Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > workgroup server 7520/120

workgroup server 7520/120
defcon8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 03:27 AM

we've got a workgroup server 7520/120 and we are trying to get any os working on it atall. We have only a pc to write floppies and it wont boot cd's. can anyone help? i dont mind atall which os could be installed on it.

JMHammer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2004, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by defcon8:
we've got a workgroup server 7520/120 and we are trying to get any os working on it atall. We have only a pc to write floppies and it wont boot cd's. can anyone help? i dont mind atall which os could be installed on it.
There is no such thing as a Workgroup Server 7520. I assume this was just a typing transposition and you meant a Workgroup Server 7250/120.

I'm also not sure if you mean your PC is the only device you have which can write to floppies and the PC won't boot; or that this Mac won't boot from a CD.

It would be nice to know more about what is installed on this Mac, such as RAM and hard drive, but it would be even nicer to know what you want to do with it. Do you want to use it as a workstation or a server? Or do you just want to be able to read and write to old-style 3.5" floppy disks?

If all you want to do is read and write to floppies, buy a floppy drive that will work with one of your other computers. There is no sense in trying to get an old machine to work just to read and write old media. External floppy drives, with all kinds of interfaces from parallel to SCSI to USB, are available for both Macs and PCs. A quick look at eBay shows drives like this going for $10 to $30.

If you want to set up this computer as a server, forget it: It's too old and you will never be happy with its network performance unless every workstation that will be served by it is as old (and slow) or older.

If you want to set up this computer as a workstation, it is identical in every way to the PowerMac 7200 - it just came with included server software and usually more RAM and a bigger hard drive. It can run Mac OS 7.5.2 through Mac OS 9.1.x � I'd suggest Mac OS 8.1 which you can find for $5 to $10 on eBay or reputable resellers such as PowerMax. But if this computer can't read from its CD drive or for some other reason can't boot from its CD drive, then you'll need to find the system software on floppy. And anyone selling you the system software on floppy might be selling you nothing but the floppy itself because the data on floppies degrades after a couple of years rendering them useless.

Apple offers System 7.5.5 for free. Follow this link:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60717
It will give you all the download and installation instructions. You will still need some way to get this onto the Mac, though, so I'll need more information to help you further.

Best wishes,
John H
G4 Cube (1ghz one-processor upgrade from PowerLogix, 120gb WD HD w/8mb cache, 1.5gb RAM, original-equipment CD-RW, original-equipment Radeon w/32mb, Airport card), 17" ADC Apple LCD, Mac OS X 10.3.5 and Mac OS 9.2.2, Epson Stylus Scan 2500, Zip 250 firewire from VST, 30gb firewire/USB1.1 portable drive from VST, Airport base station (snow), basic DSL bandwidth of 768down/128up, Apple Pro Keyboard, Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical... and a G4 1.25ghz/15.2" AlBook, 40gb iPod, and my beloved Palm handheld (currently a Tungsten-T).

defcon8  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2004, 02:33 AM

ok thanks for the help. im just saying i will only be able to write floppies from my pc as i dont have any other macs. i dont have any system disks or anything with it either. And i dont really know the specs of it either.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2004, 03:28 AM

Originally posted by defcon8:
ok thanks for the help. im just saying i will only be able to write floppies from my pc as i dont have any other macs. i dont have any system disks or anything with it either. And i dont really know the specs of it either.
Then buy a system CD.
If you are unable to get 7.5 from Apple onto floppies and you have no other Mac then you have no other choice but to buy a Operating System on CD.
Its simple. Nothing else can be done if you can't get that machine to boot.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

holstien
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 08:42 PM

There is a tutorial on making mac disk images on a PC at the following address that I think you can use to make boot floppies for the 7250:

http://mes.emuunlim.com/tips/bootdisk.htm

If you search apple.com and ftp.apple.com, you can find system 7.5.5 in about 14 disk images.

Good luck with your new toy!
->Crafted with care by the red-bearded pirate<-

Forum Links
Forum Rules