Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 159)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 02:16 PM

OnLive is offering 0 games for $15 a month.

The comparison is equal.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post

The cable that attaches the Nunchuck to the Wiimote is laughable
This is another example of how NIntendo is CHEAP. Why does that nun-chuck not have bluetooth? Because Nintendo can use a cable to get BT of the Wiimote yet still charge a ton of money for the nun-chuck. Why is there another add on device to make the Wii work the way it should have from day 1. Did giros just get invented in the last 6 months? THe actual IR pointing is still laughably inaccurate. Every time I point the wiimote at my 50" TV the aim is off by at least 8-10 inches in reality.

Remember if you are a nintendo fan it is all about how much money Nintendo is making and how many games they sell not how you as the customer benefits.

Some motion control games like SIlent HIll are almost unusable on the wii. It doesn't properly or accurately interpret movements so I just shake it randomly and it eventually works.

It is also sad seeing a new WIi user playing wii sports figure out within 1 minute that they can get the same end result if they swing their arm hard or just lazily flick the wrist.

I actually look forward to the Move as with the Camera and Ambient reality might actually give us a good motion experience. Natal looks kinda annoying.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 02:27 PM

Anytime I play someone's Wii I have to regularly shake the remote to re-center the cursor. it gets even worse if 4 people are playing and you aren't sitting dead-center. The Wii Motion Plus helps with movement, for sure, but does nothing to address this centering issue, that I always have no matter what the situation.

Say you are in the middle of a boss fight in Metroid and you've gotta pee. You put the Wiimote down and head away for a few minutes. When you get back and point the Wiimote at the TV the centering will always be completely f**ked up. The way I've found to fix this is vigorously shake the Wiimote and abruptly stop while pointing it as close to center on the TV as possible.

I agree with everything Analogue said. At first you think the Wii wants you to perform accurate movements, but then you realize it's not sensitive enough to even realize what you are doing. Sitting back on the couch and flicking your wrist works with 90% of the games and provides a far worse gaming experience than joysticks and buttons.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 03:02 PM

Anytime I play someone's Wii I have to regularly shake the remote to re-center the cursor.
Were't you all gay for the Wii a year or 2 ago and gave me crap for knocking it?

I found that the Wii loses sight of the remote easily if I have my halogen lights on which are 3 feet from the TV and behind it. It keeps confusing them with the IR sensor for some reason. I can see it happen in the sensitivity setting.

Even with the lights off though playing metroid is a huge ass pain as if you point it just a foot or so off the TV borders it loses sight and asks you to point at the screen. Even worse some actions require gestures or flicks so when you perform those it still gives you crap for not pointing at the screen.

The only thing I thing I like about the wii is the speaker on the controller as you hold it to you ear as a cellphone in Silent Hill and other feedback from it is welcome.

I would have GLADLY paid TWICE as much for the Wii or even more if the damn thing did HD and more accurate controls. Before the wii launched I went from Nintendo fanboy to depressed how they pretty much gave up and went for the cheap impulse toy market. As I mentioned then putting all your eggs in a controller that the other can easily copy isn't a good idea.

Now with the Sony Motion and Natal they have both surpassed the Wii in all capabilities other than "Mario in something", crapware mini-games and Zelda every 3 years.

I've been getting a much bigger kick out of titles on my PS3 and XBOX than anything Mario or Zelda can deliver other than nostalgia.

Sims creator: Wii belongs in the 'toy market'
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Were't you all gay for the Wii a year or 2 ago and gave me crap for knocking it?
I don't recall ever being gay for the Wii, I thought it was pretty damn cool and I wanted one...until I actually used it and found out it sucked ass.

In Metroid you know how you use the energy grapple to tear open barricaded doors? That's a real fun thing to do seven times in a row before the game finally realizes what you are trying to do.

Also, using motion controls to turn your character around is downright abysmal in every First Person game on the Wii.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 03:20 PM

In Metroid you know how you use the energy grapple to tear open barricaded doors? That's a real fun thing to do seven times in a row before the game finally realizes what you are trying to do.

Also, using motion controls to turn your character around is downright abysmal in every First Person game on the Wii.
Oh ya that grapple was a huge pain. But your wrong according to "some" here the very first FPS for the wii at launch (red something) "Set the Gold standard for FPS controls"

I just found out that on Sony motion controller the ball light changes colour depending on game context which is cool. Things like weapons can be different colour or it can just flash when you hit an object.

The ambient reality also looks pretty cool as it really masks a object over the controller to make it look like something else. It's also really damn accurate. Just wished they came out with a better EyeTV at the same time.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 03:23 PM

I've actually always thought of the Wii as more of a female. Wouldn't that make him all hetero for it?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2010, 03:38 PM

Not me. Although I do remember giving you crap regarding your prediction on how the PSP was going to dominate over the DS.

Before the wii launched I went from Nintendo fanboy to depressed how they pretty much gave up and went for the cheap impulse toy market.
Your Nintendo fanboy card was pulled long before the wii was launched. Come to think of it, I don't ever remember you being a fanboy of Nintendo. You always seemed like a Sony whore to me.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Your Nintendo fanboy card was pulled long before the wii was launched. Come to think of it, I don't ever remember you being a fanboy of Nintendo. You always seemed like a Sony whore to me.
Yuck no way.

I was all about exclusive systems being Nintindo, Super Nintendo, Gameboy, N64 and Gamecube <- that's where the problem started.

I hated PS1 for no reason other than I was a nintendo fan and believed CD's must take forever to load.

With the gamecube I got bummed out after 2 years and 3 good games so I bit the bullet and got a PS2. It totally blew my mind with the visuals and the fact that there was amazing music, audio voiceovers and not just text on screen. Oh and a ton of good games to choose from. It put a taste in my mouth for not having to wait 2 years for a good nintendo game and I got an Xbox 1 as well. Out of all the systems at the time I like the games for Xbox but hated the hardware.

When the Wii and DS was announced I knew Nintendo has lost it's way for good and was going to take the same lazy/cheap hardware/software route and no good 3rd party games... AGAIN.

At this point I am a PS3 lover for sure. The Xbox is ok but the hardware is junk and feels dated when I swap disks midway through a game.

Not buying the next PSP, DS or Wii HD that's for damn sure.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 04:06 PM

Y feels dated when I swap disks midway through a game.
Yeah, I know, that happens to me all the time.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 05:15 PM

The 360 itself does feel and look a little cheaper than the PS3 (to say nothing of the RRoD), but the controller does keep growing on me. I just wish my left pinky wouldn't go numb after extended playing sessions. I've tried every adjustment to stop the problem, and I can't find a solution.

And yeah, it is annoying to swap discs whenever MW2 goes through a map change on multiplayer. I think my wife accidentally threw away the Karachi DVD.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 05:17 PM

I don't think the new slim looks less cheap than the 360. The old PS3s did look better but they were also hella more expensive.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 05:21 PM

See, I find the Slims much more visually appealing. My fat PS3 is nice and shiny, but I prefer the matte finish and shorter, thinner build.

Irritating note: even the new PS3s don't supporter 802.11N, but my expensive add-on 360 adapter does. The omission makes sense, since they were still losing money on them, but c'mon...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 05:23 PM

The tops of the new slims remind me of cheap-ass VCRs.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 05:29 PM

As opposed to:

(sorry for the size - and I couldn't get a better top view as quickly as I'd have liked)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 05:32 PM

I think that looks like a cheap DELL PC. Which is not too far off (excluding processor differences).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 05:41 PM

It's been an ugly generation for consoles. The Wii isn't that attractive either, except for the blue glowing light that rarely comes on.

The slim PS2 is about as nice of a console as I remember.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The 360 itself does feel and look a little cheaper than the PS
It is loud as hell, RROD and the HUGE power supply needs to be dragged out onto the streets and shot.

The design is also ridiculous with that giant power button, seams galore, faceplates and hot rod hard drive on top. It looks like it is trying to convey power through design like some cheap modded muscle-car.

I think the PS3 slim looks better than the original for most parts.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 05:44 PM

On the other hand, the original xbox would need to have a paper bag over it for me to play it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
On the other hand, the original xbox would need to have a paper bag over it for me to play it.
True but a 360 with that powersupply and the controller cables plugged into it looks even worse. Lets not talk the Wifi adaptor or HD-DVD drive.

Sony needs major props for getting the power supply and BR inside even the original PS3.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 05:49 PM

It is loud as hell, RROD and the HUGE power supply needs to be dragged out onto the streets and shot.

The design is also ridiculous with that giant power button, seams galore, faceplates and hot rod hard drive on top. It looks like it is trying to convey power through design like some cheap modded muscle-car.

I think the PS3 slim looks better than the original for most parts.
Yeah, the faceplates themselves are enough to irritate me. The seams are out of control.

Someone built an XBox 360 "Elegant Edition." And...

...it looks like an alarm clock.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 05:50 PM

True but a 360 with that powersupply and the controller cables plugged into it looks even worse. Lets not talk the Wifi adaptor or HD-DVD drive.
Man, your life must suck. I mean, for me, the power supply is behind the entertainment center, like for every other piece of electronics, my controller is wireless, I don't need wifi, and I didn't buy a loser like HD-DVD.

Face it man, you're cursed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 05:50 PM

Yeah, the faceplates themselves are enough to irritate me. The seams are out of control.

Someone built an XBox 360 "Elegant Edition." And...

...it looks like an alarm clock.
It looks like a giant wii with a black band and a green light instead of blue.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 06:00 PM

Man, your life must suck. I mean, for me, the power supply is behind the entertainment center, like for every other piece of electronics, my controller is wireless, I don't need wifi, and I didn't buy a loser like HD-DVD.

Face it man, you're cursed.
Ya you're right it is behind the entertainment centre. On the floor, with the dust and all the other heat from the other devices. Good thing the power supply has its OWN DAMN FAN to suck it all in!

I remember when it first came out people would hang the power supply mid air for ventilation and wrap the 360 in a cold damn towel to keep it from crashing.

And dont' call Eug a loser for buying that HD-DVD add on!

Oh and I forgot, the damn thing didn't even come with HDMI and the giant friggin' cables that fall out easily suck too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 06:03 PM

Oh and I forgot, the damn thing didn't even come with HDMI and the giant friggin' cables that fall out easily suck too.
Yeah, and the PS3 doesn't now, either.

So, any thoughts left on the discussion about OnLive we were having until the top of this page?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 07:22 PM

I love the original Xbox. I have a refurbed launch system and it still runs, now it functions as a media server. Xbox LIve on the original Xbox trumped anything that generation, cased closed.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 07:22 PM

PS3 is VGA only at this point. Eeeehhhh...

So, any thoughts left on the discussion about OnLive we were having until the top of this page?
Other than I have absolutely no interest in it? I just hate subscription-based models, and cloud computing/gaming/whatever still has another 2-4 years before I think it'll be reasonable.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 08:26 PM

Yeah, and the PS3 doesn't now, either.
Weird I missed the press release that said the PS3 was component only

Are you confused?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2010, 10:19 PM

I hated PS1 for no reason other than I was a nintendo fan and believed CD's must take forever to load.
Man, I loved the PS1. In fact, that was the only Playstation system I ever owned. So many great games on that system!

I love the original Xbox. I have a refurbed launch system and it still runs, now it functions as a media server. Xbox LIve on the original Xbox trumped anything that generation, cased closed.
Word. I still got mine if i ever want to play N64, TG16, Genesis, Neo Geo, SNES, NES, Master System games, etc, etc, etc. Modded Xbox is great to have.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 11, 2010, 10:39 PM

I don't recall ever being gay... I thought it was pretty damn cool and I actually used it ...and found out it sucked ass.
What?! sorry Sek, couldn't pass it up

Anyway, my early vote is both PS MOVE and Natal fail terribly, Nintendo owns this stupid "everyones a gamer" genre. Although i see the good in this motion tech, it just needs more time to mature, maybe next gen. But until then give me the thumbsticks and buttons.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 11, 2010, 10:40 PM

Xbox LIve on the original Xbox trumped anything that generation, cased closed.
Halo 2 on Xbox Live was an unstoppable force of online gaming. That game/Xbox Live made me a multiplayer gamer.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2010, 04:24 AM

PlayStation 3 {Slim} is a much needed exercise of visual modesty.
XB360 is a powerful obstruction to the voluntary exercise of self-consciousness.
Wii has been modest from left to right since day one.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
What?! sorry Sek, couldn't pass it up

Anyway, my early vote is both PS MOVE and Natal fail terribly, Nintendo owns this stupid "everyones a gamer" genre. Although i see the good in this motion tech, it just needs more time to mature, maybe next gen. But until then give me the thumbsticks and buttons.
NATAL isn't going to work as controller replacement, and subconsciously, we all already knew this. It's why when we're little kids lip-syncing to a song, we'd rather hold a turkey baster as a fake microphone than nothing at all.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2010, 10:55 AM

Weird I missed the press release that said the PS3 was component only

Are you confused?
Yes, you mentioned HDMI and cables, I thought you were talking about HDMI cables.

have absolutely no interest in it? I just hate subscription-based models, and cloud computing/gaming/whatever still has another 2-4 years before I think it'll be reasonable.
I was talking to Digital Jimmies. We were having a conversation about OnLive until we suddenly weren't.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2010, 11:35 AM

Friday News: NPD Edition

Mandatory IW rumors:
Rumor: Why Call of Duty Developers Are Sticking Around - Call of duty: modern warfare 2 - Kotaku
Sources tell Kotaku that Modern Warfare publisher Activision is delaying paying Infinity Ward employees their royalties. Every employee who worked on Modern Warfare 2 is apparently in for royalties. Traditionally, Infinity Ward has paid staff regular or even "low" salaries, sources tell Kotaku, but offer ridiculous royalties to compensate.
Believable, since they need those employees to get the DLC out by the end of the month. I wonder how legal it is, but then again, lose/lose situation.

February NPD: Xbox 360 and BioShock 2 sales heat up -- Joystiq

-DS: 613K 191K (45%)
-360: 422K 89K (27%)
-Wii: 398K 68K (-15%)
-PS3: 360K 83K (30%)
-PSP: 133K 33K (33%)
-PS2: 102K 60K (143%)

Huge bump for the PS2, and an inexplicable win for the 360 in the console arena. More confusingly, what the hell spurred those sales?

BioShock 2 - Xbox 360 - Take-Two - 562.9K
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Wii - Nintendo - 555.6K
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Xbox 360 - Activision - 314.3K
Just Dance - Wii - Ubisoft - 275.4K
Wii Sports Resort - Wii - Nintendo - 272.5K
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - PS3 - Activision - 252.8K
Mass Effect 2 - 360 - EA - 246.5K
Dante's Inferno (Divine Edition) - PS3 - EA - 242.5K
Dante's Inferno - 360 - EA - 224.7K
Heavy Rain - PS3 - Sony - 219.3K

BioShock 2 unsurprisingly snags the top spot, though with traditionally low spring sub-million numbers. MW2 showing a surprisingly large amount of staying power. Heavy Rain manages to sneak in on three days of sales, which is encouraging.

Honestly, I'm more curious for next month (FFXIII) and how the consoles breakdown will occur (PS3 in landslide, but how much of one) and it's boost to hardware (will PS3 finally take the top spot?)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2010, 12:48 PM

Honestly, I'm more curious for next month (FFXIII) and how the consoles breakdown will occur (PS3 in landslide, but how much of one) and it's boost to hardware (will PS3 finally take the top spot?)
So you have stock? Seriously why should we care?

If DS or PS3 sell a million more units or take a tank how does that help us at the consumer?

I care about good hardware and good games and a bunch of people buying their 3rd DS in pink isn't really going to change any of that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2010, 12:53 PM

Do you have stock in my interests? Why do you care if I care?

You'll ****ing nit pick anything.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2010, 01:52 PM

Because it's interesting?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2010, 02:41 PM

Ain't that the truth.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2010, 05:57 PM

Do you have stock in my interests? Why do you care if I care?

Actually I believe you are the one nitpicking sales numbers as if that is going to change anything in this discussion.

Ohhh. Some silly game came out in Japan so hardware sales are up 80% for this weekend and next they will be down 30%.

Fascinating.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2010, 06:03 PM

Actually I believe you are the one nitpicking sales numbers as if that is going to change anything in this discussion.
It's called analysis, and a light one at that. I'm sure you're about to prove you don't know the difference between the two.

Ohhh. Some silly game came out in Japan so hardware sales are up 80% for this weekend and next they will be down 30%.

Fascinating.
You know what's even less fascinating? This conversation.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2010, 07:27 PM

I thought for sure you would care about the sales numbers for Heavy Rain. Here's what you said 3 pages ago.

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES
I haven't seen a single ad, preview, hype nothing until a week ago and I am usually on top of these things.
I get the feeling it is going to be highly rated and not sell great at all.

Or perhaps it will surprise me and do pretty respectably and we get part 2 some day!
I guess you don't care if you get a part 2 after all.

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES
Yeah it does. Hawkeye can't come in hear and boast that the Wii is the top selling console. At least for this month.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 12, 2010, 11:12 PM

It's why when we're little kids lip-syncing to a song, we'd rather hold a turkey baster as a fake microphone than nothing at all.
You always seem to bust out some great analogy, i have to say i agree with you. for the first time i need to clarify no sarcasm there.
( Last edited by Kevin Bogues; Mar 12, 2010 at 11:19 PM. )

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 12, 2010, 11:17 PM

I must say i enjoy the light analysis of sales numbers, maybe its my thing/degree/job but it always gives me a sense of a market i'm more heavly involved in than any other. Maybe someone here has stock in these companies or maybe they don't, but do we really need some smart a** comment about every post?...didn't think so

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 13, 2010, 05:28 PM

First review for Metro 2033 is out and its not IGN, Gameshit (gamespot), or even xbox magazine but its enough to say i'm sold.

The review is from Xbox 360 World UK - Rated it a 9.0 (for comparison they rated MW2 9.3)

I won't post the entire review txt here but if your interested, its a good read (sek, this means you).

But i do have two quotes,

The first is the review intro: (long but good)
You're crouched in a corner clutching your AK-47 with both hands. You're down to your last magazine. Five monsters are trying to get a lock on your scent in the next room and just beyond them a group of Nazis are sitting at their sentry post waiting for movement. You should have saved some ammunition but you blew it all to buy a sniper rifle at the last outpost. Nietzschean law doesn't apply: what doesn't kill you here just makes you weaker. You want to go back but you can't: the shelter doors are locked and won't be opening again any time soon. Life in the Metro is tough - but above ground the situation's even worse.

Your mother would have told you this but she died when you were young. Life in a cramped station was all you knew, so who can blame you for wanting to venture outside? But the sky doesn't look like you'd imagined. The postcards pinned to your wall depict clear blue heavens. Here, though, rolling storm clouds and dust blot out the sun.

You count yourself lucky given that the hole in the ozone layer makes sunlight deadly but then you remember the tough spot you're in and your grip on the weapon tightens. It's crazy to let your mind wander like this and you blame it on your gas mask's clogged filters. Your visor slowly fills with condensation. Your laboured breathing is now accompanied by pronounced wheezes. Any louder and you'll alert the monsters. What a fine mess you're in - not enough air, not enough bullets and no options but to press on. But you're having the time of your life.
The second made me go from 6 to midnight....
The world is utterly captivating: if the theme is strictly Fallout and the concept is Bioshock, Metro's closest cousin in terms of game mechanics is undoubtedly Half-Life 2.

EDIT: Triple post? WTF
( Last edited by Kevin Bogues; Mar 13, 2010 at 05:34 PM. )

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2010, 01:33 AM

(will PS3 finally take the top spot?)
Nope.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2010, 08:02 AM

That Sony Move controller (apart from being a copy of a paradigm invented by another company in more ways than one), looks like a joke. That ball on the end really looks ridiculously ugly. i thought they would have found a way to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

I doubt it will be a success until they start bundling it in with the console(like the way that other company did), and price i accordingly.

As i've mentioned before i am considering a PS3(waiting for Last Guardian)....but i do think MOVE aesthetically looks like a joke.

What i personally think will be interesting is how the fanboys, now that this paradigm is being marketed with a different logo on it, will(or will not) embrace it despite all the reservations and quibbles they had before (swinging arms is tiring, preferring buttons and analog sticks to pointing, etc). I wonder where that other company will be with it's next console and new controller, so this entire 'discussion' can go back to square one, with the same fanboyish arguments from the same people.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 14, 2010 at 08:08 AM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2010, 12:01 PM

So far the consensus seems to be that motion controls suck no matter what system released them. Of course Sony's motion controller already trumps the Nintendo Wiimote in more ways than one, what will be interesting is to see you claim that Nintendo's offering is better despite the fact that most gen. 1 tech products are always bested a few years later.

TO reiterate, Apple wasn't the first to make a HDD-based MP3 player, yet we don't fault them for jumping on the bandwagon. Maybe Sony had plans all along for motion controls, but they let Nintendo work out all the kinks and test the market.

Either way you won't see me change stance on motion controls. They are a non-immersive, sloppy way to interact with games.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I thought for sure you would care about the sales numbers for Heavy Rain. Here's what you said 3 pages ago.
That was a really lame example. Of course I care if a game that is probibly underrated sells or not. Heavy Rain was amazing and the studio totally deserves the money and credit for it. If they didn't get it they might not make another game. On the other hand if they sell 1 million copies or 10 million it doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't bomb.

3 years after the fact I could care less how many 360's sold, how many Wii etc as they are hardly amazing products that are going uncredited.

While we are at it why don't we watch the daily stock prices for Nintendo too and hope it somehow results in better motion control and more games.

This round of game system wars has proven that if you are selling like hotcakes the company doesn't have to try hard. You think if the Wii wasn't selling to every 12 year old girl they wouldn't feel the pressure to come out with an HD version or heck even some good games?

The wii is the IE6 of games systems. Nintendo is complacent and lazier than ever.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2010, 11:01 PM

So far the consensus seems to be that motion controls suck no matter what system released them. Of course Sony's motion controller already trumps the Nintendo Wiimote in more ways than one, what will be interesting is to see you claim that Nintendo's offering is better despite the fact that most gen. 1 tech products are always bested a few years later.

TO reiterate, Apple wasn't the first to make a HDD-based MP3 player, yet we don't fault them for jumping on the bandwagon. Maybe Sony had plans all along for motion controls, but they let Nintendo work out all the kinks and test the market.

Either way you won't see me change stance on motion controls. They are a non-immersive, sloppy way to interact with games.
Well..apparently now Sony and Microsoft dont seem convinced about your opinion on motion controls.

I do like that Sony acknowledged Nintendo's efforts(successful) in stimulating the market for motion controls in consoles.

I'm sure the Move is technically better (me2+1). The same way that Windows was "better" than the MacOS. I am not a fan of simply delivering a me2+1 product. With MP3 players.... Apple didnt invent portable audio, HDDs or the internet. Yet if you compare MP3 players before the iPod with those after the iPod, you will probably notice the influence of the iPod. The UI/front-end/human-computer-interface of these devices is what makes them. imho. In the case of the iPod...the syncing, the scroll-wheel and iTunes....and eventually iTMS. And today you have every other competitor trying to duplicate and deliver the experience of the whole widget. Just as Sony has done with the Move.

I would like to see games like MadWorld, Dead Space Extraction, House of the Dead Overkill and Deadly Creatures and other core titles that 'failed' on the Wii, ported to the PS3 and Move, and i'd like to see well they do (as a percentage of installed base). Seeing as how core titles do a lot better on the 'core' consoles, and how many of you would have bought these games had they not been on the Wii, these games should do really well on the PS360. I assume classic controls could be an included option as well seeing as how thats the default controller on those systems.

On XB360's win for February...congratulations to Microsoft. In all honesty that's like claiming it's the tallest midget, in a month which saw a significant drop from last year. But congratulations to them for maintaing stock levels and overall beating the competition for the month.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 15, 2010 at 11:08 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules