Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need external SATA drive for MBP?

Need external SATA drive for MBP?
skyman
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2006, 01:57 PM

I just bought a replacement SATA hard drive for my MBP and I want to use the old SATA drive as an external drive for backup.

Can anyone recommend a couple good SATA firewire cases for my old SATA drive?

Thanks!
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 16, 2006, 09:49 PM

I've been happy over the years with purchases from Other World Computing.

This is their offering for 2.5 inch SATA drive to firewire interface enclosure:

OWC Mercury On-The-Go 2.5" FW800/USB2.0 Encl... (MSTG800U2) at OWC

It is clear plastic, bus powered, sports the Oxford924 chipset and an aluminum heatsink, and comes with a nice carrying case as well.

I have the older ATA to firewire 400 (Oxford911) version of this enclosure and have found it rugged and reliable, and a good performer with my Hitachi Travelstar 7200 rpm drive. It came with a sturdy leather case and a (thoughtfully) short firewire cable, as well as an AC adapter you won't need. Installation was straight forward.

I am guessing, there are cheaper enclosures. But if you don't mind spending modestly more for quality, OWC won't disappoint.

Googling for alternatives, I found these two, although not any cheaper:

WiebeTech ToughTech Mini FW 800/USB 2.5 SATA Drive Enclosure from Small Dog Electronics
2.5" SATA HDD to a USB 2.0 and FireWire 800/400 Oxford 924 Chip

And this thread which seems to say there arent bargains for the enclosure you need

Reasonably priced 2.5" SATA firewire enclosures? - Topic Powered by eve community
( Last edited by rjt1000; Dec 16, 2006 at 10:05 PM. Reason: more info)

jeebus
Dec 19, 2006, 07:49 PM

Instead of getting a firewire enclosure I'm pretty sure you could get an eSATA enclosure. Then just get a cheap eSATA expresscard and your external drive will be accessed as quickly as your internal drive. The firewire bridge creates quite a bottleneck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules