Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo DSi

Nintendo DSi
ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2009, 06:14 PM

I was thinking of getting a pre-order on one, but I'm going to pass. My DS Lite is doing just fine, and apart from the DSi Ware store, I don't know of any DSi titles coming out at launch. I've read that there will be 2 types of cartridges, DSi only and DS enhanced, but I don't know of any DSi cartridge game titles coming out. All the bundles for pre order (in the UK anyway) that I've seen are for a DSi, accessories and/or DS games. My mate works in a game shop and he thinks it will be scarce like the Wii was at launch unless you pre-order to guarantee getting one. Still not going for it now, I'll probably get one later on when there's more stuff available and the store gets more interesting stuff than an Animal Crossing calculator.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2009, 10:14 AM

Meh.

While i do expect this console to be a massive hit, my NDSL is doing just fine. The SD card support could open up some interesting opportunities, but the device just isnt different enough to justify a purchase for me either. I'll wait and see what the next device will be for now.

If what you say is true, i think it's a horrible idea to segment the market with DSL and DSi specific game carts. And i can't think of any killer app right now that would justify a purchase for me.

While i credit the NDSL for getting me to purchase my first portable gaming console, i think i'm going to have wait for something as revolutionary/cool before my next portable purchase.

Next on my portable gaming list GTA(DS)

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 29, 2009 at 10:22 AM. )

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2009, 02:50 PM

Segmenting the market is a terrible business decision. I can't imagine why they are doing this.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2009, 04:55 PM

To update from the GBA to the GBA SP was a no-brainer cause the backlight screen, but right now my DS (the bulky model, not even the cute Lite model) is doing fine as well, the fact that it has the Miyamoto signature on it also helps, actually it is a sticker but whatever, the signature is there. And… I have GBA cartridges as well, and while I still have the GBA SP (black) (plus two original GameBoy, grey&green) I prefer to play them on the DS. I don't think I am updating to DSi as of today.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2009, 06:22 PM

I almost preordered it, but meh. I don't need it when I have an iPhone for the few games I have on it.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2009, 06:58 AM

Here you go - Announcement at GDC 09 for DSi only and DSi Enhanced cards.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/25/gd...rds-announced/

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2009, 07:29 AM

So like the actual hardware is identical (the cartridges)... the difference will be the software and it's requirements, and the branding of the package.

So essentially there will be three different types of cartridges ? it's obvious they did this to bridge the transition, but seems... kinda messy eh ?

They should have waited till 2010 and announced the successor to the NDS with backwards compatibility to the NDS. just my opinion.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2009, 10:33 AM

This would be my first DS, so I'm considering it. The DS Lite being $40 cheaper is making it a tough decision, though.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2009, 12:38 PM

I'd suggest you go with the DSi....
-bigger screens
-lighter and thinner
-SD card slot opens up some interesting possibilities
-better wifi networking
-cameras (meh)

The only con is it's battery life is lower than the DS Lite.

But i think if you are a first time DS buyer, the bigger screens and SD card slot is justification enough to get it instead of the Lite.

Cheers

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2009, 01:31 AM

I forgot I promised one for my daughter for her birthday. So I got one for her, played with it for about an hour or more. It's ok. I don't see anything special about it. Oh yeah, it has a bad camera and you can play MP3s on it. Gee, didn't the Nintendo crowd poo-poo that on the PSP at one point?

Anyway, it's ok. The OS/UI isn't nearly as slick as the PSP, but it gets the job done.

Is there something uber about this thing I'm missing?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2009, 10:58 AM

I wish they'd also provide an update for the DS Lite to support WPA. Oh well.

In the meantime, I won't be upgrading - the DSi doesn't support any of the current homebrew cards available from sites like DealExtreme. Having another device with a camera isn't a compelling enough reason to upgrade, either.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

supernova59@
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2009, 08:31 AM

I bought a DSi to try out before buying more for various nieces and nephews in the 6-14 age range.
And no, the DSOne cart doesn’t work in it, and I have yet to see a hack cart available, even though this has been out in Japan for a while.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2009, 09:35 AM

As far as the 'Hack Carts' go, the DSi has got an updateable system now, like a Wii. So if there are any hacks out there that work now, and you pay up to get one, there's no guarantee that the next DSi firmware update won't wipe out that hack and leave it useless. You could always skip the update, I suppose, but then you would probably be missing out on added features to the system. I'm still happy with my DS Lite, and I still haven't seen a DSi only game.

Forum Links
Forum Rules