Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > how the hell do students afford health insurance?

how the hell do students afford health insurance?
imaxxedout
Banned
Feb 8, 2003, 07:19 PM

Alright, I'm getting hitched this summer, but... sweet JESUS, how the **** are you supposed to pay for health insurance as a student?!?!?! I mean, the yearly cost, at a normal 250 deductable, is 2300 bucks. Cheapest I've found with a 1000 deduct is 1800.

good lord!!!!!!!!

Anyone have any tips?

- Ca$h

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 07:24 PM

Move to Canada

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 07:26 PM

it's meant to discourage kids getting married before they are ready.

in your case, financially ready.

the idea is that you would not be a student.

imaxxedout  (op)
Banned
Feb 8, 2003, 07:29 PM

Yeah, that's it. What hte hell do you know? You're like 17.

- Ca$h

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 07:33 PM

In Massachusetts, health insurance for all full time students is manditory. if you don't have any, you are enrolled in the state program, which isn't bad. Its run by Aetna. They tack the cost right onto your tuition.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Nicko
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2003, 07:33 PM

Yea move to Canada, health insurance for university is like $100 per semester.

So practically nothing.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 07:37 PM

and i is gradumcated unlike some folk in this forum

you know what i said is true, think about it. health insurance is much more affordable to people with full-time jobs. people with full time jobs are most likely not students. this is the penalty for risking marriage at an early age.

snotnose
Senior User
Feb 8, 2003, 07:42 PM

best advice i can give is try to find a part time job that has benefits. i heard that many homeless people are where they are because of something unexpected happening and them not having health insurance.
Nothing is older than the idea of new

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2003, 07:56 PM

Doesn't your school offer student insurance? It's usually an inexpensive deal. I think mine (if i needed it) would be about $750 for a single person. I don't know what the married rates are.

Otherwise, talk to a broker. They can find you a good deal.

imaxxedout  (op)
Banned
Feb 8, 2003, 08:08 PM

I just checked the UW's website. 3500 for both of us for a year.

F*CK!

Seriously, how the F*CK does anyone afford this ****?

Looks like I'm without it.

God damnnnnn.

- Ca$h

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 08:38 PM

Yes Jesus is very sweet... perhaps He'd help ya out if you stopped using His name in vain so profusely

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2003, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by imaxxedout:

F*CK!

God damnnnnn.
Oh, Jesus Christ...

Ca$h, don't do this to yourself. Or, if you absolutely must do it to yourself, then don't do it to her. Seriously; what you're doing -getting married without any kind of financial stability in place- is completely and totally insane. Money cannot buy happiness, that is a fact. But a lack of it will kill happiness faster than anything else. Do you know what percentage of marital disputes are over money? It's staggering. Resolve that issue, and many -though not all- of the potential problems are gone. You owe it to yourself, and to her, to do that.

Why now? Why must you get married now? This is an honest question; sometimes, people really do have good reasons for not delaying. But I don't see one in your case. Maybe you've got one, but I certainly don't know what it is.

How exactly do the two of you intend to live? If you can answer that question with something other than "it'll all work out somehow", then I'll get off your case. Maybe you can. I don't know. But if you can't, or you don't even know whether you can, then hold off a little while. No one is telling you to not get married to this woman. We're just saying that now may not be the time to do it.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2003, 08:44 PM

Most grad students like me get their health insurance fully covered. It's a nice plan too!

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2003, 12:07 AM

How much did you expect to dpend on insurance for the both of you?

Whatever that amount, put away a savings account every month and don't touch it unless it's for medical expenses.

For a young person/people, if you're relatively healthy, you won't need it much, and you end up saving all that money for later. The only problem comes in if you get pregnant/have kids.... the money goes quickly then. But say you and your wife visits a doctor a total of 6x in one year (probably colds/flu, etc. for young adults) If each visit is $40 x 6= $240 + any additional meds ($200?) .

Points to consider:

ER visits are a lot more expensive, so this will dip in your "medical account" much more quickly. So would hospital stays.

It's not a perfect solution, but if your only other alternative is "Do without", this would at least give you a cushion to fall back on.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2003, 12:14 AM

Just to add....

If you are looking at a $250-1000 deductible, think if either of you have ever spent that much on medical costs in a year. If not, then you would be paying $1800-2300 a year, just to pay most of your medical expenses out of your pocket. Again, this does not take into account pregnancy, ER visits, hospital stays...

is there any way you could get only major medical coverage? It'd probably have a high deductible with a cheaper rate, but then again, if you're healhy and without kids, you'd probably not hit a $250-1000 deductible anyway.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:

How exactly do the two of you intend to live? If you can answer that question with something other than "it'll all work out somehow", then I'll get off your case. Maybe you can. I don't know. But if you can't, or you don't even know whether you can, then hold off a little while. No one is telling you to not get married to this woman. We're just saying that now may not be the time to do it.
don't bother

i actually think cash is a very smart and willing individual, i'm sure he'll find a way.

getting married young is harder than just waiting, but he's doesn't want to wait. i'm not sure if there are any advantages to getting married soon, but it seems to me he fell in love with the idea of marriage and being a husband instead of actually being responsible.

PAC-Rat
Feb 9, 2003, 01:13 AM

Just do what I do...

Don't get sick.

(end of useless advice)
400MHz PM G4 (Yikes!)
700MHz iBook G3 (16 VRAM)

kOnshii
Feb 9, 2003, 01:34 AM

Wow i never knew student is the US had it so bad. I live in Australia, where all AUS citizens are covered by "free universal" health cover. But cause i go Uni, i must pay $100 admin fee which include public liability insurance and health insurance, $100 whole dollars.

WHAT A RIP OFF? I could go on....

Im so glade my parent's decided migrate to AUS, even though they had dual citizenship and is able to live in USA. Even our School fees are paid for by the Government, and we pay it back as in the form of Tax when or if we ever make <30grand.

I recond that pretty good, even if i graduate and become a bum, at least i know i won't be in debt.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 01:40 AM

Move to a country where you don't need one. Most of the Nordic countries would do. I'm studying in the university now and I don't pay any taxes(because I'm living on these studentloans or whatever it's called) but still I'm fully insured. Then when I get out to work I pay it back in taxes. Sometimes taxes aren't all that bad.

But maybe this didn't help you

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2003, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by cjrivera:
How much did you expect to depend on insurance for the both of you?

Whatever that amount, put away a savings account every month and don't touch it unless it's for medical expenses.
You could save for 3 years and that amount would probably equal 6 days worth of hospital care.

Tristrami
Senior User
Feb 9, 2003, 02:22 AM

Get a job.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2003, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by fat mac moron:
You could save for 3 years and that amount would probably equal 6 days worth of hospital care.
That's why I said it wouldn't be of much use for hospital stays, emergencies, etc.

But for routine stuff, it's better than nothing. (Since he said he was gonna do without)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2003, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
don't bother

i actually think cash is a very smart and willing individual, i'm sure he'll find a way.
I'm worried that this is precisely the attitude he's got. There's something to be said for taking risks, but not in being stupid. I reiterate: why now?
getting married young is harder than just waiting, but he's doesn't want to wait. i'm not sure if there are any advantages to getting married soon, but it seems to me he fell in love with the idea of marriage and being a husband instead of actually being responsible.
I suspect the same, and that's what worries me. It's a problem that's been plaguing U.S. society for decades, and the divorce rate has skyrocketed to match.

Ca$h, I'm honestly worried about you here. I'm a little older than you, but I'm going through similar issues in my own engagement at the moment, so I know just how tough this is. And if I do by somoe chance manage to convince you, that'll make things tougher, because I also know just how she'll react to that. It won't be pretty. But it's something that should at least be thought about very carefully, if not implemented.

Getting married is one day. Being married is a whole lifetime. Keep this in mind when you consider which is more important: the wedding, or the marriage.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2003, 02:42 AM

Just wondering, how old are you, Cash? And how old is your fiancee'?

bstone
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2003, 03:34 AM

F*CK!

God damnnnnn.

- Ca$h
Just as an idea- it's NEVER EVER a good idea to be without health insurance. But if you are and you get ill and need to see a doctor you have a few options. your best would be to find a Level 1 Trauma Center near you. They do not charge people who cannot pay but you will be waiting for 12 hours or longer sometimes and perhaps seeing terribly injured or ill people all around you.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Tristrami:
Get a job.
whoah. theres one.

i dont know how many people i knew who worked full time jobs and went to school full time for 4 or 5 years of college.

is it the best way to go? hell no. but it gets you insurance, sometimes.

MPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2003, 10:46 AM

Wow, I'm single and don't have insurance, my cheap ass boss would rather pocket the money then insure his employees. I also go to school full time without insurance. Not a huge deal, just don't get sick, or hit by a car. Don't knock your girl up, that is spendy. The moral of the story is move to Canada.
I can hear the goose-steps getting closer.

finboy
Feb 9, 2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
Most grad students like me get their health insurance fully covered. It's a nice plan too!
Only where they're unionized or something, maybe. I've NEVER known any grad students who were getting benefits; I always thought it was a hopeful rumour.
( Last edited by finboy; Feb 9, 2003 at 11:20 AM. )

jcadam
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2003, 01:57 PM

While I was in college, I was on the "don't get sick" plan. I didn't (Well I did get really sick one time, but I didn't see a doctor, though I should have).

My wife had a full-time job with health coverage, so she was covered.

Make sure your wife has coverage. Women are higher maintenance. If you are in generally good health, you can do without for a couple of years.

Also some states have "Indigent care programs" (It's part of welfare, if you don't make much $$). You can get food stamps too, if you have no pride

Just remember, after you get out of college and get a high paying job, you'll pay back into the system at least ten cubic assloads more $$ than what you took out.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 02:53 PM

Damn! UW is charging that much for student insurance? I paid about $500/year through undergraduate (gonzaga) and now I pay $700/year (USF). I thought that we international students were used to get jacked in education costs, but UW's insurance is

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by finboy:
Only where they're unionized or something, maybe. I've NEVER known any grad students who were getting benefits; I always thought it was a hopeful rumour.
Actually, the UW has very nice benefits for grad students. They're officially state employees- as a grad student and now a post-doc my wife had/has more complete insurance than my employer offers.
Therefore, I'm insured through the UW system.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2003, 05:46 PM

I do think you may be rushing into marriage a bit soon also. Millennium is right although I wouldn't go as far as to say he's totally right. Money in a marriage is NOT everything, but you do want some ground to stand on first. If you're both going to college togather that's cool, you'll still be together. I've not known any younger college students who were actually married, but it's college, it's not reality. Enjoy it!!!

After college you'll have to find a job, find a place, pay bills, etc., etc. That's reality. Make sure you can deal with those things before getting married (and I'm speaking from experience here too). You'll also find you'll change alot once your'e actually working and paying rent/mortgage and bills and so on. I hate to say it, but after those changes set-in you may find you're no longer compatable with one another. It happens. You will not be who you are right now, you'll definitely be different, and so will she.

Here's my sad tale of woe......
I dated my ex wife for like 7 yrs before we moved in together and got married like a month later. Being the first time I had to live on my own I changed ALOT. I had to actually be totally responsible for the first time ever. Long story-Short, I changed alot, she didn't like it. She wanted the guy she met, the guy that partied all the time until the wee hours of the morning. If I could go back and change one thing, we'd have lived together alot longer before rushing into marriage. Fortunately there's no kids between us, and we split on amicable terms. She just wanted out, and I sorta did also because I was bearing all the responsibility, and she never grew up.
I'm not saying that'll happen to you, but just food for thought.

Anyway as far as the health insurance thing goes, I think cjrivera is 100% right on this one. You'd be paying through the nose for the coverage and you may never need it. If you get sick once this year and have to pay like $100 for the doctors visit and like $40.00 for generic meds (always insist on generics if you wanna save some money, most doctors will be cool with that if you insist on them) That's $140.00 you spent. If you're in reasonable health and don't go bungee jumping over the colorado river or swimming in the shark tanks, you're saving money versus paying for coverage.

For example I just recently got sick myself and had to shell out about $130 for doctors visit and prescription (just started new job, no benefits yet). The thing is, it's like the first time I've been sick in YEARS and I'm 34. I couldn't and wouldn't pay what you're talking about for coverage. In my case, I'd just find a job that covers me better.

Considering your age, I don't think you'll need it, assuming you're in reasonable health.

Not to preach, but think about waiting to get married.

MikeM
( Last edited by MikeM33; Feb 9, 2003 at 06:08 PM. )

Sealobo
Feb 9, 2003, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by MikeM33:
Not to preach, but think about waiting to get married.

MikeM
I agree.

I am 23 and there is a girl that i really love. However i wouldn't choose to marry her now, not yet, simply because i am not financially secured enough. I want to provide everything that is needed when we get married, and if i couldn't, i would rather not getting married.

Same thing applies for having kids. If i can't afford to give them a good life, at least all the way up to college, i would not have kids. I don't want my kids going to college with a loan from the bank.

finboy
Feb 9, 2003, 06:02 PM

Look up Blue Cross/Blue Shield in your area. That might be a good way to go.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2003, 07:16 PM

Alright, I'm getting hitched this summer, but... sweet JESUS, how the **** are you supposed to pay for health insurance as a student?!?!?! I mean, the yearly cost, at a normal 250 deductable, is 2300 bucks. Cheapest I've found with a 1000 deduct is 1800.

good lord!!!!!!!!

Anyone have any tips?

- Ca$h
Man, I wish I could get insurance at 2300 yearly.

For us - a very healthy family all under age 30 - its $400 a month...for a $2500 deductible! And we haven't found anything cheaper.

Consider yourself lucky!

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2003, 07:23 PM

New York University has health care plans starting at like $600/semester, which isn't too bad. Saved my butt when I needed $4000+ eye surgery! (Cheap plug for my homepage, hehe.)

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
New York University has health care plans starting at like $600/semester, which isn't too bad. Saved my butt when I needed $4000+ eye surgery! (Cheap plug for my homepage, hehe.)
damn, looked like you got a clothesline from hell

nasty ass swollen eye ball coming out of your lid...

Forum Links
Forum Rules