Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Whole House Audio System

Whole House Audio System
ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2009, 10:46 PM

Well, I haven't posted here in awhile, but I figured you guys might be a good source when it comes to opinions on a whole house audio system. I am moving into a new house in a few weeks and, get this, my wife inquired about a whole house audio system. It is something that I have wanted for years but never really wanted to drop the coin for. So this brings me here... do any of you have experience shopping for/installing/researching whole house audio systems? We would like to keep it pretty cheap as we will be dropping some serious money on the house. So far I have seen two manufacturers recommended. http://www.nuvotechnologies.com/ and http://www.zonaudio.com/.
My main requirements are as follows:
1. iTunes/iPod/Mac mini integration
2. Easy to use
3. Best quality for the least amount of $$$
4. Possible to install it myself

Can any of you help me?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2009, 11:38 PM

Interesting.

I can't really help you since my whole-house speaker setup already was here when I moved in. However, FWIW, my whole house system which is simply speakers all around the house hooked up to (I believe) impedance balanced volume switches, all connected to a multi-zone speaker selection hub, which in turn is hooked up to a standard audio receiver.

The receiver is hooked up to an Airport Express, which gets music from iTunes on my iMac. All is controlled by my iPhone. Note that I found wireless 802.11g with the Airport Express unreliable, so I actually use: iMac --> Ethernet --> powerline networking --> Ethernet --> Airport Express. (There was no existing CAT5 for this purpose, so I had to improvise.)

I can hook up other audio sources to the receiver too, but obviously I have no way of controlling them from the iPhone.

However, I assume your house's walls are already drywalled. If not, you can add all the wiring easily. If so, then no dice.

ThisGuy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2009, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the info. I am pretty handy and might to the wiring myself. It just seems so much easier buying a system that is pre-built. From what you wrote mine will probably look quite similar. Thanks again for the input.

Forum Links
Forum Rules