Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 110)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2008, 01:05 PM

Good artists copy, great artists steal....M$ botches.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 09:13 AM

Just got through watching the Nintendo E3 keynote..... and oh my that was just plain terrible. that lady was so friggon annoying, i felt as though i was back in preschool the way she was talking to the audience. Reggie's and Iwata's parts were just plain bragging and reiterating the same stuff they have spoken of for the last 2 years.

Wii Motion + leaves a pretty sour taste. im kinda tired of all the white plastic addons and accessories that Nintendo is pushing.... VC controller, zapper, wheel, balance board, motion+, etc... way too cluttered. As far as Motion+'s functionality..... ummm... i thought that was possible with the Wiimote, im not so sure i want to buy something that plugs into and makes it 'better'. But this is still way better than what Sony did with it's controllers and the rumble fiasco, fortunately for Sony the fanboys didnt seem to mind too much.

Animal crossing, never played it, and dont think i ever will.

Wii Music, it's a 'nice' take on the music genre, sorta like a casual version of Rockband..... i don see the point of it though, why would ANYONE want this software, its not challenging or rewarding and looks more like an 'airband' simulator more than anything. lame.

The small thing that caught my eye was the Call of Duty trailer, which looked surprisingly good for a Wii game imo, but thats about it.

The presenters sucked, the content was lackluster and boring, the outlook for 2008 is still undefined, and their keynote accomplished nothing except to restate facts that were already known.

If i were Nintendo i would have used the keynote to highlight some of the best third party efforts on the Wii with onstage demos and all.... games like Madworld, CoD: WaW, Deadly Creatures, deBlob, etc.

Very disappointing presentation imo.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Also, the Wii won't catch up to the 360 in the US for almost 2 years if the current Wii sales hold steady and 360 sales drop to 0. They have 2 million consoles to make up - that doesn't happen overnight.
(as posted on Apr 17, 2008)

I was wrong as well, as i had stated that the Wii would outsell the Xbox 360 in the U.S. by the end of Summer(August). I was off by 2 month.

The Wii officially over took the XBox360's installed base in the U.S. in June. Thus becoming the #1 home console of this generation in every major territory(Europe, N.America and Japan) despite coming out 12 months after the XBox360.

Source:http://www.edge-online.com/news/npd-...ertakes-360-us

On a similar note, i found this quote kind of amusing...
“It looks to me as if the Wii is going to have at least half the installed base of the overall industry and the Xbox 360 and PS3 are going to fight over the balance, based on the run-rates we’re seeing.” - EA’s Peter Moore (formerly one of the head guys over at Microsoft's XBox division)
Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/31302/Moor...next-gen-sales

Cheers

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 10:46 AM

And on that note here is a chart that shows that the Wii is in last place in quality of games for each genre. Much less important than how many systems it sells I know:
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/which-co...21122120562022

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Wii Motion + leaves a pretty sour taste. im kinda tired of all the white plastic addons and accessories that Nintendo is pushing.... VC controller, zapper, wheel, balance board, motion+, etc... way too cluttered.
But dude, the actual Wii itself is small and Japanese customers like that because they have limited space in their house. God know what they do with all the peripherals you mentioned though as even a few of them combined take up more room and make more mess than my PS3 and XBOX combined.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 11:06 AM

What the heck is going on at Nintendo?
http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/23/n...nplus-prior-t/

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 11:23 AM

What the heck is going on at Nintendo?
http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/23/n...nplus-prior-t/
THey are making money and don't care about 3rd parties perhaps?

Anyone else notice how the Wiimote went from small and clean and minimal to this monstrosity?
Now it looks like a cheap, chinese, sex-toy, knockoff:

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
THey are making money and don't care about 3rd parties perhaps?
Yeah but they should understand that software moves hardware (think the Wii would've sold more than 100 units without Wii Sports?). If no games can use that attachment other than the demo disc for a year no one will buy it.

Well, no one in their right mind would buy it. Plenty of people still will I guess...

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 12:19 PM

I think that actually has more to do with the Wii remote jacket than with the Motion Plus, though I don't disagree that the Motion Plus does make it uglier. When I had a Wii, I almost always left the jacket off.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 12:41 PM

And on that note here is a chart that shows that the Wii is in last place in quality of games for each genre. Much less important than how many systems it sells I know:
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/which-co...21122120562022
Im sure the people who supported the PS2 had no problem with all the shovelware that system got.

I got no problem with low 'average' ratings, given the number of games out there, just cause there are enough of good-to-great games i want.

Besides as noted above.... software sells hardware, and imo ratings are published by the 'elitist' gaming niche, which doesnt really reflect tastes of gamers(which includes anyone who plays videogames) anymore.

So yeah.... software moves hardware and the Wii is #1, i wonder what the connection is.

Average ratings dont effect people's buying habits , if there's a good game people will buy it, they dont stop to think...'oh most of the games are not good, so i shouldnt play this great game either'.

So is this the 'next' argument against the #1 console now ? im asking, just so i know what to address and point out 9-12 months from now, when it is disproved by market trends (like every other argument against the Wii from the beginning).
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jul 23, 2008 at 12:52 PM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
I think that actually has more to do with the Wii remote jacket than with the Motion Plus, though I don't disagree that the Motion Plus does make it uglier. When I had a Wii, I almost always left the jacket off.
I think they are focusing too much on the peripherals and 'plastic', and not enough on the software (at least thats what i think given their E3 keynote).

I think they should have introduced a Wiimote2, and a mail-in upgrade program (for a few extra $$$) or something instead of selling a new attachment. i mean i can just imagine how annoyed the PS3 fanboys must have been after getting 4 PS3 controllers and then buying 4 more which have rumble(last generation technology according to Sony).

Also, not everyone is expected to buy all these attachments, heck knows i dont, i just have a wiimote and the nunchuck. and it's footprint is still smaller than the PS3 or XB360. luckily there is the option to get these attachments.

i just hoped Nintendo would have used E3 to address the core market since this venue has traditionally been targeted to the hardcore and not many people outside that niche know about E3.

On the other hand, this could be seen as a nice window for third parties to step into the picture in a major way and not have the excuse that they have to 'compete with Nintendo'.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 01:01 PM

So yeah.... software moves hardware and the Wii is #1, i wonder what the connection is.

So is this the 'next' argument against the #1 console now ? im asking, just so i know what to address and point out 9-12 months from now, when it is disproved by market trends (like every other argument against it from the beginning).
I sort of agree with most of your post about how average ratings aren't important and how it's much better to have a few really good games. That's all you really need. Another thing is a good variety of games covering different genres, and that's where all three consoles really fall down. All of them seem to focus mostly on three or four types of games, and everything else is done poorly. Both the 360 and the PS3 have lots of shooters, fighting/action games, driving games, and sports games, and not a whole lot else. The Wii has family/party games, adventure games, and... well, not a whole lot else. And games of the genres that the consoles don't cover typically fare really poorly when they do make it. There are virtually no good party games for the non-Wii consoles, just as there are no good driving games (other than Mario Kart, which is more of a party game) for the Wii.

Main problem is your assertion that best in sales = best overall. You constantly harp on how awesome the Wii is because it's beating the Xbox 360 and PS3. Does that even matter? You enjoy it, lots of people enjoy it, but not everyone does. Would you also argue that Windows is obviously the best OS ever made since it has the most sales? It's especially ironic for me to be making this argument since I myself am a Windows user (yes, at a Mac forum), but even I can recognize that Windows isn't a very good OS despite being a best-seller.

I just don't see why you have to constantly emphasize the Wii's sales in your arguments. We know it's the best selling console of this generation. We know everyone's grandmother wants one. Are you unable to accept that it doesn't appeal to many traditional gamers, and that playing up its popularity actually makes many people (including me) like it much less?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 01:32 PM

Im sure the people who supported the PS2 had no problem with all the shovelware that system got.
That is the first time I have ever seen anyone complain about the quality and quantity the PS2 HAS. I mean they are still making good games for it today when Nintendo and MS canceled their previous systems the day the new ones come out.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 01:36 PM

That is the first time I have ever seen anyone complain about the quality and quantity the PS2 HAS. I mean they are still making good games for it today when Nintendo and MS canceled their previous systems the day the new ones come out.
He's complained about it before. Makes no sense...

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 01:38 PM

Well, I see we're good for another 2 pages.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 01:50 PM

I just don't see why you have to constantly emphasize the Wii's sales in your arguments. We know it's the best selling console of this generation. We know everyone's grandmother wants one. Are you unable to accept that it doesn't appeal to many traditional gamers, and that playing up its popularity actually makes many people (including me) like it much less?
Well if you have a look at the "discussions" about the last generation of gaming consoles, a few fanboys (who seem to change their metrics of what makes a good gaming console to support their fanboyism) argued that the PS2 was the best because it had sold the most and had the largest library of games and thus choice for gamers. I argued that the GameCube had a few great quality titles which is why i owned it.

So i decided to use their metrics and reason to show that now the Wii is the 'best' and has replaced thier company of choice at the top, but predictably their reasons have changed to suit their fanboyism. As for me, the Wii, still has a nice supply of AAA titles and the best console controller ever imo.

And yeah of course i admit, the Wii isnt perfect and definately isnt for everyone.... i wish i had a GT4/5 on the Wii thats for sure, but apart from that i really like it...the VC, WiiWare and the few boxed titles i own.

As for the XB360.... there are 2 games i would like to play.... Bioshock and Gears of War. The PS3.... none.

I think Nintendo has done an awesome job with it's comeback (NDS and Wii) technically(innovation) and the commercial success is an indicator of a job well done that deserves credit.

And please, stop with the Windows analogy, it really doesn't apply to this market imo.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 01:53 PM

He's complained about it before. Makes no sense...
Kinda like the prediction that the Wii would outsell the XB360 in the U.S. by the end of summer eh ?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 01:58 PM

...a few fanboys (who seem to change their metrics of what makes a good gaming console to support their fanboyism) argued that the PS2 was the best because it had sold the most...
Pot. Kettle. Black.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 02:14 PM

Kinda like the prediction that the Wii would outsell the XB360 in the U.S. by the end of summer eh ?
Wait, you want credit for looking at current sales trends and saying they would continue? That's not a "prediction" - that's just common sense.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 02:22 PM

Pot. Kettle. Black.
Oh ive just been using their arguments to show them why the PS2 wasnt as great as they claimed. For me The Wii has everything i liked in the GameCube (the games), it's relatively inexpensive and the innovation is through the roof.... which is why i think the Wii is the best this generation. Just so you know, saying it's the best isnt saying it's perfect.

Also, those fanboys said the Wii would not be able to outsell the PS3 or Xb360 from the time it was released, and there were some pretty harsh words that were exchanged as well. So, i enjoy rubbing it in their faces now.

Wait, you want credit for looking at current sales trends and saying they would continue? That's not a "prediction" - that's just common sense.
No i dont want 'credit' for it. some people didnt have the same 'common sense' at that time, in fact they argued quite the opposite. it's pretty frustrating having discussions with people who dont have common sense.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2008, 11:34 AM

Just watched the Microsoft and Sony presentations (or at least how much i could bear)....

Microsoft: too much of a Mii2 approach, heck given the companies history they can probably write a book on stealing ideas (Miis, PS Home, the Buzz-type movie game controller thing, cover flow, etc). Not surprised. GoW2 was ok, a nice progression for the game i guess. Huge props to them for inking the Netflix deal. I think this is the first real competitor to the iTMS movie and rentals store. I thought the Wii Music segment looked hilarious then i saw the Microsoft movie making segment and thus the bar for most ridiculous presentation was lowered even more.

Sony: That dude.... might have forgotten his Prozac medication or something, cause he just sounded so depressed. Resistance 2... more of the same. Little Big Planet.... i know they are marketing it as a 'casual' game...... maybe the visual style is casual, but given the number of options and features their packing in, im not sure it's simple enough to be called a casual game imo.

Overall, i think Microsoft probably had the best keynote of em all tho.

Cheers

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2008, 11:17 AM

"I think the worst part of Nintendo’s willful ignorance of hardcore gamers is that it shows that Nintendo really is content to rest on their laurels. “What do we care,” they must be saying. “We’re selling millions of bathroom scales, LOL!”
This brings me to my final point, which is best summarized by this vgcats strip. Nintendo has made us, the hardcore, out to be pea-brains. We’ve been swindled. Albeit, fairly. Caveat emptor, as they say. I just wish that I could have as much fun with the Wii as I’ve had with the 360, or even the DS. I wish network play was unencumbered by an archaic and ponderous friend code system. If only there was something more to do than play Metroid Prime 3 and Resident Evil 4 again and again. The hardcore gamers have been made into fools, and unless something changes in the way Nintendo exercises it’s market presence, the entire industry will be that much more worse for it."

http://www.aeropause.com/2008/07/nin...-for-everyone/

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2008, 07:17 PM

Hardcore gamers are wieners.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2008, 01:07 PM

Not just that. they seem to think they're at the center of the universe.

Despite being disappointed with Nintendo's E3 presentation, i dont think theyre abandoning the hardcore or ignoring the hardcore at all. I mean in the last 18 months they've released:
-Twilight Princess
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Smash Brothers
-Mario Kart
-Mario Party
-Metroid Prime 3
-Mario soccer or whatever
-Wario Ware

And thats not counting.... Wii Play, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Excite Truck, etc.....

Thats just under one major first party franchise every 2 months for the last 18 months. how does that compare to Microsoft's or Sony's first 18 month release schedule ? it seems like Nintendo has delivered on all their key franchizes already. Sony....Killzone2, LBP, home, etc.... uv've been waiting for how long ? Xbox, i dont know...but i dont think Micosoft has released 8-9 AAA first party titles in the last 18 months.

Maybe you(analogue) aught to direct your anger/frustration to the third parties who *should* be releasing AAA titles on the Wii as well ?

I think, Nintendo has deliberately left this window open for third parties to step up, and to take away that excuse of 'we can't compete with Nintendo' (bs). And there are a few upcoming third party 'hardcore' A+ titles scheduled for the fall.

Despite Microsoft's attempt at a Mii2 approach, it seems like Nintendo is delivering to both the core, the casual and everything in between. As far as the E3 presentation.... despite appearing to 'ignore' the hardcore, their actions seem to be proving otherwise. imo.

Oh and, fanboys.... remember last generation when many of you said Nintendo should get out of the hardware business and pull a 'Sega', and start writing software for M$ and $ony ? or just stick to handhelds and give up on home consoles ?......

SOURCE: http://www.edge-online.com/features/...ublishers-2008

now, i could be WAYYYY off here..... but wasnt Sega having some financial problems before they got out of the hardware business ? i wonder if the two companies(or their gaming divisions) at the bottom of that list have anything in common with Sega. And i wonder what Nintendo is doing at the top of that list?

So, i recommend you Nintendo haters, calm down, check the facts, and let the common sense (if any) kick in.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jul 29, 2008 at 01:16 PM. )

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2008, 01:25 PM

Ugg, there's so much I disagree with in this post I can't even start.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2008, 02:04 PM

Plus that chart includes hardware. I'd like to see a just software side of that (although I'm sure Nintendo isn't hurting, that just really seems like inflated numbers).

Oh, and the only game on that list that you could say is meant for the "hardcore" is Metroid Prime 3.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Ugg, there's so much I disagree with in this post I can't even start.
Yeah, I'm with you. I'm going to have to put Hawkeye on notice. If I read any more of his posts I might destroy things.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2008, 03:37 PM

-Super Mario Galaxy
-Smash Brothers
-Mario Kart
-Mario Party
-Mario soccer or whatever
This is what you call "hardcore" games?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 01:17 AM

I wonder what this thread would be like without Hawkeye and goMac.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 01:29 AM

Dead.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 01:31 AM

You and SW seem to be have a penchant for horse carcass violence too mind you.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
You and SW seem to be have a penchant for horse carcass violence too mind you.
Yeah, I bet

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 09:36 AM

Just got a PS3, late to the game I know.
I got a 60Gb PAL PS3, with two dual shock controllers, MGS4, Sega Ralley and Uncharted.

Its amazing - the console feels like it cost £400, it looks stunning and everything is gorgeous.

MGS4 is probably the best game I've played since Bioshock (and before that, RE4) the depth, cutscenes - everything is perfect.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I wonder what this thread would be like without Hawkeye ......
It would have probably turned out with comments such as....

-Nintendo sucks, why dont they just give up and dir
-look at that new FPS, it's so realistic, with such massive battles and blood-n-gore n babes. the innovation is through the roof
-check out this racing game, or that racing game
-i get a gajillion frames per second and i can play 1024 people online !!

...and so on and so forth...

I know it's probably great to stick to ones cave and never look outside and have a different perspective, but i think it's quite enlightening.

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm going to have to put Hawkeye on notice. If I read any more of his posts I might destroy things.
What does that mean ?

Let me state that, i dont think Microsoft nor Sony will get out of the console hardware business, simply because their other business groups will *pobably* pick up the slack. The only thing they probably regret right now, after taking such losses, is probably their inability to eliminate competitors such as Nintendo nor each other.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 10:31 AM

Ok, discussion time ... this time, XB360 and PS3 multimedia capabilities(seriously).

So the PS3 is the best Blu-Ray player. thats a great competitive edge imo. But both Microsoft and Sony have introduced download services (and Microsoft probably has the edge with it's deal with Netflix). Now when it comes to content delivery, Microsoft, Sony and Apple all seem to have an online channel, and i think we are definitely going to see some good competition in this space.

Now, i'll admit, im not the kind of guy who buys the 'collectors edition, extended version with every extra feature imaginable' version of a DVD, i usually go for the theatrical release version of the movie if i liked it. and i suspect most DVD buyers seem to do the same, i could be wrong.

What baffles me is, why Sony would release what is essentially, in my eyes, sort of a competitor to BluRay. With Microsoft, they are competing with both iTMS and BR with their download service. but i wonder how this post DVD generation will be, will people be renting n buying more movies online than on BR ?

Thoughts ?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 01:26 PM

It would have probably turned out with comments such as....

-Nintendo sucks, why dont they just give up and dir
-look at that new FPS, it's so realistic, with such massive battles and blood-n-gore n babes. the innovation is through the roof
-check out this racing game, or that racing game
-i get a gajillion frames per second and i can play 1024 people online !!

...and so on and so forth...

I know it's probably great to stick to ones cave and never look outside and have a different perspective, but i think it's quite enlightening.
That's almost as dumb as the Sony/Microsoft fanboys saying that Wiis are only meant for 8 year olds.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 01:29 PM

Ok, discussion time ... this time, XB360 and PS3 multimedia capabilities(seriously).

So the PS3 is the best Blu-Ray player. thats a great competitive edge imo. But both Microsoft and Sony have introduced download services (and Microsoft probably has the edge with it's deal with Netflix). Now when it comes to content delivery, Microsoft, Sony and Apple all seem to have an online channel, and i think we are definitely going to see some good competition in this space.

Now, i'll admit, im not the kind of guy who buys the 'collectors edition, extended version with every extra feature imaginable' version of a DVD, i usually go for the theatrical release version of the movie if i liked it. and i suspect most DVD buyers seem to do the same, i could be wrong.

What baffles me is, why Sony would release what is essentially, in my eyes, sort of a competitor to BluRay. With Microsoft, they are competing with both iTMS and BR with their download service. but i wonder how this post DVD generation will be, will people be renting n buying more movies online than on BR ?

Thoughts ?
I think there is a difference between and on-demand download service and buying a disc you can keep and play over and over again. I'll download way more movies at $2-5 than I ever would spend $30 for on Blu-Ray. Sony probably recognizes that the markets are similar but that they can coexist, so they'd rather have a piece of both pies instead of just the one.

It's a smart move business wise, IMO.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 03:10 PM

I've gone a very, very long time without owning a console. If anyone besides Dakar remembers, I've owned three XBox 360s and two Wiis during the course of about a year and a half. I sold every one of them.

After going through a detox of sorts, I'm thinking about stepping back into the game, and I was leaning towards the PS3 because of BluRay, but the Microsoft deal with Netflix has me interested. I (finally) subscribed to Netflix, and now I'm back in the same boat I was a year ago, wondering what to get.

I don't really have anything else swaying me, since the systems both have all the titles that I'd want (Tiger Woods, Pro Evo, NCAA Football...), except for Halo on one side and MGS on the other.

Anyone here feel like getting me in even more trouble with the Mrs.?

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 03:37 PM

Chances are if you sold the 360's you'd sell the PS3. Unless you *really* enjoy watching movies in high-def, there isn't terribly much difference between the two at this point, other than Resistance and MGS4.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 03:46 PM

I guess this is kind of interesting, SEGA-boys want to be a top dog and (I guess) they welcome the broader market the Wii has opened.

Sega: "We Don't Want To Be Activision"

Where do you want Sega to be in five years?

Five years is a long time in this business, but I really hope we're going to be a top-five publisher. I can't believe us not being a top-five publisher on a global basis, not just in North America. I think that's something [that] will be tremendous.

Where I would really like for us to be is at the cutting edge of every platform, to be the go-to publisher for Sony with its next system and with Microsoft with its next system. We kind of are like that with Nintendo right now, and thanks to our relationship with Apple, we are kind of like that on the iPhone at the moment. But I want to really get that same kind of recognition with Microsoft and Sony. We have solid relationships, but when they're launching a new platform I want them to come to Sega to build their killer app.

What's the most exciting thing happening in the games industry right now?

The most interesting thing is the mass acceptance of gaming. It's gone from being kind of a nerdy, exclusive niche activity to probably the preeminent form of entertainment in North America. Pretty much every kid born in North America is going to be a gamer, which means that the market is only going to get bigger from here. I've been in the game business for 22 years, and that's the most noticeable thing: this tangible cultural feel that gaming is huge and everyone wants to be a part of it. I think the gaming business is in a healthy state right now. There will continue to be casualties, but that's just like every business.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2008, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I've gone a very, very long time without owning a console. If anyone besides Dakar remembers, I've owned three XBox 360s and two Wiis during the course of about a year and a half. I sold every one of them.

After going through a detox of sorts, I'm thinking about stepping back into the game, and I was leaning towards the PS3 because of BluRay, but the Microsoft deal with Netflix has me interested. I (finally) subscribed to Netflix, and now I'm back in the same boat I was a year ago, wondering what to get.

I don't really have anything else swaying me, since the systems both have all the titles that I'd want (Tiger Woods, Pro Evo, NCAA Football...), except for Halo on one side and MGS on the other.

I am really happy with my PS3 purchase(I also own a Wii) and HD movies are fantastic. As for the netflix service on the Xbox360 its not all that. It's not as if every title you can get mailed to you on Netflix will be available for download. I think its the same service they offer on PC's. In other words, if you have a queu of 200 movies maybe 15 will be available as a download.

In order to have access to the Neflix download service on the 360 I believe you also have to have the gold membership from what I've heard--so its not free. You're then essentially paying double for those netflix titles if you are only getting the Xbox360 to download and watch movies.

If all titles in the netflix catalog became available for download on the 360 and I didn't have to pay an additional membership fee for access then they'd have something.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

As of this moment I'd say the best games are on the 360, although many of them are cross platform. But with FFXIII coming to both the PS3 and the 360 I'd put the 360 at the top for a while.

PS3 is a good system too, though. Once their online services catch up with Live they'll be hard to beat.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Chances are if you sold the 360's you'd sell the PS3. Unless you *really* enjoy watching movies in high-def, there isn't terribly much difference between the two at this point, other than Resistance and MGS4.
There's the shameful part. I sold the 360s in order to buy a Wii.

By the time I was done, I could've bought both with the money I had lost.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 06:38 PM

I think the PS3 has a definite advantage with BluRay over the XB360. But now that the XBox has the NetFlix thing, does that 'diminish' the advantage of BluRay ? (i assume the online catalog will expand over time).

Personally, i'd prefer to own the movie on a Disc.

As far as gaming, i *think* the XB360 has more AAA EXCLUSIVE titles than the PS3, right ?

Another factor for me would be how well either system talks to my Mac, i dont want to muck around with hacks and stuff to get my media onto my TV if i were to get one of these boxes.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 06:52 PM

The 360 has more and better games than the PS3. I don't really put much stock in the Netflix thing. Have you ever checked out Netflix's online streaming catalog? It's TERRIBLE. Worst selection of B- and C-grade movies I've ever seen. I can't remember finding a single movie on there that I'd actually want to see. The quality is pretty low as well.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 07:06 PM

While the streaming library is tiny you can still get movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Young Frankenstein, The Meaning of Life, and a sh!tload of TV shows.

Yes lots of crap, but there are plenty of decent things to watch. I for one look forward to the ability to stream Netflix to my 32" TV instead of maneuvering around the bed to watch it on my iMac.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 07:29 PM

I'm not a Netflix subscriber, but I do think that the new feature on the Xbox that allows you and a friend (who also subscribes to Netflix) to watch the same streaming movie at the same time. That's pretty neat.

But if Netflix were to beef up their streaming content and the quality of the streamed movies (which I hear isn't that great) I'd subscribe just for that.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 05:04 AM

<sigh> looks like im going to have to get that Motion+ thing ....

http://gonintendo.com/?p=51076
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jul 31, 2008 at 06:13 AM. )

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 05:46 AM

or one per wii mote ...
we don't have time to stop for gas

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2008, 06:02 AM

Yeah luckily i only have one . of all the white-plastic-accessories that Nintendo has released, i think this one is probably the most significant and will be integrated into the Wiimote2. just my opinion. And it really doesn't look as horrendous as i thought it would.

Forum Links
Forum Rules