Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Making the OS move to 'da musak!

Making the OS move to 'da musak!
srfdriver22
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 07:53 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster. (Just registered)

I'm currently listening to some music and was wondering if there was something out there that would make the UI move to the music?

What I have in mind would be something similar to those bars in winamp but as a desktop background and more pleasing. Possibly the same effect but with a different type of output? (winamp can do different types of displays under the playing time, like a line and so forth).

Just an odd curiousity. It would be neat.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2003, 10:12 PM

Well, there are visualizations in iTunes. Is that what you mean? You can set that full screen. Other than that, there are bars in iTunes as well, just click the title of the playing song and it'll switch to bars.

And then there is this for extra fun.

[edit] The link I provided seems to only be the idea and not the implementation. There was something a while back that actually did this but I cannot find it. I'm looking...
( Last edited by Xeo; Sep 30, 2003 at 10:17 PM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2003, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
[edit] The link I provided seems to only be the idea and not the implementation. There was something a while back that actually did this but I cannot find it. I'm looking...
Yes, there already was something like this. It never worked properly though, and it doesn't seem to be availible anywhere on the net.

It was a hack from MacHack btw...

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2003, 04:58 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Yes, there already was something like this. It never worked properly though, and it doesn't seem to be availible anywhere on the net.

It was a hack from MacHack btw...
Yeah, I figured that out. I searched for quite a while and finally came across the reference to Mac Hack 2001, good ol' 10.0 days. Sadly, the .Mac account it used to be hosted on is gone, probably since it went pay.

Mac Hack brings us fun stuff every year, but unfortunately they are abandoned as fast as they are created. (mostly)

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2003, 05:13 AM

aww and I could have loved that little app
Aloha

srfdriver22  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2003, 06:26 PM

I wasn't necessarily talking about iTunes specifically, rather, the desktop. It would be best if the UI would beat to the music but that's a little too ambitious.

I don't want the visualizations because they're too distracting. But if I were to be listening to music right now, I would like to see the desktop reacting to the music's beat as if the music were coming from the desktop itself.

Now, maybe this could be colors or something, but not the full blown visualizations because setting that as your desktop background is somewhat of a resource hog not to mention too distracting. (And useless if you have a lot of windows open).

Forum Links
Forum Rules