Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Superdrive won't burn to blank DVD-R discs.

Superdrive won't burn to blank DVD-R discs.
TFH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2009, 04:43 PM

Burns CD's just fine; I've tried several DVD-R brands, but it won't burn to them. (Superdrive is after-market).
Burn Error Message: "Burning the disc failed because disc cannot be written to. (Error code
0x80020042)"
eMac: Machine Model:
PowerMac4,4 CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1) Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 700 MHz L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB Memory: 640 MB Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.4.2f1 OS X: 10.4.11.
Superdrive:
NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A:
Firmware Revision: 1.06
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Vendor Supported)
Profile Path: /Library/DiscRecording/DeviceProfiles/PatchBurn-_necdvd_rwnd2500a.drprofile
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No
Thank You for your help!

mkerr64
Senior User
Feb 7, 2009, 12:29 AM

not too sure. run hardware test?
R.I.P Steve Jobs

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2009, 10:16 AM

Does the drive read a known good DVD disc? The log tells me that your system can communicate fine with the optical drive. That model has two separate lasers, one for CD and the other for DVD. If the DVD functions have ceased working, your problem is hardware failure.

Do you have this drive installed internally in your eMac or is it installed into an external enclosure?

Rory Randall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2009, 05:04 PM

Searched for Error Code 0x80020042 and found a discussion on Apple's support board (now archived so further posts not allowed). Among several suggestions that did not work, one user tried cleaning the lasers using a CD/DVD cleaner. Didn't sound all that promising but I couldn't part with my computer long enough to take it in for service. Bought a Memorex CD/DVD OptiDisc cleaner (it has little brushes attached which gently dust the lasers). Worked like magic.

macwall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2009, 02:45 AM

My SuperDrive wouldn't burn DVDs after I went through a period of burning multiple DL-DVDs for a video project. Eventually I gave up trying to troubleshoot it and just went to the Apple Store to get them to replace it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules