Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Using an Apple AirPort Extreme as a relay?

Using an Apple AirPort Extreme as a relay?
USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2008, 11:02 AM

I have a strange situation...

My office is in the attic, but my cable/internet connection is on the second floor. I have a generic router attached to the internet service, and I connect to the internet wirelessly from the attic.

I have an HP multi-function printer/scanner/fax hooked up to that router, and I can print and scan wirelessly just fine. Unfortunately, it's in the same room as the router, so I have to go downstairs every time I print something.

My question is, I have a circa-2005 Apple AirPort Extreme unit that is not currently being used. Is there any way for me to set that unit up in the attic, connect my printer to it, and then use the AirPort as a relay between the router downstairs and the printer?

I'm afraid that routing the cable/internet to the attic is not an option at this point.

Thanks!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2008, 03:32 PM

What kind of printer connection is that? USB or Ethernet?

You don't even need to set it up as a relay. If it is set up to connect to the wireless network and it is serving a printer, any client on the wireless network should be able to print to the served printer (same subnet).

USNA91  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2008, 06:00 PM

The printer connects to the router via an Ethernet cable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules