Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Furigana over Kanjis in Cocoa Apps

Furigana over Kanjis in Cocoa Apps
OreoCookie
Jan 30, 2004, 01:55 AM

I prepared quite a few presentations in Japanese and I wanted to have furigana over some Kanjis. Can I do that with Cocoa Apps, e. g. Keynote or TextEdit.

I know that the Japanese version of Word can do that, but I don't want to use word. Bloatware. Plus, it wouldn't help with Keynote.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2004, 02:13 AM

I think you will need a specialized Japanese program to do this. My wife suggests that Quark-J, InDesign-J, EGWord or other such programs provide this feature.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 30, 2004, 03:21 AM

The US version of Word does this also. I don't know if that would translate over to PowerPoint. You'd think Microsoft would make it the same across apps, but who knows.

I don't believe it's possible w/ Cocoa apps, which is disappointing.

OreoCookie  (op)
Jan 30, 2004, 05:07 AM

Well, but I'd still like to use Keynote for presentations and just getting Quark-J or something (or even Word for that matter) to replace good old TextEdit just for Furigana is a bit over the top.

Plus, it doesn't help with Keynote.

A friend of mine who has the US version of Word has an entry in the help about Furigana, but the menu isn't to be found.

yongfook
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2004, 09:02 AM

You can input furigana for kanji in the regular western version of OS X Word. You need the Office Value pack.

It's not the best solution though as it's expensive and the furigana aren't automatically implemented - I assumed that after typing in a kanji compound the furigana yomikata would automatically appear above it but the process is all manual - you have to literally select compounds, then edit the furigana area a bit like you do with headers and footers.

Maybe I was using it incorrectly but you are probably better off looking for another bit of software.

If it helps, furigana are often referred to as "ruby" in software terms, so you can use that in your web searches.
http://www.yongfook.com

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by yongfook:
I assumed that after typing in a kanji compound the furigana yomikata would automatically appear above it but the process is all manual - you have to literally select compounds, then edit the furigana area a bit like you do with headers and footers.
There's no way for it to automatically know the furigana for any given kanji, so the only way this could happen is if it kept track of what you typed in the first place. That's not a bad idea, but then what if you want to add furigana after the fact? The process needs to be manual in some respect no matter what.

Note that in order to get the ruby function to appear in Office you might have to use Office Language Register to set the app in question to "Japanese."

By the way, I saw that OpenOffice.org (via NeoOffice/J) has a ruby function. You might want to give that a shot if you don't want to use Word or buy one of the programs mentioned earlier.

OreoCookie  (op)
Jan 31, 2004, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
There's no way for it to automatically know the furigana for any given kanji, so the only way this could happen is if it kept track of what you typed in the first place. That's not a bad idea, but then what if you want to add furigana after the fact? The process needs to be manual in some respect no matter what.

Note that in order to get the ruby function to appear in Office you might have to use Office Language Register to set the app in question to "Japanese."

By the way, I saw that OpenOffice.org (via NeoOffice/J) has a ruby function. You might want to give that a shot if you don't want to use Word or buy one of the programs mentioned earlier.
Well, if I know how to enter a Kanji, I must know its yomikata as well. It makes things easier to read for beginners like me and my classmates. Just having `dantaikoudou' above the Kanjis for group behavior is helping a lot

Forum Links
Forum Rules