Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > twisted power cord

twisted power cord
jay3ld
Senior User
Jun 1, 2011, 04:26 PM

Hello,

I thought this was a problem until I recently seen other mac users with the same problem. I noticed that from the brick to the plugin for the laptop, that the cord will develop twisted like features. I am not sure what it is or why it is happening. I am worried though that the wires inside are twisting from use and might do something to cause harm to the cord.

I do notice from time to time while I move my laptop around that the wire develops a big noticeable loops. I unplug the laptop, unloop the wires trying to straighten it out and then plug it back in.

Anyone else experience this sort of problem and knows if I should be worried or if there is a solution to this?
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2011, 04:58 PM

Mine has that issue, but I haven't had any problems.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2011, 07:41 PM

How do you store the power cable? Do you wrap it around the brick? If so, it needs to be unwrapped using the opposite process as you did when you wrapped it, otherwise you'll get loops in the cable.

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Jun 1, 2011, 07:46 PM

olePigeon,
I haven't had any problems with this cable yet. But I have had to replace the brick once due to it failing to charge properly. It was replaced under AppleCare. I don't know if it was due to the twists it had.

cgc,
I rarely store my power cord. Mostly I am moving from room to room and just set it into 3 big loops (holding brick, the 3prong end and the magsafe plug).
However when I do pack it up for travel, I do loose rolls (about twice the size of a fist) and don't roll it around the brick.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2011, 12:23 PM

I always roll mine around the provided flappy handle bits that many people don't realise are there for that purpose. Doesn't seem to happen to me.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ibook_steve
Jun 2, 2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I always roll mine around the provided flappy handle bits that many people don't realise are there for that purpose. Doesn't seem to happen to me.
AKA duckbills, as they are referred to internally at Apple (same name given to the flip out power prongs). You should always wind the cord around them, not the brick itself. Then use the little U shaped clip to attach the Magsafe end of the cord to the wrapped cable.

I'm not quite understanding the OP's problem here. Are you saying that you have permanent loops in the cord that don't untwist themselves when you hang the cord freely? I've never heard of or seen such a problem.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Jun 2, 2011, 09:40 PM

ibook_steve,

Think of it as taking rope and twisting it, that is what it looks like. I can see the twists in the wire. I tried to take a picture but its hard to see the twists.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2011, 11:08 AM

I know what you mean, I've seen it lots. Not aware of any easy fix for it sadly but as long as you follow the above advice to wrap it around the duckbills (Never heard that one before myself), it shouldn't get any worse and should therefore be ok.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2011, 02:16 PM

With regards to wrapping the cord around the duckbills: just be sure to always wrap the cord the same direction. You definitely don't want to be bending the cord insertion point into the power block in opposite directions every time you pack up the cord. Even with the stress relief on the cord, you're asking for trouble.

As for the cord itself, it's like coiling a 15-foot mike cable: as you coil it, your fingers give the cord a slight twist so that the cord coils properly. To uncoil it, you twist gently in the opposite direction so that the coil will lie flat onstage. (It's more complicated than that, but you get the idea.) Another analogy would be to think about how you coil and uncoil a garden hose.

Forum Links
Forum Rules