Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Netscape 4.76 Problem

Netscape 4.76 Problem
DBursey
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2001, 01:11 PM

I just installed Netscape Communicator 4.76 today. My problem is that it places an AOL icon on my toolbar next to the Application menu at startup. I've searched for and deleted everything with AOL's name on it, including all preferences, extensions and Startup Items files. This little AOL "sign-on" icon will not go away. I am at a loss!

Can anyone help me in getting rid of this unwanted, annoying little icon?

DBursey  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2001, 01:24 PM

Sometimes some extra investigation is all that's needed. I found and deleted the culprit extension, cleverly (mis)named AIM Menu. If I'd been a tad more discerning the first time, I'd have realized that I merely needed to look for an extension dated 'Today'.

Thanks for indulging me in this waste of your time

euro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2001, 10:22 PM

DBursey,
If it makes you feel any better, this very same file drove me darn near insane a few months ago. I spent a solid Saturday afternoon until I finally figured it out (at some point it became a "matter of principal" - type issue...).

I like your ultimate solution - I didn't think of THAT either....

bookrat
Jan 30, 2001, 10:29 PM

Which is why a took up the advice offered a while ago in a thread at AI wherein I changed the label on all files in my System folder one particular colour so I would know what's been inserted during each new install

Just make sure you pick a colour which you like or change the colour to something soothing for you

------------------
post_count+1
qp
post_count+1
qp

Forum Links
Forum Rules