Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Router recommendations

Router recommendations
jszrules
Senior User
Sep 19, 2006, 04:42 PM

Hi, I have an iMac and an HP laptop and would like to receive internet connectivity on both simultaneously when I am home. What cheap (but good!) routers/switches would you recommend? Thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 19, 2006, 07:13 PM

Most consumer-grade wireless routers are "inexpensive." That can mean "less than $150" or "less than $50." Shop and compare. There are as many differing opinions about what's a "good" router as there are people-maybe more. I like Linksys because I've never had a problem with their stuff, but others have had horrible expreiences with Linksys but not a hint of trouble with Netgear...

Go with a "known brand" like Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, and so on rather than something that sounds off the wall; if you've never heard of the company, ask here (I guarantee you'll get some sort of response!).

Search, search, search! Here's a page of hits for wireless routers that you can start comparing. You want "WiFi" compatible equipment, which is synonymous with "802.11b/802.11g" standard compatible. There is NO difference in how Macs and PCs are supported because they're all supporting the standard, not the computer.

Good luck and WELCOME to wireless networking!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Sep 23, 2006, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. I got my router, configured it, and now both my computers receive internet connection simultaneously. The next thing I want to do is move some files from my Mac to the PC using the network. I enabled Windows File Sharing on my Mac and made it so that my Public and Drop Box folders both have Read Only access for 'Group' and 'Other'. So how do I go about accessing my Mac from my PC? I'm not too familar with Windows...I've tried My Network Places and Map Network Drive, but no success...

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 23, 2006, 07:57 PM

It works best to open "My Network Places" and click "Add Network Place" in the left hand pane. You'll need to enter the Mac's IP address and probably the path to the public and drop box folders-but they might show up once you connect to the IP. Once a Network Place is added, it's persistent and you can go there any time by double clicking on it (as long as it currently exists, of course; you'll get an error eventually if the Mac is off or asleep).

Enjoy!

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Sep 23, 2006, 08:48 PM

Each time I try to add the network place (the same address that the Mac's System Prefs provides), the process on the PC gets hung up and stalls. There has to be some security setting on the PC that I have overlooked. I'm pretty sure my Mac is ready to share files and I don't think I've enabled any setting on the router that would prevent sharing. The PC was issued by my company...perhaps there are some default settings to consider? But I don't know where to look...

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 24, 2006, 06:20 AM

Windows XP's firewall automatically blocks file sharing unless you specifically allow it. And Windows' "simple file sharing" is really "simply not sharing files." Turning that off requires you to open an Explorer window, go to the Tools menu, pick Folder Options, click on the View tab (getting all this?) and then scroll all the way to the bottom of the Advanced Settings pane. It's worth it-that one stupid checkbox will hurt you a lot! Once you have that unchecked, it's a good idea to reboot the XP machine.

Good luck.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2006, 07:14 AM

Zone Alarm also blocks a lot of things and accounts for wacky behaviour.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Sep 24, 2006, 12:03 PM

That Simple File Sharing box was already unchecked, but for some reason, when I booted up my PC this morning, everything suddenly worked. I think the reason is because this time, I did not connect to my company's VPN when I first logged onto the computer...that makes sense since it would prevent my PC from seeing other networks if I'm logged into a VPN...

Anyway, my PC can now see the files in my Mac's Home folder and I can drag them onto the PC! However, I now have a new issue...my Mac's Home folder is set up so that its Public folder is the only directory with the 'Group' and 'Other' access set to something other than "No Access". But for some reason, my PC can open the other folders in my Home folder as well, such as Library, Documents, etc...not sure why...

Thanks for everyone's help so far!
( Last edited by jszrules; Sep 24, 2006 at 12:46 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules