Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Help choosing some peripherals...

Help choosing some peripherals...
Jeffro283
Aug 1, 2008, 04:45 PM

Hello,

Last summer, I purchased a Mac Pro, and this summer, I am planning on purchasing a Macbook Pro as well. I have been working primarily with stock peripherals, but recently I decided that I would start to look into getting some higher end ones. Here is what I currently have:

-Apple Keyboard
-Logitech 3-Button Optical Corded Mouse
-4x6 Wacom Tablet

I am looking to upgrade, in some form or another, to a new mouse (at least). Is there any mouse that anyone would recommend? I would like a mouse that is:

-wireless
-good for gaming/3d modeling (no crazy turbo wheel in the middle)
-size is not an issue really

I am also looking at keyboards...I will take any recommendations in terms of keyboards that I can.

I am also interested in getting a new comfy chair for my desk, and I am not sure if this is the wrong place to post this, but I will go ahead and say it; anyone have any good recommendations?

If there are any other peripherals that you would like to recommend, feel free. I am not necessarily in the market to buy a ton of different stuff, but a new desk chair and a mouse would be nice. I will be getting a messenger bag, as well as a laptop sleeve at some point, so any pointers there would be nice. Thanks for your help!

Drew

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2008, 10:44 PM

For wireless mice I like the Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 (what a name, almost the BFG9000).

For keyboards, what don't you like about the aluminum Apple keyboard? Optimus Maximus is always a nice option.

Jeffro283  (op)
Aug 2, 2008, 11:13 PM

Thus far, I have no problems with the Mac keyboard...just wondering if anyone had any really cool keyboards out there that they could share with me. I will check into that laser mouse, however. Thanks!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2008, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffro283 View Post
Thus far, I have no problems with the Mac keyboard...just wondering if anyone had any really cool keyboards out there that they could share with me.
The Optimus Maximus I linked to in my previous post certainly meets that criteria!

nikstar101
Aug 3, 2008, 10:28 AM

I'll the Microsoft mouse. I have a Intelimouse 5000, which is wireless but not bluetooth. And i have found MS mice to be very good. In fact their hardware is generally quite good.

Nick

chichow
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2008, 03:35 PM

How is the customization options for the MS mouse on OS X?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2008, 03:54 PM

You can assign all 5 buttons to the standard OS X mouse button options using the standard OS X mouse preferences.

Jeffro283  (op)
Aug 5, 2008, 11:31 AM

Has anyone had experience with this?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...&om_keycode=93

They have it on Buy.com for $20 right now...seems like a decent deal to me. Looked up a couple reviews, and they seemed favorable...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 02:17 PM

Small mice are generally pretty poor to use... think back to the hockey puck mouse from Apple.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 02:25 PM

Area-wise the hockey puck mouse was hardly smaller than the current mouse. The hockey puck's problem was not its size, but the fact that it was perfectly round. People would have to look at the mouse to know which way they were holding it and where the button was.

Jeffro283  (op)
Aug 5, 2008, 03:20 PM

mduell, Simon:

I agree with you there...my roomie has a tiny mouse, and he is doing the same things that I do...that thing drives me nuts! The mouse that I currently have is something akin to an earlier version of this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826104020

I want something that feels a bit more...hefty/sturdy in my hand, and I want something wireless. I don't really game online too much, so is a laser mouse really necessary? I am not sure if I fully understand all the benefits of laser over optical, but I am sure there is somewhere where it will benifit me.

I would like to, if possible, buy a Logitech mouse. That isn't why I keep linking them, but I enjoy supporting brands that I am familiar with...I also wouldn't deny a Microsoft mouse, but seeing that next to all my Apple stuff might make me cry. ):

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 05:17 PM

In my experience laser mice track a bit better on difficult surfaces, but that's probably just because they're newer; a new design (not just recent production) optical mouse is probably just as good.

Since you like Logitech, this one looks like the way to go.

hokie17
Aug 5, 2008, 09:53 PM

Depends on how much he has to spend. I have the Bluetooth MX1000 (part of the MX5000 desktop, about $150 or so). Works with Steermouse, though, because Logitech didn't put support for it into the LCC software.

No dongle needed either, works with the Mac's BT.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 6, 2008, 12:31 AM

Going bluetooth is the best way with a mouse on a mac. Who wants to use up a USB port for a dongle? There are two bluetooth mice from Microsoft at the moment, one is smaller, one is full size.
ice

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2008, 02:45 AM

I agree with previous posters. Get a Bluetooth optical mouse. Logitech makes excellent mice. No dongles, no drivers, no fooling around.

The one mduell linked to is decent and inexpensive. The MX1000 is more expensive, but it is an absolutely excellent mouse. That's the one I'd get right now.

Cold Warrior
Aug 6, 2008, 02:47 AM

Does anyone else hate the tension/resistance caused by a wired mouse's cord? It drives me nuts. Another reason to go bluetooth.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2008, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Does anyone else hate the tension/resistance caused by a wired mouse's cord? It drives me nuts.
Agreed! Some cables are so stiff that due to cable tension your mouse actually moves when you let go of it. Very bad design.

This is something I have always appreciated about Logitech mice. The cabled Logitech mice I have used have all come with very soft cables. Cheap mice often don't. Also, due to fire/safety regulations some places only allow halogen-free cables. One big disadvantage of those cables is that they're stiff.

Jeffro283  (op)
Aug 6, 2008, 09:14 AM

This question may be a bit dumb, but I figured I would ask it here. After looking through everything last night, I noticed that there was no Bluetooth under the Bluetooth in the System Profiler on my machine. Not that there was no Bluetooth category, but that there was no Bluetooth information under that category. What I am trying to ask is...is Bluetooth something that is stock on Macs? If not, and it is an add-on, I may have skipped it when ordering...):

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2008, 10:10 AM

All current Macs come with Bluetooth. On the previous Mac Pro it was an option. There are also USB dongles to ad Bluetooth if you can't get hold of the internal component.

Jeffro283  (op)
Aug 6, 2008, 10:21 AM

At that point, would it really make much of a difference between USB and Bluetooth? I don't plan on buying any other Bluetooth devices at this point, but I guess that could always change.

How would I know whether or not I have Bluetooth?

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2008, 07:33 PM

How would I know whether or not I have Bluetooth?
It WOULD be in System Profiler.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Jeffro283  (op)
Aug 6, 2008, 07:57 PM

I guess I should be a bit more specific...what exactly should show up under the system profiler? Bluetooth is there as an option/category, but when I click on it, nothing is under it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2008, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Does anyone else hate the tension/resistance caused by a wired mouse's cord? It drives me nuts. Another reason to go bluetooth.
I don't find it to be that bad with a little extra cable in a S shape on the desk; better than the weight of wireless mice.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2008, 02:39 AM

Actually weight is good for a mouse. Allows you to navigate more accurately. Many high-end corded mice have little ballast weights precisely for this reason.

Cold Warrior
Aug 7, 2008, 02:41 AM

I wouldn't mind some sort of external trackpad or multi-touch trackpad. Anything good like that out there?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2008, 02:43 AM

I guess I should be a bit more specific...what exactly should show up under the system profiler? Bluetooth is there as an option/category, but when I click on it, nothing is under it.
If you had BT installed, information would show up in Hardware > Bluetooth. Stuff like driver version, services, devices, ports, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules