Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Adding Bluetooth to a Power Mac

Adding Bluetooth to a Power Mac
Brian Live
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 09:05 PM

Anyone done it? Have suggestions?
-Brian

 PowerMac G5 | Dual 2GHz PPC | 2.5 GB RAM | 30" Cinema Display
 Macbook Pro | 2.2 GHz Core2Duo | 2 GB RAM

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 10:43 PM

USB Bluetooth adapter? Works fine for me (I got a D-Link but any decent brand should be fine).
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2006, 04:12 AM

I added the internal Bluetooth module if that's what you're asking. The external USB modules work fine too.

Installing it is pretty simple. Just pop open the G5, remove some fans, and screw it in. I think the internal Bluetooth module comes with instructions or you can find them online: http://www.pomme-grenette.org/site/article.php?id=79

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2006, 07:33 AM

I've added the module to my G5 too. It really isn't hard to fit (amazingly small though), and it works great - without taking up an external USB port.

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2006, 08:06 AM

Use a d-link plugged into my keyboard, works great

OreoCookie
Mar 16, 2006, 09:00 AM

I used to have a D-Link adapter and it worked flawlessly, no difference compared to the internal Bluetooth module.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Alcoholica
Mar 16, 2006, 12:10 PM

I too have a D-Link adapter, which works exactly the same as my iBook's internal module did.

mountainash
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2006, 09:31 AM

Nearly any USB bluetooth module will work. Don't pay more than 25USD for a Bluetooth v1.1 or v1.2 module. In fact you should be able to pick them up for around 10USD.

Just plug it in, and you should get the bluetooth logo on your menu bar.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Brian Live  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2006, 09:19 PM

I purchased the D-Link Bluetooth Adaptor at the Apple Store. I bought it to use with my Bluetooth Apple Keyboard. However, every day or so I get a "Connection Lost" message.

After about 30 seconds it seems to reconnect. Any idea what's up with that?

Thanks.
-Brian

 PowerMac G5 | Dual 2GHz PPC | 2.5 GB RAM | 30" Cinema Display
 Macbook Pro | 2.2 GHz Core2Duo | 2 GB RAM

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Live
I purchased the D-Link Bluetooth Adaptor at the Apple Store. I bought it to use with my Bluetooth Apple Keyboard. However, every day or so I get a "Connection Lost" message.

After about 30 seconds it seems to reconnect. Any idea what's up with that?

Thanks.
Make sure you've got it plugged in to a known good USB port, and make sure you've applied all the Apple bluetooth firmware updates. If it still drops connections, then you may have a malfunctioning bluetooth adapter - or BT keyboard. Also make sure there's no known RF interference (i.e., a wireless 801.11 transceiver sitting right next to the bluetooth adapter).

jamesgrant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2006, 09:34 AM

I have the internal module, but there is a connector on one side (not antenna connection).
Is this part supposed to fit into any connector on the motherboard?
My mb has noplace to connect, just the screw holes.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2006, 04:32 AM

D-Link DBT-120. Works Great.

This review on NewEgg sums it up:

Pros: Apple recommends this adapter for use with Mac OS and provides specific firmware to use with it. As such, it works great with my G4 running 10.4 and a Moto V551 phone and HS820 headset.

Cons: None, it works great, Apple style.

Other Thoughts: A bit pricey compared to others. Worth it to get the Apple seal of approval and compatibility, but the Windows crowd could get by more cheaply.
--------

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127117

At last check on Apple's website this is truly the ONLY adapter that Apple recommends. I had a Linksys USB adapter for a few months, and it had all bluetooth functionality EXCEPT the ability to connect a bluetooth headset(for iChat, Skype, etc.)

I then purchased this D-Link adapter, removed the Linksys/plugged in the D-Link, and I gained that headset functionality.

If you're ever thinking of using a headset, gotta get this adapter.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules