Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Is here!

iPhone Is here! (Page 4)
skyman
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Cingular's iPhone plans will almost certainly all include unlimited data usage.
My guess is for a decent calling plan with internet connectivity, at a min $99.00 for the basic plan. That's $1,200.00 per year. Plus $500 for the phone.

10 million subscribers........... NOT!
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

skyman
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by k2director View Post
You have to stop thinking of this as *just* a phone. It really is, as Steve said, a digital lifestyle device. Would I pay $500/$600 for just a phone? No way, but the iPhone is in a whole different category. It's one device that I can carry around to do just about everything I could want. Entertainment, communications, information gathering, etc. That's easily worth $500-$600 to me.
Yes, but is it worth $1,200 / Year for the internet connectivity package?

The iPhone, like the original iPod, is going to appeal to a small subset of people initially. They'll dig the idea of having so much more than a phone in a single device, while other people will say "that's cool, but too expensive." But over the next couple of years, the price will go down, and the capabilities will go up, and more and more people will start to consider it in a new light.

It happened with the iPod, and I think it's going to happen with the iPhone too....
Now this makes sense and will most likely be the path to success.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by skyman View Post
My guess is for a decent calling plan with internet connectivity, at a min $99.00 for the basic plan. That's $1,200.00 per year. Plus $500 for the phone.
That guess is just wild (and negative) speculation, though. A quick Google search revealed some discussion suggesting existing data users are paying nothing like that.

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=228080

Those forum posts suggests the most anyone is paying is $60/mth for unlimited data, a "smartphone plan" for $45, and restricted plans even lower.

Someone at the bottom of the page who claims to work for Cingular says there is even a $30/mth unlimited data plan.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2007, 12:54 AM

Yes, I don't think existing Cingular smartphone customers are paying anywhere near $99 a month, but the bottom line is that Cingular had better not get too greedy with the pricing on this thing, because even I would balk at paying ~$99 a month. I don't really make enough calls to make it worthwhile. I think $60 is about my limit.

belfast-biker
Jan 14, 2007, 04:57 PM

Does this thing have a flash for the camera?

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2007, 05:48 PM

I got a question:

did the next iPod will be like the iPhone without the Phone? because I will buy it in no time!
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2007, 02:00 PM

The next goal for the iPhone should be iTunes. With the OSX interface, it seems only natural to buy music and videos off the ITMS otherwise you ignore an entire group of people who have no computer.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2007, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by belfast-biker View Post
Does this thing have a flash for the camera?
Doesn't seem like it.

Originally Posted by anthology123 View Post
The next goal for the iPhone should be iTunes. With the OSX interface, it seems only natural to buy music and videos off the ITMS otherwise you ignore an entire group of people who have no computer.
I think downloading music directly to the phone may be problematic, mostly because of the cellular carriers (Cingular at the moment). They aren't going to want people to use their wireless bandwidth for downloading music or (heaven forbid) videos, and somewhere in the back of their mind they probably still want to try and charge $3 a song, as they do on other phones. But yeah, it would be very cool to be able to listen to previews from iTunes anywhere, even if you didn't buy them right off the phone.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2007, 02:30 PM

For an unlimited plan of data, its $20 a month. For 900 minutes (which isn't even the cheapest) its 49.99. So that's 70 bucks, not 100.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2007, 02:34 PM

The new revolutionary phone from apple ..THE ICRAP.

is everything the market have had for years just with diffrent names and pretty little icons
straight from your favorite company CRAPPLE.

Where we charge you premium for pretty gadgets.
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2007, 02:54 PM

So we can sign you up for one then?

belfast-biker
Jan 16, 2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Javizun View Post
is everything the market have had for years just with diffrent names and pretty little icons
straight from your favorite company CRAPPLE.

Jav, why do you hate evolution?

mergemedia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2007, 03:35 AM

The iPhone is totally sexy, and I'd have one today if they were available. word on the street is cingular is going to have special pricing for the iPhone, so todays web prices should be meaningless.

I'm currently with verizon wireless, but I'll be switching over to cingular the moment the iPhone hits the market.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 19, 2007, 05:12 AM

I just wish Cingular would announce their prices. It would allow me to make an educated decision about whether to wait for the iPhone or not.

mergemedia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2007, 05:23 PM

I agree. It's clear cingular is in bed with apple behind the scenes on this deal. If I was cingular, I'd have announced the pricing at the same time apple announced the iphone and it's pricing. In fact, I'd have sent a Cingular rep to talk up the network and plan during the mac expo keynote., like google did. The phone is so sexy though, I'd gladly pay $100 a month for it. A 'smartphone' from any current network costs about the same, but has way less features than iPhone.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2007, 01:21 PM

ya my sister and i are switching from verison as well, and im sure there are special deals for data plans coming.

chrisorellana
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic View Post
imn assuming if you set up a network with your computers via wifi. if not then it is possible to sync via bluetooth, although it might be somehwhat slow if your doing anything other then email, notes, and contacts, etc. i sync my ppc-6700 wirelessly to my mac via bluetooth.
I can't wait for the I-phone either, but I write to know how you sync the 6700 via bluetooth to your mac. I have been at this for hours and you are the first sign of hope.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules