Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office 2008 & 2011, will they play together?

Office 2008 & 2011, will they play together?
pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2010, 04:28 PM

Office 2004 & Office 2008 can be installed on the same volume without conflict.

While I'm not convinced that anyone would want to do so, could Office 2008 & 2011 likewise be resident on the same volume without conflict?

Please, best guesses only. I am not asking that one violate their NDA.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2010, 07:49 PM

My guess is that they would be. On the Mactopia site, they even mention getting MS Office 2008 and upgrading to 2011 when released. Often they will be together for checking things out. I have done that in past eons when upgrading.
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2010, 10:01 PM

The answer should be yes, as it is for most software. But Microsoft has a a talent for screwing simple things up. Then again, they supposedly wrote a lot of Office 2011 in Cocoa, so keep your fingers crossed.

pendragon  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2010, 11:44 AM

Many thanks. Your thoughts much appreciated.

I wonder if when 2011 is installed, one will be invited to remove Office 2008 (as was done when 2008 was first installed). And that is fine. But were one to subsequently remove Office 2008, would shared files and such from 2011 be deleted and thus cause great angst for the unsuspecting...
Harv
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2010, 01:15 PM

Office under OS X has not installed ANY shared files apart from fonts and user data outside it's Office XXXX folder in /Applications (with the exception of the 2008 AutoUpdater).

And the fonts are automatically reinstalled once you run an Office app an it discovers they're missing.

pendragon  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Office under OS X has not installed ANY shared files apart from fonts and user data outside it's Office XXXX folder in /Applications (with the exception of the 2008 AutoUpdater).

And the fonts are automatically reinstalled once you run an Office app an it discovers they're missing.
Ah, now the Grasshopper understands. Thanks for the well said explanation. Perhaps, well maybe, learning has actually taken placeā€¦
Harv

Forum Links
Forum Rules