Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Who is behind the Arizona recount debacle?

Who is behind the Arizona recount debacle?
Thorzdad
Aug 5, 2021, 07:47 AM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 5, 2021, 11:01 AM

Oh good, my election anxiety needed a big boost.

andi*pandi
Aug 5, 2021, 12:36 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2021, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I picked a name (Shiva Bagheri) and googled it.

First link was her Twitter. Twitter profile links to her dance studio where she teaches dance.

For money.

Am I mistaken in considering this a “visible means of income”?

Edit: I also gather she’s married, and lives in Beverly Hills. Is she supporting this lifestyle by astroturfing, or is there a rather straightforward, obvious, and more likely answer as to how she’s supported?
( Last edited by subego; Aug 5, 2021 at 01:29 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 5, 2021, 04:25 PM

I've seen this "They have an IMDB page!!" thing before, and I guess I don't know what the ramifications of that are. Do you have to have previous work as an actor to have an IMDB page? Do you have to have an agent at some kind of real agency? Or can anyone create one for themselves? I'd imagine a good portion of people in LA would have an IMDB page as many of them would have work in or related to film/TV, or at least they aspired to at some point.

Is this just the left's attempt to turn the "paid actors" narrative around?

andi*pandi
Aug 5, 2021, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I picked a name (Shiva Bagheri) and googled it.
First link was her Twitter. Twitter profile links to her dance studio where she teaches dance.
For money.

Edit: I also gather she’s married, and lives in Beverly Hills. Is she supporting this lifestyle by astroturfing, or is there a rather straightforward, obvious, and more likely answer as to how she’s supported?
I just duckduckgo'd her and got many articles which confirm she has a dance studio, punches people, and generally seems like an asshole. Does she do it for money, famewhoring, or because she is a true believer? I wonder how much her dance studio suffered due to pandemic. Many dance and karate studios near us had to shut down for most of the pandemic.

https://www.comicsands.com/petsmart-...651377290.html

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2021, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I've seen this "They have an IMDB page!!" thing before, and I guess I don't know what the ramifications of that are. Do you have to have previous work as an actor to have an IMDB page? Do you have to have an agent at some kind of real agency? Or can anyone create one for themselves? I'd imagine a good portion of people in LA would have an IMDB page as many of them would have work in or related to film/TV, or at least they aspired to at some point.

Is this just the left's attempt to turn the "paid actors" narrative around?
I have an IMDb page. My guess is it was created by my partner awhile back when he created a page for an old video project we made. I can check on that.

There are (larger) projects I worked on that I’m missing from, which is mildly obnoxious, but they were shit productions, so **** them.

Edit: looks like an actor who worked on the production created my page (and the page for the whole production). I get the impression a paid membership is the lynchpin.
( Last edited by subego; Aug 5, 2021 at 06:22 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2021, 06:10 PM

I wonder how much her dance studio suffered due to pandemic.

Edit: I was super cranky when I replied and I want to apologize. I should have waited until my head was screwed on more tightly. When that happens, I’ll write a better reply.

Sorry, again.
( Last edited by subego; Aug 5, 2021 at 07:15 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Aug 5, 2021, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
It's depressing to have so many enemies trying to conquer us from within. To my knowledge, there are no credible outside enemies even trying. Several ongoing attempts to screw us over, yes. But no conquest attempts.

Why are we worried about immigrants again? They only want a better life. Not to take away our right to vote.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2021, 07:39 PM

Illegal immigrants are a problem if one believes it’s a good idea to have a protectionist labor market.

Illegal immigrants also press people’s “law and order” hot button, should they have one.

OreoCookie
Aug 5, 2021, 09:08 PM

Illegal immigrants are a problem if one believes it’s a good idea to have a protectionist labor market.

Illegal immigrants also press people’s “law and order” hot button, should they have one.
I think for a large share of people, the issue isn’t illegal immigration, but immigration, period. They fear that (legal or illegal) immigration subjects them to more competition, they are afraid of losing their status because in their mind it is a zero sum game — for them to win, I have to lose. Also the cultural component is significant: immigrants in their mind change “their” culture.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2021, 06:54 AM

I was aiming to represent the more reasonable arguments.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2021, 03:25 PM

The illegal immigration issue is simply a way to create more “them” for the rank and file to hate. The people who are the most vocal against any immigration, especially from our southern border, are hardly folks whose jobs or anything else would be disturbed by lower-cost workers.

Immigration has, historically, allowed the US to reap the benefits of new Americans who have new ideas and create new products, services and thereby tons of new jobs.

But the far right wingnuts don’t really want to create new jobs. They want to keep low end workers at the low end, keep them dependent on barely enough pay to almost get by, and basically suck them dry to continue those wingnuts’ income streams.

Any fact-based review of Arizona’s votes - at this time - would conclude that NO conclusion can be reached, since too many hands have handled the actual ballots already. They are tainted by the very groups who said they were looking to help “purify” the vote.

And I suggest that if anyone has an Overstock account, you close it at once. I bought ONE thing from them, a couple of years ago. I’m not going to let them even think about me, given their glorious leader has termites in his head…

Added: Overstock doesn’t make it easy to close an account. I found some help here. There’s no link on the Overstock support page, but they seem to encourage customers text them… That’s not at all sketchy, is it? Ewwwww.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2021, 01:09 PM

My understanding of this type of labor protectionism isn’t that it’s supposed to make jobs, but instead increase demand for labor by constricting supply. The higher the demand, the more employers are willing to pay.

I also get the impression policies which claim they will increase working class wages do in fact resonate with the working class.

OreoCookie
Aug 9, 2021, 03:40 AM

My understanding of this type of labor protectionism isn’t that it’s supposed to make jobs, but instead increase demand for labor by constricting supply. The higher the demand, the more employers are willing to pay.

I also get the impression policies which claim they will increase working class wages do in fact resonate with the working class.
I think there is a difference between naming a (perceived or real) political problem and stoking people's fears to get votes.
I was aiming to represent the more reasonable arguments.
In a sense, if I were to argue any more strongly with you, I'd feel like barking up the wrong tree. If I were to talk to you, I believe, I'd have a genuine discussion about illegal immigration (or legal immigration). But I think that good faith doesn't apply to many politicians who intentionally murky the waters in order attract voters from all ends.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2021, 11:26 AM

The problem with legal versus not legal migrants is made much more challenging by the huge number of refugees from political and drug cartel oppression and violence. This oppression is on multiple levels, including keeping some areas depressed compared to others in order to control both.

For a parent to send a child through a harrowing and potentially deadly path strikes me as a desperate act. An act that says so much more about the conditions the parent is sending the child away from than how challenging it is to get from there to here.

But worst of all the complications is how freaking hard one side has worked to demonize people who want a better life by coming to America. Which my ancestors did, and (to be brutally honest) the ancestors of every single member of that side too.

America has skimmed the intellectual and motivated cream of humanity’s crop for as long as there’s been an America. It benefits the whole nation to accept these people and (again, honestly) take advantage of their brains and their willingness to work hard.

The ONLY benefit I see from casting most migrants as “bad” is that it gets sound bites that seem to scare uninformed (or more likely intentionally misinformed) people so they’ll vote for scumbags who manipulate the crap out of them on every subject.

Oooh. Did I say “scumbag” out loud? That wasn’t nice, was it…

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OreoCookie
Aug 10, 2021, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The problem with legal versus not legal migrants is made much more challenging by the huge number of refugees from political and drug cartel oppression and violence. This oppression is on multiple levels, including keeping some areas depressed compared to others in order to control both.
That’s the big issue with just labeling something illegal and then think the discussion is over. I found quite interesting that VP Harris was widely criticized by the GOP for traveling to Latin American countries first, trying to deal with the root cause, rather than the border.
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
For a parent to send a child through a harrowing and potentially deadly path strikes me as a desperate act. An act that says so much more about the conditions the parent is sending the child away from than how challenging it is to get from there to here.
That’s such a good, underappreciated thought: all parents and most non-parents should know how difficult this decision is to send your child or children by themselves to a strange lands, relying on people you know you can’t trust. Yet it gets portrayed as a cold, calculated act as if the parents were sending drugs across the border for their own gain.

Forum Links
Forum Rules