Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 17" design flaws...

PB 17" design flaws...
emumu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 02:19 AM

According to the post from powerbookcentral.com, the 17" has some design flaws. It was announced to be shipped in Feb. Now the earliest you see is around mid March to April. According to the report, Apple is trying to resolve the cracks happened on the LCD and the AL frame. You probably don't want to receive it before they fix the problems... Hot on the HD is another problem. And also, the superdrive is not going to burn DVD with the original promised 2X. You are going to get only the very slow 1X superdrive.

I was thinking to cancel my order first and wait to makw sure these problems are resolved. Handycapped PB is not so fun. Anyone has inside news?
( Last edited by emumu; Feb 21, 2003 at 03:30 AM. )

rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 09:47 AM

These are the kind of things that kept me from pre-ordering. I jumped right on the 12" PowerBook and I guess I'm lucky that a little excessive heat is the only problem, and a minor one at that. But for the price of the 17" I want to be damn sure all is right. Although I have EPBL (Extreme PowerBook Lust) I'm holding tight until I see just whatup.

donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2003, 10:06 AM

Come on folks --every business does this when they are making a new product, its just the fact the we have a huge number of obsessive compulsive buyers with loads of cash (i hope) preordering the PB. The PB will be fine and the envy of all that look at it --dont worry.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by rambo47:
These are the kind of things that kept me from pre-ordering.
EXACTLY. As I've said before, you are rolling the dice in a big way when you order a first-run, untested, unreviewed piece of technology. Just beggging to be burned.

Guess this means we'll get to hear another round of Hippy whining and moaning about his bum Apple product.

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 11:04 AM

I'll repeat this again. And it obviously will not be the last time.

When I ordered by 17", Apple's website said 7-10 weeks. 7 weeks from the time I orded will be the last week in Feb. 10 weeks from the time I ordered will be the 3rd week in March. Shortll after I ordered, Apple revised their website and now shows a 'on or before' date. My on or before date is 3/21/2003. So, yes, I guess it could ship as late as 3/21/2003. But, it could also ship before that.

Since February is not over yet, it is a little hard pressed to say that the shipping dates have been pushed back. Especially if the only reference data is the 'on or before' dates that everyone is posting. If we get past the end of February and no retailer or AppleStore customer has received one yet, then maybe then I'll give some credence to the original post.

If there are indeed problems, then obviously I hope they get them resolved before they ship it, and as far as I'm concerned, they can take all the time they want to resolve them. If they end up releasing something else that I like in that time frame, then I'll just cancel my order and get that instead. I'm not trying to underplay the situation here, but no one can tell me they absolutely need the 17" now... considering the substantial time period between announcement and the initial estimates on the shipping date; if you needed something *now* you would not have ordered the 17".

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by PoisonTooth:
Guess this means we'll get to hear another round of Hippy whining and moaning about his bum Apple product.
If you don't like reading it, then don't - I'm assuming that no one is forcing you to click on the threads filled of "hippy whining" people.

If there were not people willing to take the chance then how would anything get resolved? If you are not willing to be the guinea pig, then deal with the banter.

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 11:09 AM

The artical states:

"One of our readers sent in the following information concerning the 17" PowerBook G4, which was originally slated to ship in February, but has now been pushed back to March or April:

"I spoke to someone who is close to inside people at Apple and I hear that the 17 inch PowerBook is not shipping because after using the first few ones that were around, the users found that the screen was not placed on a rigid enough backing (the top of the PowerBook) and tended to crack. That could make sense considering the size of the screen and the Aluminum casing. I hear that they are trying to resolve the issue and that is what is holding the shipments back."

I love this joke of a statement:

"I spoke to someone who is close to inside people at Apple"

Another piece of useless information.

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by cwasko:

When I ordered by 17", Apple's website said 7-10 weeks. 7 weeks from the time I orded will be the last week in Feb. 10 weeks from the time I ordered will be the 3rd week in March. Shortll after I ordered, Apple revised their website and now shows a 'on or before' date. My on or before date is 3/21/2003. So, yes, I guess it could ship as late as 3/21/2003. But, it could also ship before that.

Since February is not over yet, it is a little hard pressed to say that the shipping dates have been pushed back. Especially if the only reference data is the 'on or before' dates that everyone is posting. If we get past the end of February and no retailer or AppleStore customer has received one yet, then maybe then I'll give some credence to the original post.

If there are indeed problems, then obviously I hope they get them resolved before they ship it, and as far as I'm concerned, they can take all the time they want to resolve them. If they end up releasing something else that I like in that time frame, then I'll just cancel my order and get that instead. I'm not trying to underplay the situation here, but no one can tell me they absolutely need the 17" now... considering the substantial time period between announcement and the initial estimates on the shipping date; if you needed something *now* you would not have ordered the 17".
Finally, an intelligent comment. Thank you!

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 11:13 AM

Please don't feed the trolls.

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by skyman:
"I spoke to someone who is close to inside people at Apple"

Another piece of useless information. [/B]
Yea, like, how anyone reads this as a credible source is beyond me.

I speak to people that ARE inside people at Apple almost once a week. Does this mean that we speak about the 17"? Does this mean they know jack-squat about the 17"? I'll belive there is a 'delay' when 1) nothing ships in February and/or 2) My order does not ship 'on or before' 3/21/2003.

poppa kristof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 11:38 AM

Just wait when the trolls and whine-os go nuts in September when Apple doesn't release an 'updated' 17" PowerBook.

"It's 9 months old! It's outdated! Where's the version 2!"

They will forget that it shipped in mass quantity in April, not January.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2003, 11:45 AM

PowerBook Central isn't exactly positioning the story as news. In fact they end the blurb with, "Any thoughts on this?" Obviously they are putting it out there looking for somebody to corroborate things.

As for some folks personal crusade to defend Apple and their own previous comments on this subject, all I can say is your shipping date and what Apple told you up front mean nothing to me. It's my opinion that Apple's plan many months ago was to have the 12" and 17" available right after MWSF. Something happened leading up to MWSF with the 17" that threw it WAY off schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if they have units boxed up that are being subsequently returned to the production line. The biggest clue here that something rather serious went wrong is the lack of hands-on demo units in the retail stores. Moreover, do you think they wanted to have all this print and television advertising running with the 17" in there, if people couldn't go buy if or 3+ months? Did they want to drive traffic to their retail stores to buy a product that might not even be available to LOOK at, demo or buy?
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2003, 11:47 AM

Whatever gets you through the night.

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by iChristopher:
Whatever gets you through the night.
Like wise Jerry.

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 11:57 AM

As for some folks personal crusade to defend Apple and their own previous comments on this subject, all I can say is your shipping date and what Apple told you up front mean nothing to me. It's my opinion that Apple's plan many months ago was to have the 12" and 17" available right after MWSF.
And your point is?

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2003, 12:31 PM

Problem or no problem with the 17" PowerBook is somewhat irrelevant at this point. Like cwasko has pointed out numerous times over the past few weeks. Apple has not missed a ship date as of yet for this machine. I ordered mine right after the keynote. Other than a case of "gosh I wish I had mine now," I have absolutely no concerns at this moment. I could have ordered any machine that day. It just happens that I like what the 17" had to offer .
As for those reading these boards (especially the trolls), those of us who order/purchase first run machines, for the most part, know what we are doing. In my case, this isn't my first, second, or even third machine. Heck, I'm in my third decade of buying machines from Apple (original II+ owner - damn I miss that machine ). The last three machines I've bought have been first run production models. To date, I've had exactly zero issues with any of them. The last time I had an issue was with a PM 6100 that had a bad sound port. This was a unique problem which Apple fixed immediately.
Do I wish I had my 17" machine now? - Yes! Am I going to search out the web for any rumor to find a conspiracy perpetrated by Apple against us to "hide" some "flaw" that may or may not be there? - No. I have better things to do with my time. So, though I may be impatient with my desire to have this machine, I'm not going to start looking for someone to blame for a problem that may or may not exist. Even if Apple announces that an issue has arisen and there will be a delay, Bravo to them. That would demonstrate corporate responsibilty and good customer service. I would much rather have a machine that was delivered a little late that works, than one that ships early but with problems that would force me to send it back.

But, that is just one simple man's opinion
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by HvyMtlMdns:
But, that is just one simple man's opinion
You can make that two

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2003, 12:51 PM

If you don't like reading it, then don't - I'm assuming that no one is forcing you to click on the threads filled of "hippy whining" people.

If there were not people willing to take the chance then how would anything get resolved? If you are not willing to be the guinea pig, then deal with the banter.
Hippy is a specific person. He wasn't referring to "hippies" the group...

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by John123:
Hippy is a specific person. He wasn't referring to "hippies" the group...
Ah. Ok. Thanks for the correction.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 02:49 PM

The design flaws you speak of don't exist. The LCD screen is very solid, and no LCD's cracked on the Macworld show floor.

The hard drive is adequately cooled. The machine has two 50-millimeter turbine fans inside of it that provide ample cooling for that beast of a machine.

Apple makes their SuperDrives burn at 1x with a firmware tweak. This is to ensure more reliable burns. They will not ship the PowerBook with 2x burning for DVD's.

They are having problems getting 333-megahertz DDR memory. That's all.

Mark my words. The first batch of machines will not be problematic.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2003, 04:41 PM

The banter is fine. It's when the panter infuses itself in other threads that have nothing to do with the banter that it becomes a problem.

Oh, and also: I very much appreciate others being the guinea pigs with new hardware, especially when $3200 is on the line. I'd much rather know what I'm getting into instead of crossing my fingers and hoping. So, if you're one of the early testers, thanks.

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2003, 04:50 PM

Oh, and also: I very much appreciate others being the guinea pigs with new hardware, especially when $3200 is on the line. I'd much rather know what I'm getting into instead of crossing my fingers and hoping. So, if you're one of the early testers, thanks.
You're Welcome
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 04:51 PM

It's not as if being the first ones to have something is always a bad thing. Sure, there are risks involved, but it's always nice to have whatever it is first.

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 05:02 PM

The banter is fine. It's when the panter infuses itself in other threads that have nothing to do with the banter that it becomes a problem.

Yes, In general I agree. As long as things are kept on topic and do not 'infect' other topics, then all is good. But, heck that never happens with any topic

I have 2 theories when buying anything. I either buy early and big or late and small. It usualy comes down to what I can actually afford and how badly I need it. At this point in time, I can afford the new 17" and I'm in need of a new computer by the end of March, thus, I'm willing to take the plunge.

emumu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 05:59 PM

I have been always appreciating Apple's design. But, I have a couple problems with my early adoption of new products or models. For example, the cellphone. Most of the problems are that the first batch usually were not thoughtfully tested and pushed out on to the market. I waited (so as many people) so long for a model that I tought suit my needs. Then, it came out with lots of bugs in the firmware. And when the fix finally came, the price had dropped.

I just wish companies can keep whatever is promised. Many retailers of Apple's quoted for Feb. 10 delivery. Now everyone says that they have been informed for the delay to March or early April. In my case, In order to afford this baby, I sold my PC workstation just a couple weeks ago in hope that I can move onto this new platform in time. Now I end up with no machine to work on for another 6-8 weeks.

One thing I was afraid of the heat was because I burned two hard drives on my Dell simply because their over-heating problem. Heat maybe okay as long as it keep good work. Unfortunately for hard drive, if you let it be hot constantly, the life can be very short. Remember those good old days that your hard drive never died...

emumu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 06:10 PM

"The Miami Apple store received their first 17" today. They said that they expect to have some to sell by the end of February. The top cover does seem a little bit flimsy. The screen seems to bend quite easily."

-user of powerbookcentral.com

We should all go to the Apple Store to check this out. If it indeed like what it was described before that it will crack after some extensive usages. Would this be covered by AppleCare or it will be considered as 'natural wear'.

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by emumu:
Many retailers of Apple's quoted for Feb. 10 delivery. Now everyone says that they have been informed for the delay to March or early April.
Which retailers? Who is "everyone" that is saying that their order was delayed? My order was not delayed. If Apple did delay it, they did not inform me and they have not change the shipping information on my Order Status page. I'm just curious as to where you got your information.

emumu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 06:44 PM

On powerbookcentral.com there are a couple '17" PowerBook G4 shipping reports' to minotor the shipping progress. You can track there. If you ordered from Apple Online, the date 'on or before' usually is not so correct. Apple doesn't update that information in your account after you put in your order. You can call Apple's retailers for the latest shipping information as well. But, first check with the report first.

Actually for a good business practice, stores should not accept orders if they don't have stock in hand. If it allows pre-order, the specs should not be changed (in the superdrive instance),especially from the manufacture end. It's like you put out an auction for 10 telephone sets, after people put in the bid, you then make an announcement saying you only have 7 for that auction.

Anyway, we all hope that we'll receive our unit on time. If Apple cannot ship within the time frame or forsee some problems getting parts, they should not accept pre-order this early.

libratem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 07:41 PM

Last night I dropped by the Palo Alto Apple store and they had a 17" demo model. I had to stand in line, but once I got a shot at it I was impressed.

I didn't have a chance to bend the lid (heh), but the main thing that struck me was how rigid the keyboard/wristrest area was-- compared to my 15" TiBook, there was no 'bounce' or give when typing, which was reassuring. The machine has a great feel.

I wish Apple could get a 7200 rpm hard drive in a laptop. I know there's space and cooling limitations, right?....but I think I'll hold onto the 15" Ti until then.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2003, 04:47 AM

Getting back to the "rev A" thing ... when the second-generation iMacs came out in October 1999 I bought one of the first ones. New motherboard, revised enclosures, new audio, slot-loading optical drives, first iMacs with FireWire. They were great. Never heard of any major problems with those machines. I'm still using mine today.

In summer 2000 "rev B" came out ... basically the same except for the indigo/ruby/sage colors. And they had huge problems with those machines, mostly because of a grounding problem with the RGB cable (the infamous "wavy lines" on the screen).

So my point is ... you roll the dice whenever you buy.

LarsCA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by emumu:
According to the post from powerbookcentral.com, the 17" has some design flaws. It was announced to be shipped in Feb. Now the earliest you see is around mid March to April. According to the report, Apple is trying to resolve the cracks happened on the LCD and the AL frame. You probably don't want to receive it before they fix the problems... Hot on the HD is another problem. And also, the superdrive is not going to burn DVD with the original promised 2X. You are going to get only the very slow 1X superdrive.

I was thinking to cancel my order first and wait to makw sure these problems are resolved. Handycapped PB is not so fun. Anyone has inside news?
I pre-ordered the 17" last week and felt very good about it. Yesterday I went to the local Apple store to look at their demo model. I liked what I saw, although in all honesty it was a little larger than I thought, but not as large as I feared. But here's what made me question my purchase. It was running hot. I don't mean "Oh, it's kind warm" I mean burning my wrists kind of hot. I use my laptop to do a lot of typing, so my wrists rest on the powerbook. Also, I like to place it in my lap as I type. With a machine running this hot, that would become a problem.

So I started questioning my recent purchase. Did I really need FireWire 800? A 17" display? All that talk about the graphics card being slower than the ATI Radeon in the 15"? What should I do?

So all in all, after having thought through MY needs, I changed my order to a 15" 1GHz TiBook. Yes yes, I know about the flaking paint. But now at least I don't have to wait until whenever to get it. It'll be here tomorrow.

Just so you all know where I'm coming from... I'm writing this on a PB 1400cs running at 117 MHz and I don't know jack about the technical specs of this or that. All I know is my wrists felt very uncomfortable on the 17" PB and that's the major reason why I changed my mind.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2003, 09:45 AM

And also, the superdrive is not going to burn DVD with the original promised 2X. You are going to get only the very slow 1X superdrive.
So is 2x of "very slow" just slow?
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2003, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by scottiB:
So is 2x of "very slow" just slow?
1X means a 1 hour DVD will take 1 hour to burn.
2X means a 1 hour DVD will take 30 minutes to burn.

Raidiant
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2003, 11:06 AM

I have seen these powerbooks in person, the screen is incredibly pretty, but its so thin that it can easily break if you bent it in the middle, it has a screen so thin, its hard to believe that it actually works.

Also about the heat problems, even the normal ibooks famed for their high battery, noise and heat, emits a decent amount of heat after a while of use, but i'm talking about leaving it connected and opened all the time, unless your doing that the heat issues form the HD should not really come up.

and the PB 17 doesn't look like something thats movable to me

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2003, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by skyman:
1X means a 1 hour DVD will take 1 hour to burn.
2X means a 1 hour DVD will take 30 minutes to burn.
skyman, I was kidding his hyperbole...
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2003, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by Raidiant:
and the PB 17 doesn't look like something thats movable to me
What does this mean?

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2003, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by scottiB:
skyman, I was kidding his hyperbole...
LOL...LOL..LOL

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2003, 12:21 PM

New guy with one post telling us why we should buy a 15" instead of a 17". Hmmmm...

Well Apple, that's one way to clear the channel of 15's and take some of the heat off regarding 17" availability.

Originally posted by LarsCA:
I pre-ordered the 17" last week and felt very good about it. Yesterday I went to the local Apple store to look at their demo model. I liked what I saw, although in all honesty it was a little larger than I thought, but not as large as I feared. But here's what made me question my purchase. It was running hot. I don't mean "Oh, it's kind warm" I mean burning my wrists kind of hot. I use my laptop to do a lot of typing, so my wrists rest on the powerbook. Also, I like to place it in my lap as I type. With a machine running this hot, that would become a problem.

So I started questioning my recent purchase. Did I really need FireWire 800? A 17" display? All that talk about the graphics card being slower than the ATI Radeon in the 15"? What should I do?

So all in all, after having thought through MY needs, I changed my order to a 15" 1GHz TiBook. Yes yes, I know about the flaking paint. But now at least I don't have to wait until whenever to get it. It'll be here tomorrow.

Just so you all know where I'm coming from... I'm writing this on a PB 1400cs running at 117 MHz and I don't know jack about the technical specs of this or that. All I know is my wrists felt very uncomfortable on the 17" PB and that's the major reason why I changed my mind.

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by LarsCA:
This issue no longer exists with the 867 & 1GHz Ti powerbooks.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2003, 01:48 PM

New guy with one post telling us why we should buy a 15" instead of a 17". Hmmmm...

Well Apple, that's one way to clear the channel of 15's and take some of the heat off regarding 17" availability.
I presume that you're kidding! I hardly think that Apple scours the internet forums, posting away to sway buyers choices!!!

You know, some people actually prefer 15" Ti Gigabooks to the 17"er?

iBorg

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2003, 02:38 PM

So far the only flaw I've seen or care about is the fact that I don't have mine yet. This is worse than any anticipation I felt prior to christmas morning as a kid I'm tellin ya.

According to my orderstatus page I got 20 days to wait...but it's gonna seem like years as far as I'm concerned.

Maelstrom

Soon to be proud owner of a 17" AlPB

cgreer00
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by iBorg:
I presume that you're kidding! I hardly think that Apple scours the internet forums, posting away to sway buyers choices!!!

You know, some people actually prefer 15" Ti Gigabooks to the 17"er?

iBorg
yep, that's right. I am one of those people. If the Tibook 1ghz and 17 Albook were the exact same price and available to be picked up at my local Apple store, I still would have picked my Tibook. Why? Faster graphics and smaller size. The size thing is the most important, I would have HATED lugging the 17"er back and forth to school every day. The 15" isn't too bad, and it fits nicely in my Timbuk2 bag.

OSXFreak
Feb 19, 2003, 05:49 PM

Think again; whilst ATI claim that their 9000 is theoretically faster than the NVidia 440GO, Barefeats.com tested the 17"PB as being significantly faster (127.7 points vs 97.7) that the Ti15".
Go for the 17" if you want OpenGL performance!
I merely like XP; I'm having a passionate love affair with OS X

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2003, 05:57 PM

I love the 17" pb. It's sooooo huge and the screen really is sweet.

From what I remember the 17" screen was actually rather thick, it felt much more solid than that on the 15", which scared me because of it's thin-ness
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

bbjams
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 06:37 PM

I looked at the 17" today at the local apple store and the screen feels very solid, especially because it is so effortless to open, unless you grab both corners and attempt to bend it it is very rigid. It opens effortlessly so I cannot see an issue with flex in any type of normal usage. Weight is not much of an issue if you are used to working with any machine other than a subnotebook but the width will take a little to get used to. It is both awesome and intimidating. Not sure how bulky it will be to carry when you put it into a case thats made for it? Heat was not an issue at all. Speakers sound really nice but volume level is not extreme even on loudest setting.
Just my 2 cents worth...

Tom Rudderham
Feb 19, 2003, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by OSXFreak:
Think again; whilst ATI claim that their 9000 is theoretically faster than the NVidia 440GO, Barefeats.com tested the 17"PB as being significantly faster (127.7 points vs 97.7) that the Ti15".
But the MX cards don't have programmable shaders! So when Doom 3 / Deus Ex 2 come out, the 17" and 12" are stuck with very basic shadows!
Tom,
http://www.taranimationstudios.com/
1 Ghz TiBook (15")

emumu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 02:15 AM

Hmmm... I wonder why Apple 17" doesn't suppor 1600x1000 resolution? Dell 15" laptop already supported this high rez a couple years ago. Now the 17" should have even more space to pack 1600 pixels in one row isn't it? Some people saw the 17" screen and commented that it looks a bit fuzzy.

LarsCA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by OSXFreak:
I think you got it backwords. Barefeats.com concluded that the ATI was faster than the NVIDIA card in most cases. How it affects you is that when playing some games at highest resolution, you could (might? will?) experience some chopping and freezing.

However, this is just one test. Problem is no one has had a chance to run proper tests on the new 17" yet, so we really won't know until maybe a week or two after they start to ship. I'm sure this forum is going to be flooded with "Got my 17! It's awesome" the first week, followed by "Here's what I don't like..." the second week.

iChristopher! I swear on everything Holy, I do not work for Apple.
Skyman! You saying that the 867 and 1 GHz TiBooks don't flake paint? Didn't know that. Makes me feel even better about my new purchase. (I haven't got it yet. Still working off of my old trusted never crashing PB 1400.)

Raidiant
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 11:25 AM

fuzzy screen?, it looks crystal sharp to my eyes ands its incredibly bright as well.

well according to my own knowledge the ATI should be faster, however i'm not sure if powerbooks were designed to do 3D work depends on the scale your using, maya is quite a power sucker. However it is certain that the preformance will never come close to the actual workstations.

Alas the 17 inch was designed for what exatcly? sure its cool, but I would choose the 15 inch or 12 inch if it was me, the 17 inch is like a movable mini workstation desktop, not designed to be used on the go.

emumu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Raidiant:

Alas the 17 inch was designed for what exatcly? sure its cool, but I would choose the 15 inch or 12 inch if it was me, the 17 inch is like a movable mini workstation desktop, not designed to be used on the go. [/B]

I think this seems to be the trend. Dell introduced a workstation class laptop 'Precision Workstation M50' which can house up to P4-M 2.4 MHz with 15" UXGA (1600x1200) and nVidia Quaddro4 500 or 700 Go video card. I think it just like you said it would replace one of the monsters out of your den. I did sold my PC workstation and ordered a 17". The only thing is that Apple is so far behind the PC in terms of the speed and display...

Forum Links
Forum Rules