Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > computer use at night leads to depression

computer use at night leads to depression
davemchine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2012, 05:49 AM

This article proposes that late night computer use can lead to depression. It actually seems to indicate exposure to light late at night can do the same thing.
http://www.canada.com/health/Late+night+computer+sessions+linked+depression/6981526/story.html

So let's assume it is true. I don't have the option to go to bed early at night. I have about an hour between 9 and 10 when I am all alone but do not have the option of going to bed. I usually watch a tv show, surf fark or digg, and then go to bed. So if that causes depression then I need an alternate activity. What do you suggest?

Dave

design219
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2012, 06:54 AM

This seems completely plausible to me. I used to have some late nights with the computer, and those seemed like less happy times. Then again, it might have been less happy because I HAD to have late nights with the computer.

Anyway, reading before bed is the best. And not technical manuals, text books or news, something just for escape. For me, a couple chapters of an interesting book helps me sleep great, and sometimes influences my dreams.

By the way, I think cutting back on news helps with mood. I just read the news during my lunch hour, or when there is something really big. I think cable news has made us a sad nation. IMO.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by davemchine View Post
surf fark or digg, and then go to bed. So if that causes depression then I need an alternate activity. What do you suggest?
****in' reddit. Digg sucks the happiness right out of you.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2012, 11:43 AM

I notice that I sleep better when I read paper books rather than e-books on my iPad - which is annoying. If I do want to read from a screen try and compensate by turning the brightness all the way down.

Also, I try to switch off screens by about 8:00pm. I don't watch TV, so no great hardship there.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by davemchine View Post
I usually watch a tv show, surf fark or digg, and then go to bed. So if that causes depression then I need an alternate activity. What do you suggest?
Dave
A good drink and a good book.

Or wanking.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules