Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do you have an i5/i7 MBP?

Do you have an i5/i7 MBP?
WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2010, 04:45 PM

Reactions? Availability of different models? Were any hi-res screens in stock?

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2010, 06:54 PM

I picked up a 15" i7 2.66Ghz MBP about an hour ago. I am transferring data from my 2009 MBP at the moment, so I haven't had a chance to compare the performance. Aside from the port configuration on the left, they look identical.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2010, 09:43 PM

I just ordered the base 15" (2.4ghz) with Hi-Res antiglare. Supposedly it will be delivered in 3-6 days. I'll be interested to see if someone gets this screen before me what they think of it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by riotge@r View Post
Aside from the port configuration on the left, they look identical.
I'm wondering why they did that... it's like Apple wants only tiny sized USB peripherals to be used.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2010, 10:39 PM

I picked up a 15" i7 2.66Ghz MBP about an hour ago. I am transferring data from my 2009 MBP at the moment, so I haven't had a chance to compare the performance. Aside from the port configuration on the left, they look identical.
I called the two Apple Stores in the Milwaukee area and both said they wouldn't get the new Macbooks for a few days. I just ended up ordering off the Apple Store. 15" i7 with high res screen.

Tomorrow I've got to stick up my 2007 MBP on eBay. Fun times ahead.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2010, 03:36 AM

Did you get the hi-res screen? Antiglare or regular glossy?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2010, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
I just ended up ordering off the Apple Store. 15" i7 with high res screen.
Regular glossy or antiglare?

P
Apr 14, 2010, 05:21 AM

If anyone has a 13" and is putting Bootcamp on it, I'd love to hear what the GPU clockspeeds are and if the CPU is a lower voltage model.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
If anyone has a 13" and is putting Bootcamp on it, I'd love to hear what the GPU clockspeeds are and if the CPU is a lower voltage model.
I would love to hear if the video card can handle graphics intensive games, ideally MMORPGs
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 14, 2010, 09:10 AM

I believe MMPORGs are more dependent on CPU and memory than GPU.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ibook_steve
Apr 14, 2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I'm wondering why they did that... it's like Apple wants only tiny sized USB peripherals to be used.
Think about the shape of the motherboard (PCB) required to have ports on both sides of the machine: long and gangly with holes in the middle for fans, the way it's been on the 15" machines since the titanium G4s. Long board = longer board trace = slower signals = more difficult to make work. Having all the ports on one side allows for the creation of a smaller, more compact PCB with short board traces that is easier to get working and meeting timing and signal integrity requirements.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2010, 11:05 AM

I would love to hear what peoples thoughts are on this as I am trying to talk myselkf into selling my C2D 2.53ghz for a 17 i7.
I have a 27 iMac i7 and am wondering what the chip difference is as I am pretty sure the chip is not the same.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Regular glossy or antiglare?
I went with glossy. I've had a matt screen for ages, and for some reason, I think I'd like a glossy.

Mostly because I don't use my computer outside.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Think about the shape of the motherboard (PCB) required to have ports on both sides of the machine: long and gangly with holes in the middle for fans, the way it's been on the 15" machines since the titanium G4s. Long board = longer board trace = slower signals = more difficult to make work. Having all the ports on one side allows for the creation of a smaller, more compact PCB with short board traces that is easier to get working and meeting timing and signal integrity requirements.

Steve
They already were on one side since the unibody came out. I'm referring to how the moved the MDP to in between the FireWire and USB. It used by next to audio in, like it is on my rev A unibody.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
I would love to hear what peoples thoughts are on this as I am trying to talk myselkf into selling my C2D 2.53ghz for a 17 i7.
Go for it. The Core i7 will slaughter that 2.53 GHz C2D.

I have a 27 iMac i7 and am wondering what the chip difference is as I am pretty sure the chip is not the same.
You're right, it isn't. The iMac has a Lynnfield (quad-core Nehalem, cheaper/slower version of Bloomfield, 45nm, integrated mem controller, no IGP). The MBP comes with Arrandale (dual-core Westmere, mobile version of Clarkdale, 32 nm, IGP).

The MBP will not match your iMac, but it will be the fastest mobile computer you can get.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2010, 01:05 PM

They already were on one side since the unibody came out. I'm referring to how the moved the MDP to in between the FireWire and USB. It used by next to audio in, like it is on my rev A unibody.
I would say that makes sense. The MDP is not likely something you'll need access to as often as USB. You usually plug a monitor in and leave it there for a while. USB devices on the other hand are frequently swapped. Also, most people will make frequent use of the USB ports. Not quite as many will use the MDP.

ibook_steve
Apr 14, 2010, 01:06 PM

Ah, didn't notice that. I've got no answer for that!

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2010, 01:12 PM

Mind you, I do not need another computer. But I cannot help wanting one. My iMac is really really fast. My guess is the difference will probably only be 20% I am again confused by the same name, really different specs
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Ah, didn't notice that. I've got no answer for that!

Steve
It's not a huge issue or anything, except for it just seems like an odd organization. Normally it's always been power, IP, FireWire, USB, display, and then audio with Apple's laptops.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2010, 10:06 PM

riotge@r or imitchellg5 or JoshuaZ
Just wondering about the control over the graphics processors:

1) If you turn off graphics switching can you choose to have discrete graphics on all the time (i.e. integrated off all of the time)
2) If you have the machine plugged in does it go to discrete graphics all the time (i.e. integrated off all of the time)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2010, 07:47 AM

I'm curious about the 15" hi-res display (1680x1050). Any reports yet? Experience? Side by side pics?

I'm not sure if I should get it. It's definitely cool, but I know on some web sites I already have trouble reading the text on my current 15" MBP (1440x900). Sure you can change magnification and/or font size, but I don't find switching that back and forth the whole time to be very convenient.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2010, 10:01 AM

I'd love to know if stores are getting the hi-res anti-gloss screen. I would prefer not to have to do BTO just for that.

xtal
Senior User
Apr 15, 2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by KP* View Post
I'd love to know if stores are getting the hi-res anti-gloss screen. I would prefer not to have to do BTO just for that.
I spoke to a sales rep at my local Apple Store this morning. According to him, the antiglare hi-res screens are in stock, but the glossy hi-res are BTO. YMMV.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2010, 02:02 PM

It's not a huge issue or anything, except for it just seems like an odd organization. Normally it's always been power, IP, FireWire, USB, display, and then audio with Apple's laptops.
Not counting, of course, the by far best-selling line so far, the 2006-2008 MacBooks - the Mini-DVI port is wedged between Firewire and Ethernet on those.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by WizOSX View Post
riotge@r or imitchellg5 or JoshuaZ
Just wondering about the control over the graphics processors:

1) If you turn off graphics switching can you choose to have discrete graphics on all the time (i.e. integrated off all of the time)
2) If you have the machine plugged in does it go to discrete graphics all the time (i.e. integrated off all of the time)
The only option besides automatic is to have discrete on.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2010, 03:54 PM

….....................
Originally Posted by imitchellg5
The only option besides automatic is to have discrete on.
Thanks. That's good news. Re: question #2, that would be hard to pin down until we get some more technical info from Apple I guess.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2010, 04:44 PM

No, it doesn't go to discrete full time. It uses it as needed. It's also worth mentioning that if you are using an application that makes use of discrete, but it's in the background idling, the discrete GPU is still in action. So don't leave Photoshop open if you're not using it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2010, 02:15 AM

So there's no power-saving option to keep the 330M shut off?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2010, 01:14 AM

If you need the performance it might as well be on.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by xtal View Post
I spoke to a sales rep at my local Apple Store this morning. According to him, the antiglare hi-res screens are in stock, but the glossy hi-res are BTO. YMMV.
My old MBP has been really uncooperative today (the screen has been going bad for about 6 months), so I made some calls to my home Apple Store (5th Ave), as well as the closest one to my current location (Farmington, CT), and the answer from both was that they have the hi-res antiglare only in the higher-end 15". Which is good, because that's the one I want.

Unfortunately the CT store is about a half hour away from the venue where I'm working, and I don't have transportation. I'll probably wait until I'm home to buy it, but it's good to know that I won't need to do BTO.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2010, 01:24 PM

So there's no power-saving option to keep the 330M shut off?
No. Like I said, you either have it on automatic, or discrete. Not like the older unibody MBP where you can choose discrete or integrated.

Bearsfan34
Apr 18, 2010, 10:12 PM

Am lucky enough to get to pick whatever computer I want for work (am in IT), so naturally I choose a Mac. I do have needs for Windows once/twice a week in Boot Camp; and do some PC gaming when I'm home. Looking seriously at a 15" Core i5, I think that's about as much as they'll let me spend.

Any idea on how the "graphics switching" works in Boot Camp? Curious to know if, when booting into Windows, if Boot Camp chooses the integrated graphics or the discrete card...
-Core i5 MacBook Pro, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; iBook G4 1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM
-5G white iPod 30GB; original U2 iPod 20GB mono; now on 32GB Black iPhone 4
-...oh, and a PC too.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2010, 10:33 AM

In Boot Camp there is no switching. It'll always run the discrete 330M. I haven't been able to find out though if it also shuts off the IGP as on OS X. My guess is it doesn't.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 10:48 AM

Well I'll post photos of the glossy his res screen vs my old 2007 Macbook Pro. That should be about the same.

If I "had" a copy of Windows 7 I'd tell you if the graphic switching was working there as well, but sadly, I do not. Maybe in a couple of days.... depending on how the wind blows....

(Hmm..... how big should I make my bootcamp partition? 60 gigs? I'll probably only throw a few games on it, from time to time. How much room does Windows 7 need?)

Fedex told me that my Macbook Pro is on a truck in the area. I should have it sometime this morning.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Well I'll post photos of the glossy his res screen vs my old 2007 Macbook Pro.
Great, looking forward to that!

I was looking at a high-res 17" (previous generation) this weekend. I realized that it's 133 ppi resolution is just a tad more than the 129 ppi on the hi-res 15" we can now order. As I was playing around with it I didn't feel text was too small or that it was uncomfortable to read. So unless accounting makes a fuss about our budget I think I'm ordering the 15" with a Core i7, SSD, and the hi-res glossy screen. Gotta treat yourself to a decent tool every once in a while. Yummy.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 12:41 PM

Great, looking forward to that!

I was looking at a high-res 17" (previous generation) this weekend. I realized that it's 133 ppi resolution is just a tad more than the 129 ppi on the hi-res 15" we can now order. As I was playing around with it I didn't feel text was too small or that it was uncomfortable to read. So unless accounting makes a fuss about our budget I think I'm ordering the 15" with a Core i7, SSD, and the hi-res glossy screen. Gotta treat yourself to a decent tool every once in a while. Yummy.
Did you see this at the Apple store or best buy? I am still trying to decide on the upgrade and thinking about going to the local Best Buy to take a look at them.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2010, 12:48 PM

Local Apple dealership.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 04:41 PM

I got mine around noon. Took a couple of hours for Migration Assistant to move everything over, and then a bit more time for me to do some tweaking and installing.

New high res screen looks very nice. This could just be me getting used to the new glossy screen vs the matt on my 2007 MBP. But I can tell the difference in screen space. Extra space, well worth the $ for it.

I'll take a couple of pictures of the two screen side by side later this afternoon... when I'm putting up my old MBP on ebay....

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 07:59 PM

Hmmm... I am tying to decide on this. I got $2000 American for my last MacBook pro I sold. F I could get close to that I would get a new mbp

shiff
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2010, 11:49 PM

I just purchased a 15" macbook pro today. I chose the i7 with 8 gigs of ram, hi resolution screen, 7200 rpm drive, and anti glare screen. I had last years top of the line 17 inch macbook pro. I wanted something smaller and was waiting for the 15" mbp to support a higher resolution. I already had the ram for it from another machine so it was a no brainer.

I am really impressed so far and extremely happy with it. I have always had glossy so this is my first matte screen and wow, it is much easier on my eyes. My desk has 2 floor to ceiling windows to the right of it and there is no glare at all. I knew there would be a difference in the screen but this is night and day.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2010, 05:57 AM

A week with my i7 15" MBP and I still love. I ordered 8GB of ram for it and should have it tomorrow.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2010, 07:10 AM

Page two already and still no pics.

Bearsfan34
Apr 21, 2010, 10:41 AM

In Boot Camp there is no switching. It'll always run the discrete 330M. I haven't been able to find out though if it also shuts off the IGP as on OS X. My guess is it doesn't.
Thanks for this. Guess I should've known this already, but didn't...appreciate it.

Still pondering which way to go; a few things I've read sounded like the latest Core 2 Duo proc vs. an i5 proc produces "modest" gains in processing power, so not sure if a 15" screen w/ high res & an i5 processor will really trump a 13" MBP, since the 13" integrated video prowess appears to be almost the same as the discrete 15" card.
-Core i5 MacBook Pro, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; iBook G4 1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM
-5G white iPod 30GB; original U2 iPod 20GB mono; now on 32GB Black iPhone 4
-...oh, and a PC too.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2010, 01:31 PM

….....................
Originally Posted by simon
I was looking at a high-res 17" (previous generation) this weekend. I realized that it's 133 ppi resolution is just a tad more than the 129 ppi on the hi-res 15" we can now order. As I was playing around with it I didn't feel text was too small or that it was uncomfortable to read. So unless accounting makes a fuss about our budget I think I'm ordering the 15" with a Core i7, SSD, and the hi-res glossy screen. Gotta treat yourself to a decent tool every once in a while. Yummy..
Did you order it yet?

After 3 days with my 15" Hires antiglare, my reactions are like yours, the screen is so sharp that reading small text is fine. Also, I really like the antiglare. I can't see any difference in sharpness between it and the glossy. The matte finish is very subtle, "almost" glossy, but it does cut down significantly on reflection (although there is still a little). I think it is a very good trade-off and I would order it again.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by shiff View Post
I just purchased a 15" macbook pro today. I chose the i7 with 8 gigs of ram, hi resolution screen, 7200 rpm drive, and anti glare screen. I wanted something smaller and was waiting for the 15" mbp to support a higher resolution. I already had the ram for it from another machine so it was a no brainer. I am really impressed so far and extremely happy with it. I have always had glossy so this is my first matte screen and wow, it is much easier on my eyes.
Same config I got. Really great! And the extra RAM was not much more expensive than 3rd party for a change - with the EDU discount.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2010, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by WizOSX View Post
Did you order it yet?
Not yet. The budget has been ok'ed but the guy in charge of ordering stuff here is a grade A slacker. I'm gonna have to go over there in person and light a fire.

After 3 days with my 15" Hires antiglare, my reactions are like yours, the screen is so sharp that reading small text is fine. Also, I really like the antiglare. I can't see any difference in sharpness between it and the glossy. The matte finish is very subtle, "almost" glossy, but it does cut down significantly on reflection (although there is still a little). I think it is a very good trade-off and I would order it again.
I might have considered antiglare if it didn't come with a silver bezel. Esthetically I prefer the black frame. IMHO it fits the black keys much better. Also, I like the fact that with the glass screen there's one solid surface with no grooves or edges for dust to collect. Cleaning a glass screen is much easier than the 'plastic' screens. So I'll be getting the hi-res glossy.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2010, 08:24 AM

Page two already and still no pics.
Just got mine. Here's a quick pic of the anti-glare screen. I don't mind the silver bezel, but it's wider than the one on my 2007 MBP, which surprised me. It makes the screen look a little smaller and old-fashioned, but it's otherwise a gorgeous screen. And if you're a matte screen snob like me, it's worth whatever aesthetic imperfections it takes, I just thank God I didn't need a Mac upgrade during those dark times Apple had discontinued it.
( Last edited by KP*; Apr 23, 2010 at 03:11 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by KP* View Post
I don't mind the silver bezel, but it's wider than the one on my 2007 MBP, which surprised me.
The unibody 15" has slightly larger case than the old Al 15" had. The screen size is still 15.4". Hence the wider bezel.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2010, 11:24 AM

The unibody 15" has slightly larger case than the old Al 15" had. The screen size is still 15.4". Hence the wider bezel.
Yeah I discovered how big a difference it is when I packed up my old MBP in the form-fitting box of the new one. It also explains why I can never tell the difference between the 15" and 17" when I see them.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by WizOSX
Did you order it yet?
Not yet. The budget has been ok'ed but the guy in charge of ordering stuff here is a grade A slacker. I'm gonna have to go over there in person and light a fire.
After three days of intense fire lighting I've finally managed to get them to order it.

Core i7, 2.66 GHz
GeForce GT 330M, 512 MB VRAM
4 GB RAM, 500 GB 7200 rpm HDD
15.4" Hi-res glossy

I had them order the MBP with a HDD but at the same time I put in an order for an Intel X25-M G2 SSD. I'll put that baby in myself. Maybe I'll put the HDD in the optical bay. But probably I'll just end up using it for backups or so in my SATA dock.

Looking forward to my new toy!
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 29, 2010 at 04:07 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules