Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: Adobe CS3 Design Premium (educational) new, unopened

FS: Adobe CS3 Design Premium (educational) new, unopened
dmcnickle
Senior User
Apr 30, 2007, 02:15 PM

I have a new, unopened Educational Version of Adobe CS3 Design Premuim for sale.
The educational version is the same as the retail version except it doesn't have printed manuals.
I am asking $700 shipped.

I have sold on this forum, FredMiranda forums and have 100% feedback on ebay (dmcnickle - username)

pm or email if interested.

xfiftyfour
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2007, 02:37 PM

just fyi, I think you've priced it too high considering any student could get it from academicsuperstore for $590 shipped.
15.4-inch Glossy 2.6Ghz MBP w/ 4GB RAM
Dell 2407wfp || (2) 500GB MyBooks || 8GB iPhone w/ SE420s

dmcnickle  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2007, 02:42 PM

I forgot to mention that the box includes a bonus Adobe Video Workshop training.

I will take $675, which will take care of paypal fees and shipping.

Students can get this for $627.43 from JouneyEd but other users cannot buy it at this price without academic verification.

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2007, 05:13 PM

thus if you were to sell this to someone who is not a student or in education it would be illegal for them to use it ...

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2007, 06:09 PM

lol

@

MrNo
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by dmcnickle View Post
I forgot to mention that the box includes a bonus Adobe Video Workshop training.
So you think $85 is reasonable to ask for shipping charges? The box weighs about 1 pound! Paypal fees are something you have to pay, not the buyer, and the video training is offered online for free: Adobe - Design Center - Video workshop

motoxpress
Apr 30, 2007, 09:25 PM

Technically, you are not allowed to sell any edu license to anyone after you have purchased it. You are better off returning it if you don't want it.

-mx

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2007, 10:52 PM

I CAN GET IT FOR $600 AS A STUDENT WITH A FREE FLASH DRIVE.

If you buy this just to resell to other non-students, it's not right.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2007, 01:16 AM

Just let the man sell his stuff.....He stated his market is not for students but for the ones that cant get it....
I mean he was honest about it-is not like hs thread says "HEY STUDENTS ONLY BUY HERE FOR 670+" he even references the price
students get it for...

Is so simple-If your a student you know where to go-if your not and dont want to pay the retail price buy it from him...
I bought my mac laptop with student discount so does that mean i cant sell it?

Im not saying what he is doing is right or wrong but there is a market for everybody...im pretty sure out there maybe not in macnn etc somebody is looking to get photoshop cs3
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

xfiftyfour
Forum Regular
May 1, 2007, 08:05 AM

But it IS a matter of right or wrong. It's illegal for a non-student to buy this.. therefore he can only sell it to students.. which means he needs to lower his price considering students can get it for cheaper than that.

I mean, honestly.. if there are any non-students contemplating buying this - why waste your money? If you don't care about legalities, then save your $700 and go download it off some torrent site. If Adobe catches you with an illegal copy, they won't care whether you were stupid and shelled out the better part of a grand for your illegal copy, or if you got it for free.. so why spend that kind of money?
15.4-inch Glossy 2.6Ghz MBP w/ 4GB RAM
Dell 2407wfp || (2) 500GB MyBooks || 8GB iPhone w/ SE420s

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2007, 08:22 AM

Also, it rubs me wrong when somebody tries to sell a product for $675 that's been shown to retail for $590.

Flyyvon
May 1, 2007, 11:01 AM

I agree with Javizun.....Just let the man sell his stuff.......I guess xfiftyfour never drove over the speed limit once in is life.
Proud owner of a MacPro 8 cores, 8gb ram and a Macbook Pro 2.4ghz, 4gb ram.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2007, 11:42 AM

Selling edu software to non edu users breaks the EULA. He's ripping off both the system and the buyer.

kermit4161
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2007, 12:05 PM

>>>The educational version is the same as the retail version except it doesn't have printed manuals.<<<

The educational version has features that are turned off. The InDesign CS2 ed ver. had custom color palattes disabled and there were other features that wouldn't work either. So it definitely isn't the same as getting a full version. And I don't think that ANY version has printed manuals any longer... it is all online. Okay... CS2 didn't come with printed manuals... maybe CS3 does... but I doubt it.

Not to mention that, as others have pointed out, it is totally illegal to resell educational versions to individuals who don't qualify. But why waste money on something that has disabled features anyway. I laughed my @ss off at an old boss who purchased four CS2 ed ver. in order to save money... then found out it wouldn't work for his new "business" due to the disabled stuff.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
I CAN GET IT FOR $600 AS A STUDENT WITH A FREE FLASH DRIVE.

If you buy this just to resell to other non-students, it's not right.
Yeap.. from journeyed.com.

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 02:08 AM

While I don't necessarily agree with the sale... he can sell what he wants. The buyer is responsible.

Someone said it's illegal for him to sell to a non-student... that's not true. It just may not go with the terms and agreements. I'm sure the terms are pretty clear to state that it cannot be resold. Or that the original selling institutions cannot sell to someone they cannot certify as a student. It's one thing to go against the terms and possibly lose licensing or selling rights... it's another thing to call it illegal.

The terms and agreements for educational versions of software is generally different. It's two main differences are usually:

1. They do not qualify for upgrades (for instance, you cannot purchase a CS4 upgrade)
2. You cannot use it for business / profit.

This is mainly true of the Student and Teacher version of Microsoft Office. I researched this about Adobe. Adobe is very lax with their terms. You can see it here:

Adobe Education: Purchasing FAQ

Adobe allows you to use the software for paying jobs, and you can upgrade from the edu version. But it still remains, you must be a student to purchase it.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by kermit4161 View Post
The educational version has features that are turned off.
According to Adobe, the education version has the same features as the retail version.

motoxpress
May 2, 2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by kermit4161 View Post
>>>The educational version is the same as the retail version except it doesn't have printed manuals.<<<

The educational version has features that are turned off. The InDesign CS2 ed ver. had custom color palattes disabled and there were other features that wouldn't work either. So it definitely isn't the same as getting a full version. And I don't think that ANY version has printed manuals any longer... it is all online. Okay... CS2 didn't come with printed manuals... maybe CS3 does... but I doubt it.

Not to mention that, as others have pointed out, it is totally illegal to resell educational versions to individuals who don't qualify. But why waste money on something that has disabled features anyway. I laughed my @ss off at an old boss who purchased four CS2 ed ver. in order to save money... then found out it wouldn't work for his new "business" due to the disabled stuff.
Not true. There is no difference between the edu and retail versions of Adobe software. They are identical in function. The eula, however, is very different.

-mx

kermit4161
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by motoxpress View Post
Not true. There is no difference between the edu and retail versions of Adobe software. They are identical in function. The eula, however, is very different.

-mx
I was just relating what I experienced last summer with an Educational version of CS2 InDesign. We had an Adobe Cert. instructor come in to teach our staff how to use the program and it would not allow the use of custom color palattes and some other function he was trying to show us (both of which are available in a regular version of the software). These functions were greyed out in the menus. He attributed it to being an educational version of the software and would probably be activated upon an upgrade to a consumer version.

Also, pardon my choice of words about the legality of the sale of educational software (Illegal vs. a licensing issue). However, I think it could generate legal action if Adobe ever wanted to pursue it. I've heard of (could be a urban legend, but the source was good) severe action taken against a business where educational software was used professionally instead of a professional copy (but it wasn't Adobe).

Anyway you cut it... it is wrong to sell Educational software to non-students... even if there isn't a legal penalty.

Later

KeriVit
Professional Poster
May 2, 2007, 10:46 PM

I'm over it. Now, perhaps someone will take the seller up on the deal. It's still a good deal if you are not a student and perhaps before I went back to school I might have considered it. It's far less illegal than pirating.

So BID AWAY!

71sbeetle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 07:42 PM

quick question .... I have just received from a friend for my bday an academic version of CS3 .... I am not a student but she is (which is how I believe she got it - she knew I was looking for it) now does that make it illegal ? Just curious to know if I should give it back to her and explain why. If it doesnt, then good

Forum Links
Forum Rules