Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Moderating keyboard on Powerbook

Moderating keyboard on Powerbook
jp57568
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2003, 07:09 PM

Hi!

I'm looking to switch to a Mac in the near future and I have a question concerning the Powerbook keyboard. Is it possible to change some of the keys to include different letters? I realize this is probably done with some sort of software.

The reason I ask is that I want to buy a Powerbook but since Macs are very, very expensive here in Denmark I'm looking into buying one when I go to the US next time (the difference in price is some 700 dollars).

Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jp57568

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2003, 07:31 PM

I would suggest that you look at the price again. The keyboard will be the least of your troubles.

US prices are always quoted without tax and delivery. This alone will make a big difference.
You also get no one year warranty like you get in Europe, Apple Care costs extra. Also, you cannot purchase Apple Care in the US that is valid for Europe, meaning should your PB ever need repairing you are buggered.

If you do decide to go ahead and buy your PB in the US make sure to mail the documentation home. If you're unlucky and get stopped at the border you won't have to pay import duties that way.

Apple equipment costs pretty much the same the world over nowadays if you take local taxes and charges into account.

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2003, 07:38 PM

If you so desire, you can order from some mail order houses that do not charge sales tax.

I believe the warranty is applicable world wide. You can check with Apple about that.

I also think you can purchase AppleCare anywhere you like. I purchased a Mac in Japan and when I moved to the US I purchased AppleCare for it. No problems at all.

I'm sure the keyboard problem could be solved. However, it might be more trouble than it is worth. It might take too much expertise to be worth the trouble.

If you check with a third party Mac repair shop in Denmark they might be able to sell you the keyboard you want. Once you have a keyboard installed it is easy to select the keyboard. This is a standard part of the setup routine.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules