Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 2nd Gen iPod dead. Suggestions?

2nd Gen iPod dead. Suggestions?
skyman
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 11:07 AM

My 20Gig 2nd generation iPod hard drive died. Not to mention the batt life was terrible.

Yes, I forgot to fill out the claim form and it is out of warrantee.

Will Apple replace it with a new video iPod or will they just replace the bad components and charge me an arm and a leg?

Or do I throw it in the garbage?

Any suggestions?

Thanks...
( Last edited by skyman; Jun 18, 2006 at 04:01 PM. )
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

BWhaler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2006, 03:05 PM

Time to buy a new one.

Apple will not replace it or replace the components for free. And the cost isn't worth it.

Your 2nd Gen had a great run. Years of joy. Time to put it to rest and get the latest and greatest...

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by skyman
Any suggestions?

Thanks...
Yeah, eBay it.

skyman  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by BWhaler
Time to buy a new one.

Apple will not replace it or replace the components for free. And the cost isn't worth it.

Your 2nd Gen had a great run. Years of joy. Time to put it to rest and get the latest and greatest...
Alas, so true... so true...

skyman  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
Yeah, eBay it.
And who would buy a dead iPod?

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2006, 04:03 PM

And who would buy a dead iPod?
You'd be surprised. Hackers, people scavenging for parts, people wanting to blow props up for a movie, etc. Maybe someone is looking for an uncracked LCD screen?

skyman  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
You'd be surprised. Hackers, people scavenging for parts, people wanting to blow props up for a movie, etc. Maybe someone is looking for an uncracked LCD screen?
The Apple Store will give me a 10% discount of the price of a new iPod. Which would be about a $30 savings.

I don't think it is worth the time to sell it on eBay.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2006, 08:10 PM

My 20Gig 2nd generation iPod hard drive died. Not to mention the batt life was terrible.

Yes, I forgot to fill out the claim form and it is out of warrantee.

Will Apple replace it with a new video iPod or will they just replace the bad components and charge me an arm and a leg?

Or do I throw it in the garbage?

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

DO NOT THROW it in the trash. That LiON battery is not something you want to bury. Consider the future.

For what it is worth, get a new one and keep the old iPod as an external harddrive for backups.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2006, 10:54 PM

Just for future reference- Apple has a battery replacement program for ~$80. what is so great about the program, as opposed to doing it yourself for less money, is that Apple sends you a replacement iPod, not your old one. The replacement is an ipod that looks like new and comes with a short warranty. Had you sent it in to Apple when you only had the battery problems, you would have gotten a refreshed 2g or something better back. It is kind of like retroactive apple care.

You can't send it back with an obvious malfunction like a dead hard drive or broken screen and expect a replacement but if the problem is not so obvious, like my 4G ipod that despite a battery replacement wtill would not hold a long charge, apple assumes it is being exchanged for a bad battery and will send you another iPod.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by robby818
Just for future reference- Apple has a battery replacement program for ~$80. what is so great about the program, as opposed to doing it yourself for less money, is that Apple sends you a replacement iPod, not your old one. The replacement is an ipod that looks like new and comes with a short warranty. Had you sent it in to Apple when you only had the battery problems, you would have gotten a refreshed 2g or something better back. It is kind of like retroactive apple care.

You can't send it back with an obvious malfunction like a dead hard drive or broken screen and expect a replacement but if the problem is not so obvious, like my 4G ipod that despite a battery replacement wtill would not hold a long charge, apple assumes it is being exchanged for a bad battery and will send you another iPod.
That isn't necessarily a good thing. I wouldn't want to send in my iPod only to get another machine with an unknown history, short warranty or no....unless it was the ugly 3rd gen model

I don't think I would ever give up a 1st or 2nd gen model...too much like a tank..

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2006, 11:29 AM

Yeah, the 2G is a great iPod. Great battery life. Unfortunately, I've been spoiled by the smaller lighter flash based ipods so I just want a larger capacity nano, no more hard drive based players for me...

Getting back a different ipod has more upsides than down. The ones that come back from Apple are so pristine, its pretty amazing. Also I think if you send in a 2G you'll get a 2G back. You may get back a higher capacity 2G model, but Apple will not send you a 3G.

mBurns
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by lamewing
That isn't necessarily a good thing. I wouldn't want to send in my iPod only to get another machine with an unknown history, short warranty or no....unless it was the ugly 3rd gen model

I don't think I would ever give up a 1st or 2nd gen model...too much like a tank..

I have a 3rd gen iPod. I love the buttons and would not give it up for one of the new iPods. The only thing I like about the new iPods is that they have a color screen which is nice!
MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz CD | 100 Gb HD | 2 Gb RAM | 10.4
iBook Clamshell | 466 Mhz | 60 Gb HD | 576 Mb RAM | 10.4

Forum Links
Forum Rules