Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Slim down my Classic folder?

Slim down my Classic folder?
Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 04:37 PM

I heard that one is able to reduce the size of their classic System Folder by erasing unecessary files from it. It's about 180MB to start, and I heard you can end up at 60MB? (or maybe it was 120). Anyways, I don't know anything about OS 9 so I don't know what is not necessary. Do you guys have any ideas?

Ruahrc

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2004, 07:58 PM

Once upon a time, on System 7 or below, you could slim down the Mac OS so that it would fit on a single floppy. I don't know technically how small you can get an OS 9 installation to be. If you want to find out how to pair it down, you can do some research online. Basically, you'll want to start by creating a custom fresh install of OS 9 on an unused drive or partition. Select only the minimal components allowed by the Installer.

You can then reduce the size much more after this, but doing so reduces the functionality of the installation. If you just want an emergency boot disk, you can create one that keeps only the essential control panels and extensions. (For instance, as strange as it may seem, the Appearance control panel is required by the system.) It would be easier to sit down at a Mac and do this than to describe how to do it remotely. It's not a difficult process by any means.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

yukon
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 12:47 AM

Learn what the extensions do, and pare those down. Take out any MS extensions if you can (stability, size), just put them in a folder or something. Extra fonts...hmm.....leave the text encoding folder, it's fine the way it is. Clear out old prefs, leave the control panels for the most part. Check your appearance folder...that's about it.

It's been a while.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Ruahrc:
I heard that one is able to reduce the size of their classic System Folder by erasing unecessary files from it. It's about 180MB to start, and I heard you can end up at 60MB? (or maybe it was 120). Anyways, I don't know anything about OS 9 so I don't know what is not necessary. Do you guys have any ideas? Ruahrc
Back in the day when I used 9.2, I had it down to 43.5mb, and it's ram usage down to
~28.3mb (w/VM on & 256mb of ram installed). But that was only after LOTS of research on every single extension, control panel, and other items, regardless of what it was or where......system folder or otherwise

IIRC, adding the classic support files for OS X only added a few mb to the total in 10.1 & 10.2. As for 10.3, I dont know since I no longer have OS 9 on my HDs anymore
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules