Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple's Financial Analyst Meeting

Apple's Financial Analyst Meeting
gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jan 31, 2001, 06:16 PM

Very, very interesting. You'd miss something if you missed it.

Firstly, there was this guy named Wayne who was desperately trying to fix Steve's clicker and succeeded after about 15 minutes (some guy asked, "Will Wayne have a job tomorrow?" and Steve started laughing and said, "Definitely. But he should be glad it isn't MacWorld!" Nice bit).

Steve said that they will ship PB G4's in February as well as everything else, so who knows what's going on.

He also said that they have a free 6th space in their product matrix and that it's a very hard space to fill. He said current PDAs are not great because they offer very limited access to the internet and they can't expand as quickly as the internet. He said that they are working on "appliances of this kind" but that he can't talk about products that haven't been announced. I don't know what this means.

Someone asked about Wintel compatibility and he said that we're working heavily on it but he can't talk about unannounced products.

I'm only about 45 minutes, so he's still doing his "this is what we do" speech about iDVD and company, but if anyone found anything else please post back. I'll post back if there's anything really telling.

(He's insulting RealNetworks now, gotta go )

------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

bookrat
Jan 31, 2001, 08:24 PM

Didn't catch anything interesting. Had to go when they switched to the cheesy music for the break. That and the fact that my PB siezed prompted me to get back to work

------------------
post_count+1
qp
post_count+1
qp

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2001, 08:28 PM

bah, it's all BS... a four hour Macworld keynote for dummies.

bookrat
Jan 31, 2001, 08:47 PM

Well that's what is really is isn't it Misha? A MWSF keynote for the bean counters. Still can't get over Phil's enthusiasm

------------------
post_count+1
qp
post_count+1
qp

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jan 31, 2001, 09:22 PM

of course it's like macworld for dummies. still, i think it's worth it for the Q+A sometimes. i completely tuned out when Steve kept talking about iDVD (I know, Steve, I know), but some of those analysts asked some questions that I would have liked a straight answer to.

unfortunately, steve dodged some of them and he couldn't speak about unannounced products, so that was down the drain.

I thought the beginning was interesting, but I've changed my mind about the rest. I think the Wayne thing was just hilarious, though -- boy, that guy must have been nervous as hell. Half of Apple Corporate was sitting there waiting (on air) for him to fix Steve's Clicker. Terrible.

Basically, it was worth it for Wayne, and Steve did directly acknowledge that they are doing *something* for the 6th space, which is reassuring. I was beginning to think they were going to leave it blank. It could be filled in a year or two from now though, who knows.

whatever, wayne was funny

------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules