Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Skipping login?

Skipping login?
Cx Angel S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 01:48 PM

Alright I did something stupid. I recently bought a G3 iBook at a pawn shop and things were running smoothly until I started messing around in the Control Panel. I enabled the login startup option, thinking my boyfriend had already entered a password in. Turns out the password belongs to the previous owner and now I can't start up my Mac at all since it requires a password to login at startup. Is there a way to skip the login startup? I hear you can reset the password using the software install CD but I can't even get the CD tray to open up to put the CD in. Help?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2004, 01:59 PM

If it has the previous owner's password on it, you should reformat the hard drive and reinstall the OS. But that also requires access to the CD drive. To open it, there should be a little pinhole on the drive, stick a straightened-out paper clip in and it'll open even if the computer is off. The other option is to hold down the mouse button while starting up.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Cx Angel S  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 03:13 PM

Alright we figured it out. We went into safe mode, dragged the Multiple Users extensions folder into the disabled extensions folder, restarted the computer and no log in screen! Sweetness. I never knew about that little pinhole though. Thanks!

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2004, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by Cx Angel S:
Alright I did something great. I recently bought a G3 iBook at a pawn shop�
That's better. Welcome to the forums.

Forum Links
Forum Rules