Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Let's see how long this takes.

Let's see how long this takes.
Zatt
Oct 24, 2003, 05:51 PM

I just ordered my 15" PowerBook G4 (1.25GHz)/512MB RAM/60GB HD/Combo-Drive/Backlit Keyboard/AirPort Extreme Card, about 5 minutes ago. Since there have been some questions on how long it will take to get a new 15" PB, I wanted to post this to keep track of EXACTLY how long it will take to get it.

Let's see the efficiency of Apple Computers.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 08:02 PM

I'm still waiting on AAFES to quote me my price since I'm both Active Duty and a Student... [Is on knees and hopes for EDU price] I had them quote a 15" PowerBook G4 (1.25GHz)/512MB RAM/80GB HD/Super-Drive/Backlit Keyboard/AirPort Extreme Card/and don't forget the outstanding Bluetooth. It takes them a while to contact Apple, then contact me, then I have to say "yes, purchase it", then they send the order to Apple. Then who knows when they ship it... But it�s worth not having to pay tax. I say I'll have it in about a month. But thats perfectly fine... No worries... I hope you get your beautiful machine soon Zatt@

Zatt  (op)
Oct 25, 2003, 07:01 AM

Good luck on getting your Powerbook! I know how shipping in the military works. Funny thing is that I've been pretty calm about getting the thing. I think that is because I know that it's on order and that it will be shipped. Until I actually placed the order, it never seemed as if I'd ever get the money together to buy the thing.

BTW, this will be my first Apple computer since my Apple ][c (rock solid machine - it worked perfectly until I gave it to charity about 2 years ago). I'm looking forward to it.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Zatt:
Let's see the efficiency of Apple Computers.
Apple Computer, not Computers.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 10:49 AM

For some reason I am not too concerned either on how long it takes... I have no deadlines or projects to start. So we will see! Wow the Apple ][c... Haven't touched those in a long time! Good luck on switching!

spectreman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by spatterson:
I'm still waiting on AAFES to quote me my price since I'm both Active Duty and a Student...
Holy smack me with a beaver! You can get Apples through AAFES now? Must go look on website.... thanks for the heads up.

Commander
A/1-178 IN

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by spectreman:
Holy smack me with a beaver! You can get Apples through AAFES now? Must go look on website.... thanks for the heads up.
They don't carry the current up-to-date stuff so if you want any of the new powerbooks just put in a special order using their "Special Order program", and specify the model number you want!! Apple is a participating vendor so it takes about a week to get your quote back... Make sure to ask for your fed employee discount!

Zatt  (op)
Oct 31, 2003, 03:54 AM

It's been one week. Status is still "Open". In some way, I'm taking comfort in the fact that they may be getting better screens on the 15"PB. I'd like to think so.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2003, 04:43 AM

I ordered a 15.2 | 1.0 | 256MB | SD | 60 | AE | BL on 20 Oct and it was delivered from Taiwan to AL on the 27th. 2 days to build 5 days in transit is not bad. I still haven't got it yet, sent it to my Mom and she sent it to my APO.

Also ordered the Panther update on the 22nd and it was delivered the 27th. I can't wait, I'm going to camp out at the post office.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2003, 05:50 AM

If any SkandinaviansI is reading this and have ordered recently a Powerbook 12" 1Ghz from Apple online store. Please share how long it took from order ot delivery....

if anyone else out there can also share ther ordertime...

I ordered mine PB 12" 28 oktober (haven�t got it yet it�s stiil "building")

Zatt  (op)
Nov 6, 2003, 12:40 AM

I just checked to see if my PB had been shipped today, as it was supposed to be... "Shipped on or by 11/05/2003". Not so! Due to an "unexpected delay", it will be shipped "on or by 12/01/2003".

It better be perfect.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by spectreman:
Holy smack me with a beaver!
That's the first time I've ever heard that saying�smack me with a beaver. Sounds funny.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2003, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by Crusoe:
I ordered a 15.2 | 1.0 | 256MB | SD | 60 | AE | BL on 20 Oct and it was delivered from Taiwan to AL on the 27th. 2 days to build 5 days in transit is not bad. I still haven't got it yet, sent it to my Mom and she sent it to my APO.

Also ordered the Panther update on the 22nd and it was delivered the 27th. I can't wait, I'm going to camp out at the post office.
Update it arrived at my APO on 4 Nov but is 220KMs away and there's a frickin 36 hour gas strike.
So 15 days from order to the US and then through the APO system. Not bad.

Down with the Unions!
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2003, 09:38 AM

I'm interested in this thread, as my wife and I are about to order a PBs.

I'm curious, what are the factors (known or otherwise) that affect shipping times? I understand BTO PBs will take a little longer, I've read about the 5400rpm drive delay. What about Educational orders? What else? Any details will be appreciated.

And, when we place our orders (very soon, I hope), I'll keep you posted on the progress!

Zatt  (op)
Nov 7, 2003, 10:13 AM

I really don't know about the official reason for the delays in the 15" PB sales. Rumors have been thrown around about the hard drives, the 'white spot' issues with the 15" screens and other items. I have a strong feeling that Apple is exercising some quality control on the 15" PB's, which would probably slow down their order processing.

My order was BTO and under a local govt. employee discount. I would assume that those two facts may have something to do with a possible delay. Of course, assumptions usually get me nowhere.

I'm generally an optimist and am hoping for a 'perfect' 15" PB. I can't help but feeling that Apple is trying to do what they can to satisfy their customer base.

Realistically, do I want to wait for my computer? No. I also understand that some companies have a 'Please allow four to six weeks for shipping' policy as a standard. If delays make me wait four to six weeks, that doesn't seem too bad. I'm just an impatient person!

Go Bears!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 11:26 AM

I ordered exactly the same config as you did at 5:00 PST on October 22 through the online store for education.

PBG4 15.2/1.25GHZ/512/60/CMBO/AP/BL/LL

And the original ship date was November 6th, and now its been dropped to December 2nd. So its four more weeks for me too. However, they did claim when I called them yesterday afternoon and they claimed that it was in the final stage of production and should ship out in 12-24 hours. We'll see if that happens.

eric

Zatt  (op)
Nov 7, 2003, 03:18 PM

Shipping tomorrow would be nice. I just checked on my order status and it was, disappointingly, 'open'.

I would assume that you're somewhere in the midwest, being a Bears fan? If so, then you're not that far from me (as far as shipping would be concerned).

You and I have the same order, possibly live in the same geographical region, and ordered our PB's only two days apart. Hmm... Let's see if our computers ship and get to us with two days of difference.

It would be interesting to know if shipping dates are based upon computer construction, location of delivery and date of order. My guess is that they're probably pretty random.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 04:22 PM

I'm still waiting on AAFES to quote me my price since I'm both Active Duty and a Student... [Is on knees and hopes for EDU price] I had them quote a 15" PowerBook G4 (1.25GHz)/512MB RAM/80GB HD/Super-Drive/Backlit Keyboard/AirPort Extreme Card/and don't forget the outstanding Bluetooth. It takes them a while to contact Apple, then contact me, then I have to say "yes, purchase it", then they send the order to Apple. Then who knows when they ship it... But it�s worth not having to pay tax. I say I'll have it in about a month. But thats perfectly fine... No worries... I hope you get your beautiful machine soon Zatt@
The AAFES deal fell though... They won't give me a student discount or a federal discount. It�s pretty lame of them not to discount the PB if you ask me. Guess it looks like taxes are unavoidable. I will just order it directly from Apple. The guy at the Apple store said they had plenty of 15"PB SD in stock and that they would give me a "Panther Sleeve" whatever that means. I don�t want a PB from there stock. I will just order it off the web. Perhaps I will get a newer batch....

Go Bears!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 05:40 PM

>I would assume that you're somewhere in the midwest, being a Bears fan? If so, then you're not that far from me (as far as shipping would be concerned).

Actually its referring to College Football, namely the Cal Bears. So I'm in the Bay Area and my order status is still "open" right now and they've refreshed the order status page to the new December date. It was stuck on the old Nov 6th date for a few hours after they sent me the bad news e-mail.

Eric

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 07:32 PM

Product Name: PowerBook 1.25GHz (15.2" TFT)
Options:
065-4116 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
065-4541 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
065-4118 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200 rpm
065-4119 SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
065-4496 AirPort Extreme Card
065-4495 Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
Unit Price: $2,389.00
Quantity: 1
Net Price: $2,389.00
Estimated time to ship: 10-15 bus.days

Part Number: M8853LL/A
Product Name: APP for PowerBook (w/ or w/o display) - Enrollment Kit
Unit Price: $239.00
Net Price: $239.00
Estimated time to ship: 1-2 bus.days

SUBTOTAL: $2,628.00

Well its saying 10-15 business days and thats BTO... I guess thats not so good...oh well...
( Last edited by spatterson; Nov 7, 2003 at 07:46 PM. )

EvanV
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2003, 07:37 PM

1-2 days for Apple Care. 10-15 for the PowerBook.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by EvanV:
1-2 days for Apple Care. 10-15 for the PowerBook.
Yeah that pretty much sucks... But I still think its better than buying one that is in the Apple store.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2003, 08:13 PM

Wow - interesting. I ordered my Mac 128k from AAFES in 1985. Ft Wainwright, AK. Got it pretty quick. Perhaps they just facilitated the purchase with a local dealer - there were a few of us who bought them. $3000+. ****.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Nov 8, 2003, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by danbrew:
Wow - interesting. I ordered my Mac 128k from AAFES in 1985. Ft Wainwright, AK. Got it pretty quick. Perhaps they just facilitated the purchase with a local dealer - there were a few of us who bought them. $3000+. ****.
Lol, you're the first one I've heard from that did. How long was it useable? Wasn't another model with 10 times the RAM out almost right after?
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

registar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2003, 11:25 AM

Mac 128K. Wow! That must be worth something now. Maybe not much - but at least something.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:
Lol, you're the first one I've heard from that did. How long was it useable? Wasn't another model with 10 times the RAM out almost right after?
Apparently, the 128k was more of a proof of concept and the RAM was very restrictive. The next model, the 512k or "Fat Mac," had 4x the RAM. Much more useful.

In fact, Mac software development had to take place on the Lisa until the 512k came out, because of the lack of RAM on the 128k. Another interesting fact I heard (I don't know if it's true) is that the original Mac that Steve Jobs first did a public demo on had extra memory installed without his knowledge, so he'd be able to perform the tasks required for the demo. Yeah, the 128k really didn't have enough memory for a graphical system (although 128k was plenty for an Apple II).

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

jendmb34
Nov 11, 2003, 11:09 AM

Product Name: PowerBook 1.25GHz (15.2" TFT)
Options:
065-4116 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
065-4541 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
065-4118 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200 rpm
065-4119 SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
065-4496 AirPort Extreme Card
065-4495 Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
Unit Price: $2,389.00
Net Price: $2,389.00
Estimated time to ship: 10-15 bus.days

just ordered that same computer last night. set to ship on or before 12/4. this is my first laptop and my first mac. here's to hoping everything comes out okay!

Go Bears!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 12:30 PM

Hey, it shipped today via FedEx. They predict delivery on November 18th before 10:30AM. Looks like I may be a little late to work on the 18th. :-)

Once again my config was:
15.2/1.25GHZ/512/60/CMBO/AP/BL/LL

and I ordered it on October 22nd

eric

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2003, 02:53 PM

That's great, Eric. It looks like it took them about 2 weeks from order to ship. My wife and I both ordered 15" PBs on yesterday (separate educational orders, we're both advanced degree students). While the status is still "open," the estimated shipping date is "on or before 12/04/2003."

We ordered:
PBG4 15.2/1.25GHZ/512/60/CMBO/AP/SW1/BLL

Will keep you posted!

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2003, 08:01 PM

Hey, i ordered on the 24th or 25th of oct. Changed my order (added superdrive) around nov 1st. Had an estimated ship date of nov 24th, got here today (fedex said tomorrow morning). All in all not to bad - i love it so far - 15 off the shelf 1.25

Saleo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2003, 12:11 AM

^^^

Same here. Supposed to arrive tommorow and the fedex guy showed up today. All together this week has been a pleaseant suprise with them shipping it earlier then the delayed date and it arriving earlier and at the exact time I was leaving for the day.

Zatt  (op)
Nov 14, 2003, 01:11 AM

It sounds like they're starting to get rolling at Apple! I'm hoping that mine will ship within the week. Time moves too slowly when you're waiting for something that you REALLY want. I'm sure that checking the order status twice a day doesn't help at all.

Zatt  (op)
Nov 24, 2003, 07:56 AM

Well, it's been one full month and the computer didn't ship yet. I'd really like to be able to work with the computer that I paid $2200.00+ for a month ago!

-Q-
Nov 24, 2003, 11:02 AM

I can understand your frustration but I don't think you've actually paid for anything yet. Federal law prohibits companies charging for products that cannot be delivered within a 'reasonable' time frame.

Hopefully it will ship soon tho' and it was only delayed b/c they were correcting the screen issue.

patmcfar8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2003, 01:53 PM

That sucks Zatt. I ordered my BTO 15" AlPB on 10/10 through CompUSA and received it on 10/24. No white spots and I love it. Hope yours comes soon.

Zatt  (op)
Nov 24, 2003, 07:40 PM

I must keep in mind that soon, it will come, and the WORLD WILL BE MINE!!! (Insert evil laughter here.)

Zatt  (op)
Nov 28, 2003, 05:52 PM

Beware, I'm having a bad day and this is a rant:

Well, they have one more business day to ship my PB before they have to give me a new shipping date. I wanted to give Apple the benefit of the doubt earlier, with the some of the quality control issues and whatnot, but it is obvious that there's something else going on.

In looking at this and other forums, there are people who ordered their PB's after I did, who've had them shipped, and/or have them in their possession.

I have to admit that if they simply give me a new shipping date, that I'm going to seriously reconsider my order and get a refund so that I can order another computer that I can actually use, instead of hope to get.

Apple computers may be nice, but if you can't get one, who cares?

I'm definitely beginning to loose patience.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by Zatt:
Beware, I'm having a bad day and this is a rant:

Well, they have one more business day to ship my PB before they have to give me a new shipping date. I wanted to give Apple the benefit of the doubt earlier, with the some of the quality control issues and whatnot, but it is obvious that there's something else going on.

In looking at this and other forums, there are people who ordered their PB's after I did, who've had them shipped, and/or have them in their possession.

I have to admit that if they simply give me a new shipping date, that I'm going to seriously reconsider my order and get a refund so that I can order another computer that I can actually use, instead of hope to get.

Apple computers may be nice, but if you can't get one, who cares?

I'm definitely beginning to loose patience.
u just gotta be patient. there have been others before you that had to deal with late shipment from Apple. It always happens after a new release. think of it as luck. some are luckier than others. atleast, you know you will be receiving an awesome machine.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Zatt  (op)
Dec 2, 2003, 08:28 AM

Ok... I recovered from my ranting just in time to get the great news! I have ANOTHER extention to my shipping date. It has once more been pushed back. This time it was pushed back to 12/11/03.

I called Apple and asked what the hold up was. As usual, I didn't get anyone who knew any more than I would if I just looked up the website and saw the status as "Open".

I asked for a manager, and spoke to another person who FINALLY gave me something concrete. He said that my PB was already built and was in transit from Taiwan to the United States so that it can link up with my wireless mouse. Once they are together, they'll ship together. I asked him if I'd get it by the 11th, since I've already been up this creek before. He said that he was optimistic that the package would probably get to me sooner, maybe a week.

Yeah, I heard that one before.

Patience... (breathe) Patience... (breathe)

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 10:04 AM

I ordered my 12" PB from the Apple Store Europe on 13 November. My payment went through on 16 November. I was told it had shipped on 22 November. It apparently arrived in Europe on 1 December. On 2 December it was shipped to my local TNT depot (in Belgium) for delivery. A few hours later it was rerouted to Toulouse (south of France). Now TNT say it's in Bordeaux (SW France).

Zatt  (op)
Dec 9, 2003, 08:52 PM

Still no light at the end of the tunnel. I'm trying to be patient, but it's getting harder and harder. They have two days to ship my PB before I get another 'order delayed' notice. Which, at this point, I'm betting I get.

I have to admit, they are prompt with their email notifications telling me that they won't be prompt in shipping my order.

Can anyone tell me what kind of awards Apple's 'award winning' customer service won? I'm just not seeing it.

On the other hand, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised by the end of the week. I'd like to be.

Mike656
Dec 9, 2003, 11:48 PM

I just got my Powerbook 15 inch with superdrive today from Mac Business Solutions in Gaithersburg MD, they have 31 machines identical to mine that just arrived in the store (1 BTO for a client, and 30 for a business). Since I called about a week earlier regarding this laptop, they let me silde out with one of the taken machines . Getting this computer was as simple as walking into the store, asking for what I wanted, and paying. All in all it took me 30 minutes or so (they were pretty busy). BTW this is a week 50 machine, fresh off the line .

Zatt  (op)
Dec 10, 2003, 02:24 AM

Sure, just rub it in.

biosphere
Dec 10, 2003, 10:27 AM

I would cancel the order. There is absolutely NO reason to wait 6 weeks for a computer.

Zatt  (op)
Dec 10, 2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by biosphere:
I would cancel the order. There is absolutely NO reason to wait 6 weeks for a computer.
Yeah, I thought long and hard about doing just that. I'm thoroughly put out by the terrible service that I've received.

But, I've decided against that. I really want to get my PB. After all of the research that I've done, it seems to be the computer that I want to go with. I just hope that it's worth all of the 'hype'. It's also become a sort of game to see how long it will take Apple to process my order, and how many times I can get the run-around by their customer service people.

I was hopeful when 'Mike' told me that my computer was already built and on its way from Taiwan on 12/01/2003. He said at that time that he was optimistic about it shipping within the week. (Insert insane laughter here.)

I'm pretty sure that by this time tomorrow, I'll have another extension in my email inbox and I'll be calling another customer service rep to get some other lame story.

Being a first time Mac buyer, I'm not impressed by my experience. Any PC would've been here more than a month ago. I can readily say that if this computer isn't as cool as you all say it is, then I'm not buying another Mac, nor would I recommend an Apple computer to anyone.

This is so ridiculous that it's laughable.

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 09:58 PM

The computer store I work in has plenty of 1.25ghz G4 15"s.

Cancel your Apple order, and buy one from us.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

malkavxxx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2003, 08:24 AM

Hi, im new to this forum and to apple too (Switching from WINXP/Linux). I bought my PB (12", 512MB, 60GB HD, AP-Card) through the german apple store on 11/30. It arrived 12/9, it is beautiful and so far i notived not a single problem, so i am a fairly satisfied customer. My only complain can be the Apple's online order tracking. It says, my PB should be in Luxembourg by now.
But, using http://www.apecode.com/appletrack.php, I was able to track the Package to my door

BTW, i love the look and feel of panther, even though i have to say that i never had any problem with winxp (neither hardware-integration nor system instability)

Cheers,

T.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2003, 10:29 AM

Woah, Zatt, still not got it??

Crikey.

Mine finally arrived (THANK GOD!!!!) last Friday.

I LOVE IT.

Worth every second of the wait! Not that this helps you.

To be honest, my wait (nearly a month) would have been far more bearable if they had been honest with me up front and told me how long it would take; also if their own order tracking system had been better.

In the end, I got on the blower direct to TNT and they were highly efficient, found my PB, corrected the address, and got it to me within 24 hours.

And it is A BEAUTY (even if it has one dead pixel).

Zatt  (op)
Dec 11, 2003, 07:09 PM

Sweet! Another delay! I'm getting so good at predicting this, I should go out and buy a lottery ticket! New shipping date is 12/19/2003. I'll probably get it on 12/19/2004, or something like that. We'll see!

I did speak to a customer service supervisor, though, and they've upgraded my order to 'overnight' (which is funny, because I've already waited seven weeks for it to ship, so who the hell cares?) and is now sending me a free $100.00 Kensington car power adaptor. I'd laugh if I get that before I get my PB. Nice thing is that the lady that I spoke to said that it is 'on the floor, waiting to ship'. She also said, 'That's strange, I don't know why it didn't go out today.' No kidding it's strange!

... And the waiting game continues. Gimmie your best shot, Apple, I can take it!

Vi0
Baninated
Dec 11, 2003, 08:09 PM

Why not just go to an Apple store or a reseller like CompUSA and buy one on the spot??? Dude, just cancel it no matter if they say it will ship tommorrow. Nobody should wait 7 weeks or so, and if you don't cancel they will just do this same thing to someone else.

Forum Links
Forum Rules