Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CNN: Some people think The Simpsons is still funny

CNN: Some people think The Simpsons is still funny
Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 04:30 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...eut/index.html

The Simpsons died 5 years ago. Sad, but true.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2003, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
Untrue, in my opinion. Some of the recent episodes haven't been great, but it's still better than most other crap on TV.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2003, 04:35 PM

Na, they had a bad bad season a few years ago but they bounced back and are as funny as ever. The ratings are also higher then ever.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2003, 04:37 PM

Definately bounced back.

Trivia: What do homers coworkers/pals Lenny and Carl stand for? (hint, think history, their names, and what they make references too... it's real obvious... Seen more than 3 episodes after graduating highschool with a GED and your sure to get it.... lets see who really watches, and went to High School... and who didn't.)

Thrax
Banned
Jan 29, 2003, 04:38 PM

Five years ago? I thought it died in 1994.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2003, 04:48 PM

Dead? No way. Name something that's funnier on TV today. That's right, nothing. The Simpsons is the only thing on TV today worth watching. Period.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2003, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
Dead? No way. Name something that's funnier on TV today. That's right, nothing. The Simpsons is the only thing on TV today worth watching. Period.
I agree that and about 2 other shows. Malcom in the Middle and American Idol.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2003, 05:07 PM

well there was futurama.... but I digress.

Too Much Coffee Woman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2003, 05:13 PM

i like it still

there are some good shows i like that are good because i feel comfy with them. shows like simpsons, frasier, friends and etc.

what do you suppose they do? cancel it? and replace it with what? sorry, i prefer the simpsons.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
American Idol.
?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Thrax
Banned
Jan 29, 2003, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
?
Unintentionally funny.

And no, I don't think that The Simpsons is funny, unintentionally or intentionally, anymore.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2003, 05:36 PM

King of the Hill & Family Guy are the only shows that are at least as funny as the new Simpsons episodes (not older Simpsons).

The only other show that I think is above being slightly amusing (as opposed to really funny) is Scrubs. It's too sentimental to be great, but it's very odd and quirky in a way that I think is quite entertaining.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
Definately bounced back.

Trivia: What do homers coworkers/pals Lenny and Carl stand for? (hint, think history, their names, and what they make references too... it's real obvious... Seen more than 3 episodes after graduating highschool with a GED and your sure to get it.... lets see who really watches, and went to High School... and who didn't.)
I have a Masters degree, have seen just about every ep made up to '98 at least three times each by now and I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. So put that in your pipe and smoke it

Oh yeah, and I dig Scrubs too. More of a Dramedy, yes, but entertaining when in comedy mode.

suhail
Senior User
Jan 29, 2003, 05:50 PM

I've killed my T.V. 5 months ago.
I don't miss it at all, except for the Discovery Channel.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2003, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Gene Jockey:
I have a Masters degree, have seen just about every ep made up to '98 at least three times each by now and I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. So put that in your pipe and smoke it

Oh yeah, and I dig Scrubs too. More of a Dramedy, yes, but entertaining when in comedy mode.
Lenny = Lenin
Carl = Carl Marx

Listen to how they talk in comparison to Homer, makes it real obvious.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
Lenny = Lenin
Carl = Carl Marx

Listen to how they talk in comparison to Homer, makes it real obvious.

Al Jean disagrees with you:

Q: This book, The Simpsons and Philosophy, raises a question that I wanted to run by you. Lenny and Carl: Lenin and Marx?
A: Uh, no. [Pause.] That's my answer.
http://www.fortune.com/fortune/artic...367376,00.html

Maybe I'll have a look at that book, though. Because really, I think of Lenny defending the Egg Council and going "Ah, Nuts". Hardly a New Soviet Man

-J

talisker
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 06:00 PM

I still think the Simpsons is funny, but I don't think the Simpsons is still funny.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2003, 06:00 PM

Fox had a bunch of shows funnier than the Simpsons; trouble is they cancelled all of them. Family Guy and Futurama were way better. Malcolm in the Middle still is, even though the quality there is starting to fall off. Hell, I laughed more at Greg the Bunny and the live action Tick than at most recent Simpsons episodes. And if you have cable, Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block is a hell of a lot fresher and more original--not to mention funnier.

BTW, I too have a Master's Degree, have seen every episode since the pilot, and I have no idea what macvillage is talking about.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Ozmodiar  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
I still think the Simpsons is funny, but I don't think the Simpsons is still funny.
No more perfect sentiment on The Simpsons has ever been expressed.

I don't think it's bounced back yet; it was hilarious back in the day, but now it's played. I knew it was dead when Marge made a reference to Courtney Cox-Arquette.

When it went on the four-year run of just Homer episodes with 10 different celebrity guest voices per episode, I stopped making time for it. I watch it if I'm not busy on Sunday nights, but it doesn't have priority any more.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2003, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:

Fox had a bunch of shows funnier than the Simpsons; trouble is they cancelled all of them. Family Guy and Futurama were way better. Malcolm in the Middle still is, even though the quality there is starting to fall off. Hell, I laughed more at Greg the Bunny and the live action Tick than at most recent Simpsons episodes. And if you have cable, Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block is a hell of a lot fresher and more original--not to mention funnier.

BTW, I too have a Master's Degree, have seen every episode since the pilot, and I have no idea what macvillage is talking about.
Ehh.. Family Guy was OK (but I couldn't get passed the obvious ripoff of The Simpsons). I'll give you Futurama, was sad to see it go. Malcolm was funny the first season, now it's all played out. They are bringing in another baby for gods sake! I think they just jumped the shark. But Greg the Bunny?? You maybe laughed more AT it than WITH it. The Tick was great. I miss that show.

And yes, Adult Swim rules all funny animated shows. I don't have Cartoon Network anymore, so I'm bummed.

So let me rephrase: I still don't see anything that is on network TV today that is funnier than The Simpsons.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:

Fox had a bunch of shows funnier than the Simpsons; trouble is they cancelled all of them. Family Guy and Futurama were way better.
Family Guy was better... and real cheap to produce (something like 1.1 mil/episode, which for an animated series is dirt cheap).

Problem was it moved around to much, and was hard for people to follow. The various times slots didn't allow for it to get the ratings it needed to survive... Was Fox's fault, not the shows.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2003, 07:30 PM

But Greg the Bunny?? You maybe laughed more AT it than WITH it.
"Blah!"

Can't help it ... always got me going.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2003, 07:43 PM

It's funnier than seinfield and some of the other useless crap out there (practically every 'sitcom' in the past 5 years has been crap)
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 29, 2003, 08:38 PM

They have not died at all! The Simpsons are simply evolving, along the evolution of American culture, i mean, devolution

If you take a look at the content of recent episodes (last few years). It is visible, that the themes are simply reflecting the current issues on the public spectrum. Take the Internet for example, The Simpsons have covered that particular subject with poise. The entertainment and marketing industries have been changing as fast as ever, and The Simpsons is right there, with fresh jokes regarding greed and never ending stupidity. As for the writers being more adventurous then in previous seasons, I say it's better! Simpsons Forever.. and Beyond forever!

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2003, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Cubeoid:
They have not died at all! The Simpsons are simply evolving, along the evolution of American culture, i mean, devolution

If you take a look at the content of recent episodes (last few years). It is visible, that the themes are simply reflecting the current issues on the public spectrum. Take the Internet for example, The Simpsons have covered that particular subject with poise. The entertainment and marketing industries have been changing as fast as ever, and The Simpsons is right there, with fresh jokes regarding greed and never ending stupidity. As for the writers being more adventurous then in previous seasons, I say it's better! Simpsons Forever.. and Beyond forever!
It's also becoming more self-aware. Lots of inside jokes and even parodies of themselves.

For example, the ongoing jokes and hints about the fact the Homer never goes to work any more.

Or when they purposely create the least probably scenario and make fun of themselves for doing it. Remember the episode where they go to Africa and the whole thing starts with a Grocery Bagger's strike?

Or the episode with the Tennis court. The whole setup about how they end up with a Tennis court is as much of a joke as anything else. In fact, I even think Marge makes some comment about "how'd we get to this?".

They even seem to be aware of their own advertising. The teasers that Fox shows for upcoming epidsodes ("...sunday on an all new Simpson...") usually get turned in on themselves at some point in the episode.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2003, 09:08 PM

http://www.cnn.com/POLL/results/339191.html

simpson's forever.

if i can't have my futurama...don't freakin touch my simpsons. biatch.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 29, 2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
It's also becoming more self-aware. Lots of inside jokes and even parodies of themselves.

For example, the ongoing jokes and hints about the fact the Homer never goes to work any more.

Or when they purposely create the least probably scenario and make fun of themselves for doing it. Remember the episode where they go to Africa and the whole thing starts with a Grocery Bagger's strike?

Or the episode with the Tennis court. The whole setup about how they end up with a Tennis court is as much of a joke as anything else. In fact, I even think Marge makes some comment about "how'd we get to this?".

They even seem to be aware of their own advertising. The teasers that Fox shows for upcoming epidsodes ("...sunday on an all new Simpson...") usually get turned in on themselves at some point in the episode.
Exactly, the evolution through the life of the series, great examples! What comes to mind for me is the now common FOX bashing, The Simpsons watch FOX pretty much all the time

Classic moments:

TV: Next on FOX.. "When Animals Attack Magicians!"
Lisa: Mr Blackheart, are you an ivory dealer?
Blackheart: I've had a lot of jobs, seal clubber, whale hunter, president of the FOX network, and like most..yea I've done a little ivory
Marge: ..and where is all the liquor coming from?
Homer: It doesn't have to make sense Marge, it's a party!

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 11:59 PM

Wow nobody got the Lenin and Marx reference right away? And many of you have Masters degrees?!?

Wow chock one up for us dumb, HS diploma carrying, half way to an associates degree at age 34 schlubs

MikeM

machine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2003, 12:17 AM

I don't have cable tv, so I don't watch tv anymore, but the last show I was hooked on was Invader Zim. I know it was cancelled but maybe they still run it?
"Zim:Gir, why is there bacon in the soap?!?
Gir: I made it myseeelf!!!"

PAC-Rat
Jan 30, 2003, 12:35 AM

The show has degraded since its beginnings. Just look at Homer: He started out as an incompetent yet semi-caring father. Now he's just a crazy idiot.
Still better than other stuff on the tele.

No, it's not bad, but it's not great either. And in your heart you kind of know that although it sounds all right, it's actually just ...
400MHz PM G4 (Yikes!)
700MHz iBook G3 (16 VRAM)

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2003, 12:37 AM

at this point....

i kind of see it as a game. let that show go on for like 20 years just to see that happen

i would not mind seeing what the show ecolves to later on

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2003, 01:22 AM

The Simpsons is the television show equivalent of the girlfriend/boyfriend who was perfect for you, and you loved for years and years, getting each other's jokes, finishing the other's sentences, and laughing and loving for a long, long, time, and then they give you syphillis because they ****ed someone else.

The Simpsons suck donkey ass, and haven't been funny except in a suburban idiot kind of way in years. Period. **** the simpsons, **** fox. **** them in their stupid asses.

Ozmodiar  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2003, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by The Jackalope:
The Simpsons is the television show equivalent of the girlfriend/boyfriend who was perfect for you, and you loved for years and years, getting each other's jokes, finishing the other's sentences, and laughing and loving for a long, long, time, and then they give you syphillis because they ****ed someone else.
<Costanza>That was beautiful</Costanza>

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2003, 03:58 AM

Despite what most of you think, many people still watch the Simpsons, because it's always been a fun show to watch. That's why it's still on that air.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2003, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...eut/index.html

I think it's more about 3 years, somewhere in the 11th season it became crap.

SomeToast
Senior User
Jan 30, 2003, 06:11 AM

I still find it entertaining, and every so often, they'll put out an episode that stands up to the early years -- like the one in season 13 where Lisa goes to college and Bart gets the "Panda virus" and spends the week in a plastic bubble.

<Krusty>
Laziness is counterrevolutionary! Huahahaha! Questions are decadent! Huahahaha! Fast hands mean less whipping! Huahahaha!
</Krusty>

And while the recent clip show did suck, it was almost worth the price of admission for the "We Didn't Start The Fire" parody at the end.

It's good to have Futurama and Home Movies on five times a week now, though. The TiVo is happy. I am happy.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2003, 05:40 PM

I think it is still funny. It slumped for a while, but it has been great since Al Jean took over as showrunner.

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2003, 06:28 PM

I don't laugh at Friends, Frashier, etc. They're not funny. But the Simpsons make me laugh every time. I don't know why or how, but it makes me laugh.

One of my favorite (not the exact wording)

Burns: I know what the 8th Wonder of the World will be!

Homer: umm, a sober Irishman?

Cracks me up every time.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Jan 30, 2003, 06:37 PM

Family Guy > *

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2003, 07:00 PM

I havent seen The Simpsons for ages Even though it's on (almost constantly, 2 episodes a week day, 4 on sunday) on UK satellite TV.

I wish SKY (UK FOX) would put on compleate runs of new episodes instead of dispersing them among years old repeats (i.e. Homer v's the volcano & The one where Homer has a heart attack etc).
You can't remember to watch a show where almost every week it's an epiode you have seen perhaps 50 times just in case they show a new one.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 30, 2003, 07:14 PM

The silent beauty of The Simpsons is that each person can appreciate the show in their own way. From children to older people, as well as the many levels of humor and human nature (Jimmy ) The appeal is universal. On many occasions each time I see an previous episode, I notice something new.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2003, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by rampant:
Family Guy > *

Damn Right.

FAMILY GUY DVDs

and the simpsons still rules

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2003, 09:52 PM

How come bumping a thread which is about 2 mons old?

Ozmodiar  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
How come bumping a thread which is about 2 mons old?
Why the hell not?

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 11:28 PM

I've been digging South Park mostly lately, the new ones are great. Watching it right now in-fact. I've kinda given up on FUX errr I mean FOX since they cancelled the show that should have replaced the Simpsons, namely Futurama.

Anyway The Simpsons may or may not still be funny, but I think it's time to end the damn show already.

MikeM

nforcer
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 12:51 AM

My thoughts on the state of the Simpsons:

Any Simpsons episode involving a major guest role, specifically any musical talent, is just a sucky, waste of your time promotional plug for the band.

They've rode the wave of Homer's stupidity far too long, and need to come up with some fresh ideas for humor.

There is the occaisional episode that's really funny, but the rate at which the decent episodes are appearing is no where near the rate at which the witty episodes appeared when the show was in its prime.
-----
Too bad Fox isn't going to bring back a really funny show like Family Guy. That was just pure genius. But they gave it a death timeslot and expected it to perform.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2003, 02:11 AM

The simpsons are the new family guy... and it sucks! Gahh the old ones used to have humor that while it was sometimes dumb or something it still had a REAL point. Not all but you got some really good jokes. Now it's homer makes a joke about sex, homer strangles bart, lisa says that shes' sad to be smart with a dumb dad, homer says something about sex, marge says something about sex, a random character says something about sex, mayor quimby is sceen running somewhere in a bath robe, homer says something about sexy, bart says something about sex, they have a guest star... and it's just so freakin perdicatable!

I've stopped watching the simpsons.. the new plots never make sense, I can't count the number of times they've done dumb Mr. Burns looses the plant episodes, I mean he's lost it and got it back how many times?!

It's just gotten to be dumb... early maclcom in the middle was funny, family guy was funny but it was to vulgar for my tastes Brian veiwing "barely legal dog porn" in Jail in that one eppisode, and the constant Peter's horney aspect... it was just a more vulgar simpsons with more cut screen type jokes... not to mention Chris and Megs were just dumb characters. King of the Hill is moronic...

The only cartoons I have found funny lately were Clone High, Spie Guys and Under Grads... even then... I'm just getting soo sick of the single target that most stations are going after.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2003, 02:39 AM

I heard that they talk about sex on the Simpsons, now.

hayesk
Mar 27, 2003, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by MikeM33:
Wow nobody got the Lenin and Marx reference right away? And many of you have Masters degrees?!?

Wow chock one up for us dumb, HS diploma carrying, half way to an associates degree at age 34 schlubs
Or maybe it's because that reference is BS. Have you read the related posts above?

Anyway, for those mourning the loss of Futurama, season 1 just came out on DVD. Picked up my copy two days ago.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 10:03 AM

Rule of thumb :

The episodes in which they kiss ass, namely the ones with celebreties in it, suck. All the other ones are funny.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Forum Links
Forum Rules