Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New Hard Drive install - Clone OR Install OSX and Migrate?

New Hard Drive install - Clone OR Install OSX and Migrate?
ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2010, 04:12 PM

I'm about to install a new hard drive into my Macbook and transfer all the files/data and It seems there are two distinct routes I could go:

A) Clone the new drive from the old internal in my Macbook using Disk Utility, CCC, etc, then swap the drives.

or

B) Install the new drive into my MacBook, install OS X from DVD, and then migrate from the old drive using the Migration Assistant.

Is one method better/easier/less likely to screw up over the other? Is there an advantage to doing a "fresh install", Method B)? What are the pros and cons of each?

I've done a ton of reading on this subject but have not found anything that addresses the distinction between the two methods, ie when to do one over the other. Method A), clone and swap, seems to be advised more on the internet than B).

Many thanks in advance for pointing me on the best path.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2010, 04:18 PM

I don't think it matters.

Cloning is much less of an ordeal because you don't have to take care not to touch any of the transferred data until the swathes of updates have been applied through Software Update.

It's just Install - Clone - Done.

FWIW, CCC uses the same protocol as Disk Utility, except that it adds a whole bunch of gunk for incremental updates, etc.

Just use DU.

Cold Warrior
Aug 29, 2010, 04:20 PM

clone. Big time saver.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2010, 04:27 PM

Thank you, thank you both for the fast response.

Appreciate hearing from two voices of experience
on this forum.

'a cloning I will go, then!

Forum Links
Forum Rules