Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > thinking about becoming a vegetarian

thinking about becoming a vegetarian
tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2005, 10:35 AM

i dunno. i think this would be interesting to try. its not the whole killing animals thats making me do it, but i need to learn to eat vegetables for when i live on the lake with no farm animals to slaughter whenever we hit peak oil and get knocked back to the 18th century. have any of you tried being a vegetarian or are a vegetarian?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 10:45 AM

I like the taste of dead animal meat too much.

There's nothing like a tender, medium rare piece of steak wrapped in bacon, glazed with a mushroom and white-wine reduction -- with a dollop of butter melting on top for good measure. =)

Dadgummit I'm starving now...

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 10:48 AM

I'm pretty sure they ate meat in the 18th century. Maybe not good meat, but...

skalie
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
There's nothing like a tender, medium rare piece of steak wrapped in bacon, glazed with a mushroom and white-wine reduction -- with a dollop of butter melting on top for good measure. =)
"Carpet Bag" steaks rate, those would be the ones filled with oysters.

*drools*

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 10:52 AM

I've been a vegetarian since i was about 12, and only ate chicken before that. Never tried red meat (or pork) before. I couldn't imagine eating meat now, but I eat cheese or dairy at almost every meal, so i also couldn't imagine being vegan.

"I start fires!"

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by skalie
"Carpet Bag" steaks rate, those would be the ones filled with oysters.

*drools*
Holy freaking crap, that DOES sound good! Throw some bacon and chives and I'm all in.

CRAP, I need to go eat linch...I'm dying over here!

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by tracemhunter
i dunno. i think this would be interesting to try. its not the whole killing animals thats making me do it, but i need to learn to eat vegetables for when i live on the lake with no farm animals to slaughter whenever we hit peak oil and get knocked back to the 18th century. have any of you tried being a vegetarian or are a vegetarian?
Veggie for 20 years or so.
Just do it. Eat healthily (as you would normally do) but just remove the meat/fish content.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 12:05 PM

I've never been a full veggie, but I've spent a lot of time with veggies. I lived with a bunch of vegetarians and vegans for a while and 75% of my meals were meat free. It can be quite tasty.

Even if you don't go all the way, just cutting a lot of meat out of your diet can be a good thing.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2005, 12:29 PM

Hope you like tofu and soy milk.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 12:33 PM

Just got back from a quick lunch. It wasn't steak, but a burger from a local "mom and pop" eatery. I like them because the meat they use is their own: they raise their own cattle for the sole purpose of killing it, grinding up the meat, and making it into patties for me to eat.

Maury

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Hope you like tofu and soy milk.
mmm...

"I start fires!"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2005, 12:42 PM

Every veggie I know has a terrible immune system.

[removed oversize image --tooki]

As with anything, moderation is the key.
( Last edited by tooki; Aug 31, 2005 at 03:27 PM. )

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 12:46 PM

Tofu is tasty but soy milk is nasty stuff.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Every veggie I know has a terrible immune system.

[large chunk of flesh removed]

As with anything, moderation is the key.
My immune system is quite good, actually. Haven't gotten particularly sick in over a year, I'd say, and every time a cold has started to come on (maybe 2 or 3 times), it's gone away before it really materialized.

"I start fires!"

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 12:55 PM

Don't vegetarians have to pop pills to supplement the nutrients that only meat can provide? I don't know why they would want to go down in the food chain.

I suspect that going vegetarian could trigger some hard-to-revert changes in one's digestive tract, and lose the ability to ingest and digest meat. Pretty risky.

Isn't meat eating the main reason why cows/chicken are not extinct?

Originally Posted by ort888
I've never been a full veggie, but I've spent a lot of time with veggies. I lived with a bunch of vegetarians and vegans for a while and 75% of my meals were meat free. It can be quite tasty.
I wish 25% of my food was meat.

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 01:18 PM

Do it! Eating carcas is so prehistoric.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 01:47 PM

i class mysel' as a "carnivore with a guilt complex" - i love animals and hate to see them being badly treated. but on the other hand, if i havenae eaten meat for a week or two, i actually start to get a physical craving for it. you can't fight those old neanderthal instincts indefinitely!

anyway, according to this article, it might not be long til we can all be veggies and enjoy a nice steak too!
Scientists aim for lab-grown meat

Pork cuts could come fresh from the lab
An international research team has proposed new techniques that may lead to the mass production of meat reared not on the farm, but in the laboratory.
Developments in tissue engineering mean that cells taken from animals could be grown directly into meat in a laboratory, the researchers say.

Scientists believe the technology already exists to directly grow processed meat like a chicken nugget.

The technology could benefit both humans and the environment.

"With a single cell, you could theoretically produce the world's annual meat supply. And you could do it in a way that's better for the environment and human health.

"In the long term, this is a very feasible idea," said Jason Matheny of the University of Maryland, part of the team whose research has been published in the Tissue Engineering journal.

Growing the meat without the animal could reduce the need to keep millions of animals in cramped conditions and would lessen the damage caused by the meat production to the environment.

Laboratory-grown meat could also be healthier, proponents say.

Eating 'mush'

Tissue engineering techniques were first developed for medical use and small amounts of edible fish tissue have been grown in research conducted by Nasa.

Concerns have been raised about eating meat from cloned animals.
To industrialise the process, researchers suggest the cells could be grown on large sheets that would need to be stretched to provide the 'exercise' for the growing muscles.

"If you didn't stretch them, it would be like eating mush," said Mr Methany.

Whilst the technology to produce processed meat is here now, producing a steak or chicken breast is still quite a way off, the researchers say.

Questions

The new techniques could also provide a dilemma for vegetarians.

Some may feel able to eat meat that has been grown without an animal being harmed.

Others feel that question marks remain about the way the cells would be taken from animals.

"It won't appeal to someone who gave up meat because they think it's morally wrong to eat flesh or someone who doesn't want to eat anything unnatural," Kerry Bennett of the UK Vegetarian Society told the Guardian newspaper.

How regulators might react is also unclear.

The US Food and Drug Administration has asked companies not to market any products that involve cloned animals until their safety has been evaluated.
PS who's the **** who posted the huge image, so we all have to scroll horizontally to read the feckin' thread?

historylme
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 02:03 PM

Cut back untill you don't really eat it. I been a vegie for 9 years now, I don't like the taste of meat.

Learn how to eat properly... I learned the hard way. Top Ramen can only do so much, and after a few days, you develop a constant headache.
( Last edited by historylme; Aug 31, 2005 at 02:35 PM. )

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 02:03 PM

Ach! I was beaten to the lab-grown meat topic by one post! Anyway, here's one vegetarian who thinks it a brilliant idea!

Funny fact: I can't remember why I became a vegetarian, but I'm sticking with it for now, because I think animals can suffer and I think the easiest way to reduce the amount of animal suffering for which I'm directly responsible is to stop eating meat.

I don't pretend to be perfect in the suffering-reduction regard, but I think anyone who does is full of shiznit. At any rate, I would be okay with the idea of having some meat again if I knew it was humanely killed, but I don't know that I'll actually go through with it. As someone mentioned above, I think there's a decent chance I've gotten to the point where eating meat would make me violently ill.

As far as the nutrition thing goes: it's probably a good idea to take supplements. It's certainly possible to get your complete nutritional needs without meat, but contrary to what some vegetarian propagandists would have you believe, it's not easy. If you don't want to have to constantly think about whether most of your meals have a decent amount of B12, iron, omega-3 fatty acids, just pop some multivitamins. Especially if you're vegan..

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
.... Especially if you're vegan..
ah! - "veganism" - now there's an interesting one. i've a mate who's vegan and, while i admire the determination to do the "not using anything that comes from animals" completely, i keep asking him "where do you draw the line?" i mean, he won't drink milk, coz it comes from a cow [even tho' the cow isn't "harmed" in any way]. he wouldnae eat shellfish or anything like that, as he considers them living creatures, yet he seems to have no problem with drinking booze or eating bread, which has been produced at the cost of millions of innocent yeast lives. neither, i suspect, would he think twice about swatting a fly which was bothering him. so, again, where do you draw the line?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by m a d r a
ah! - "veganism" - now there's an interesting one. i've a mate who's vegan and, while i admire the determination to do the "not using anything that comes from animals" completely, i keep asking him "where do you draw the line?" i mean, he won't drink milk, coz it comes from a cow [even tho' the cow isn't "harmed" in any way]. he wouldnae eat shellfish or anything like that, as he considers them living creatures, yet he seems to have no problem with drinking booze or eating bread, which has been produced at the cost of millions of innocent yeast lives. neither, i suspect, would he think twice about swatting a fly which was bothering him. so, again, where do you draw the line?
we all draw the line somewhere. this is the same place the other thread was heading. So if they can never truly end suffering/live up to some insane notion of being vegetarian, they shouldn't do anything at all?

hell, even if i squat naked in a field i might be infringing on some wild animals space.

ooh, railhead. yes. over here too. youre a meat eater. we get it. thank you.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2005, 04:32 PM

I wanted to be a vegetarian for a long time, so one day I just challenged myself to see how long I could go without eating meat. Over 5 years now and healthy as ever.

tracemhunter  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2005, 05:03 PM

o, scratch that idea. i want a pepperoni pizza right now from mazzios . forget becoming a vegetarian. if i could delete this thread i would.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 05:19 PM

you know you can just eat more vegetables and fruits in your diet and still eat meat. eat a salad with that pizza or get it with mushrooms.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 31, 2005, 06:56 PM

If my doctor told me I was dying and I must cut out all meat and become a vegetarian, I might just consider it, but I certainly wouldn't choose to become a vegetarian based upon some ridiculous fairytale regarding some impending doomsday scenario. Peak oil --->>> knocked back to 18th Century ?

It's good that these people are around. Now that all of the millenium morons are gone, somebody has to fill their place.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2005, 07:07 PM

And miss this? Are you mad?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 08:45 PM

When I was 11 years old, my school went on a science trip to a chicken processing plant. I have never eaten an animal again, 26 years strong, I get sick maybe once a year, even then it is only a day or two.

I live in a city where they eat everything, and I mean everything! Being a vegetarian here is no easy task. like in the UK or North America where you have many choices for laco-vegetarians like myself.

People tend to forget that 40% of the human population are vegetarians anyway. We (humans) are herbivores (long intestines, no fangs or claws) not carnivores (short intestines, claws and or fangs). Most of the ancient cultures (Chinese, Japanese, Mongolians) are lactose intolerant, so consuming dairy products is a very recent event, and many still live very happily in the same way for many thousands of years.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2005, 08:57 PM

I was thinking of being gay once, but then I realized that I liked women too much and didn`t like men at all.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2005, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
And miss this? Are you mad?
Ahh.. That is what I thought it was.. Kinda looks like tuna.

Personally, I stay away from marine mammals.

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2005, 09:30 PM

Whatever you do, if you do decide to go vegetarian (by what ever definition yo use) don't post it here, because you'll get a bunch of (members) here jumping down your throat calling you a hypocrite because you wear shoes or drive a car or something.

meelk
Baninated
Sep 1, 2005, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by tracemhunter
I'm not a veggie, but I havent eaten beef in over 5 years. I'm kind of working myself up to no meat. I went cold turkey (haha!) on beef and never looked back. Seriously, you will never miss it. I would suggest transitioning like I'm doing rather than just becoming a veggie overnight.

Warung
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 02:41 AM

I've been a vegetarian for 6 years now, and I don't regret it one bit. There is very large variety of very tasty veg. food out there I had never heard of when I was still eating meat etc.

At first it might be a little bit tough having to do without your favorite meat dishes, but once you are passed that stage, you'll actually come to appreciate the benefits that come with a vegetarian diet.

What is important, is that you start thinking about food in a different way, because you can't just eat the fries and the salad, and skip the burger. It's not going to be easy switching to a veg. lifestyle in a "meat-centric" society. But things are changing, and more and more restaurants are including vegetarian menus etc.

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2005, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8
People tend to forget that 40% of the human population are vegetarians anyway. We (humans) are herbivores (long intestines, no fangs or claws) not carnivores (short intestines, claws and or fangs). Most of the ancient cultures (Chinese, Japanese, Mongolians) are lactose intolerant, so consuming dairy products is a very recent event, and many still live very happily in the same way for many thousands of years.
Wrong. We are omnivores. And where did you get that number from?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2005, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab
Ahh.. That is what I thought it was.. Kinda looks like tuna.

Personally, I stay away from marine mammals.

Forum Links
Forum Rules