Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help! Dead Hard Drive

Help! Dead Hard Drive
Rangers4me
Jan 1, 2007, 10:58 AM

I don't know how it happened, but all of the sudden the harddrive started clicking and the computer rebooted and now my powerbook won't recognize the harddrive (blinking question mark).

I first tried booting into safemode (shift on boot), no luck.
I then tried booting to applejack, just stays on a blank white screen on boot.
I then tried booting to the OS X CD (holding down c on boot), it won't recognize it.
I then tried accessing the CD again by holding option on boot, no go.
I then bought disk warrior and tried to boot to the cd, but it won't recognize it.

Is the next step freezing the harddrive or are there some other secrets I can try?

Thanks!

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2007, 11:08 AM

Oh, boy.
Let me start by wishing you "good luck in the new year" you are going to need it...
Sounds like your drive is dead, but that isn't a big deal because you have a full back up of it, right?!

If you do the freezer trick, or just take it out and give it a good whack to free the drive head, make sure that when you get everything re-installed, that you have a backup drive or FireWire target machine ready.

If you reboot with out a back up drive you are courting disaster, you will get one and only one chance to recover your data before the drive drops dead again.

skyman
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2007, 03:53 PM

If you can't boot off the CD then you have more than just a hard drive problem. Sounds like you have a logic board problem as well.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

skyman
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post

If you do the freezer trick, or just take it out and give it a good whack to free the drive head, make sure that when you get everything re-installed, that you have a backup drive or FireWire target machine ready.
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

sielo_X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 07:54 PM

I am having the exact same problems. If I have to buy a new hard drive, which would be the best option? I don't even know the specs to my own Powerbook. Hmm... Can anyone help me find out? Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules