Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Genealogy Software for Mac

Genealogy Software for Mac
ChrisX74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2009, 11:11 AM

Hi!

I want to start working on genealogy on my Mac. I've used FamilyTreeMaker on my WinPC in the past. Good application, sometimes hard to use.

I've googled and I've found three applications: MacFamilyTree from Synium (Synium), Reunion from Leister (forgotten link) and iFamily For Leopard.

I've tested the demo versions of the three applications and here are my observations:

MacFamilyTree seems to offer the most features and is a mac-like application. They seem to offer many free updates with improved functions and the price tag is ok for me (49 US$). Reunion seems to be a well regarded application in the mac community, but looking at the demo, it feels like an old application, many features are missing (the web pages the app is creating are ridiculous bad) and the price of 100 US$ is very steep . iFamily looks promising despite some missing features, to bad the developer died in 2008 so there will be no more updates.

At the moment, I am tempted to go with MacFamilyTree. Am I missing some other apps?

Thanks in advance!

frdmfghtr
Senior User
May 24, 2009, 02:01 PM

I also use MacFamilyTree, and would recommend it. It has quirks, but overall it works quite well. It has an iPhone companion app that will sync family tree info, so you can gather genealogy info (family gatherings, etc.) and sync it back to your main app.

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2009, 12:19 PM

I have used Reunion for ~6 years. Very satisfied with it.
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

AndrewEWilson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2009, 06:26 PM

Reunion is my choice. Excellent support and discussions (Reunion for Macintosh) where almost any question already has an answer. It has been totally re-written in Cocoa and also includes an iPhone companion (which I haven't used yet - no iPhone). I particularly like the way the different charts, trees and diagrams can be so easily modified and edited due to their object oriented roots. It is not mac-like, it is totally mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules