Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "Anyone can play guitar..."

"Anyone can play guitar..."
PAC-Rat
Mar 5, 2003, 03:44 AM

... or so they say.

I'm thinking of learning electric guitar, but I know nothing of guitars AT ALL. I was hoping some of you vets could give me some advice on a beginning guitar. What should I buy?
400MHz PM G4 (Yikes!)
700MHz iBook G3 (16 VRAM)

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 5, 2003, 03:46 AM

Goto the guitar store and play every guitar you can lay your hands on. Buy the one you feel most comfortable with/can afford. Also listen to what the guitar sounds like without a amp, if it sounds decent without a amp, it's a good indication it will sound good through a amp. If not, you can always change the pickups.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2003, 04:00 AM

Think about what you want to learn, what players you want to emulate, and plan accordingly. Some players rely on a lot of intricate fingerwork, while others pretty much bash out chords; guitars vary from brand to brand (and even model to model) in terms of action, scale, sturdiness, etc., and not all guitars are suited to every style of playing. Ask the guys at the shop to suggest some models for you--those folks are usually hardcore guitar geeks who are only too happy to help you. Most shops also offer lessons as well, which are important if you're a beginner as it can be easy to get discouraged.

(I don't mean to avoid your question, but I wouldn't want to offer a recommendation without knowing what kind of playing you want to focus on. Who's inspiring you to pick up the guitar?)
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2003, 09:23 AM

I have to agree with Nonsuch. I started playing 18 months ago, and I suck at playing these Eddie Van Hanlen licks, but I'll crank out some tunes with chords.

I went to Guitar Center and picked out the cheapest electric guitar they had ($99 for a Fender Squire) and it's been very good to me. You might want to look at effects boxes, too. I think the one I have is called the Digimaster. I also have a cheap amp.

Guitar "sheet music", or tabs, are all over the internet. A Google search will find you what you want 99% of the time (and don't forget the check out deja.com/Google Groups for usenet posts).

And get that cheap Korg G3 guitar tuner.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

gadster
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by PAC-Rat:
... or so they say.

I'm thinking of learning electric guitar, but I know nothing of guitars AT ALL. I was hoping some of you vets could give me some advice on a beginning guitar. What should I buy?
Start with a cheapish nylon string acoustic guitar that will stay in tune, and get a tuner. Easy on the fingers and strings not too close together.

Then, learn the basic chords and just jam with them. Learn to read tab, and as starman suggested, get tab off the net. Rest your ear and chest on the body of the guitar and *LISTEN* - go for it. Then get some lessons.

Then, if you are still keen, go buy a decent electric guitar and amp, then later on get some effects pedals.

And always remember, Neil Young has it all over Yngwye Malsteem (or whatever his name is). ie: keep it simple.
e-gads

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2003, 09:56 AM

I have to disagree about the nylon strings. Get those calloses going early!

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 5, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by gadster:
And always remember, Neil Young has it all over Yngwye Malsteem (or whatever his name is). ie: keep it simple.
Not so sure about that, they both have their own style, and they both are good on my list. Yngwie just needed to be a little more humble. I think he is now that he isn't so popular anymore.

PAC-Rat  (op)
Mar 5, 2003, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
Think about what you want to learn, what players you want to emulate, and plan accordingly. Some players rely on a lot of intricate fingerwork, while others pretty much bash out chords;
I'm not so interested in emulating any particular players. I'm more interested in creating my own style. I'd definitely want to do more than bash out chords, so intricate fingerwork sounds more up my alley.
400MHz PM G4 (Yikes!)
700MHz iBook G3 (16 VRAM)

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2003, 12:15 PM

I personally would recommend *not* going nylon... To slippery and just awkward. If you can play steel/nickel... you should be fine with nylon and back... so get used to playing with real strings.

As for the guitar to get. I would recommend an accoustic (unless you have relatively short arms). Yamaha makes some affordable, yet pretty good quality guitars. For experienced players, they aren't much fun... but for a beginner they are perfect. Real basic, guitars.

If you have short arms, and want to go electric, I would recommend the Fender Strat. It's been in constant production since 1953, and is the most familiar guitar on the planet. It ranges in price from a little over $125-Bill Gates.

Personally, for a beginner I would recommend an accoustic. Forces you to stand on your own and focus on style and playing for yourself... rather than using electronics to make you sound better.

Save yourself the trouble and get an electric guitar tuner... They normally come with a plug for electric, and built in mic for accoustic... That way it's easy and quick to stay in tune (eventually you can do it yourself, but for now it's just easier).

If you want to do a lot of intricate fingerwork (solo's etc.) I would recommend getting the electric, or look for an accoustic with a good cutout that you can reach all the frets easily. If your looking for chords... Accoustic is much more comfortable.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Mar 5, 2003, 12:28 PM

I picked up the guitar again a couple of months ago. I've always wanted to play, and have given it half-hearted attempts a couple of times over the years. Two months ago, I decided it was time to really learn. I got a great deal through eBay on a B.C. Rich. I still had a great little Fender (USA Made) amp and electronic tuner.

I've been teaching myself. Learning chords and downloading tabs of the internet and a few free online lessons trying to keep things balanced between chords and fingerwork

And yeah, my fingertips were just a little tender when I started, but they've toughened up pretty good.

My inspiration? Ace Frehley:

He is the reason I want to play guitar. Ever since I was a kid listening to my records in the family livingroom, I've dreamed of playing like him. And spent countless hours as a kid playing air-guitar imagining I was him.

One quote by Ace that I get a kick out of:
"If I had known in the 70's that I was going to be such an influence to so many musicians, I probably would have practiced a lot more." - Ace

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 5, 2003, 01:16 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 6, 2004 at 01:33 AM. )

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2003, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Read the liner notes of this album. It tells you everything you need to know about guitar.

Hah - the guy's wearing a Destroy All Monsters t-shirt. DAM was a Detroit avant-garde band in the early 70's. I've met Carey Loren, who operates a book store here.

http://www.cocaseattle.org/archives/2000/DAM/info.htm

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2003, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
As for the guitar to get. I would recommend an accoustic (unless you have relatively short arms). Yamaha makes some affordable, yet pretty good quality guitars. For experienced players, they aren't much fun... but for a beginner they are perfect. Real basic, guitars.

Personally, for a beginner I would recommend an accoustic. Forces you to stand on your own and focus on style and playing for yourself... rather than using electronics to make you sound better.

Save yourself the trouble and get an electric guitar tuner... They normally come with a plug for electric, and built in mic for accoustic... That way it's easy and quick to stay in tune (eventually you can do it yourself, but for now it's just easier).
I completely agree. A Yamaha full-bodied acoustic is the way to go in this case. For a few dollars more, you can get one with electrical pickups in it. That way, if you do end up jamming with others, you'd be able to plug in to an amp.

Acoustics are great for strengthining your hand and fingers as well.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2003, 02:07 PM

Once you learn how to play guitar and have a hit record, the really cool part is that you become an authority on EVERYTHING from foreign policy to tax policy.

Works the same if you manage to get your SAG card too.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2003, 02:45 PM

After a certain point, I highly suggest lessons. Learning from a pro in the beginning can eliminate poor technique that may hinder learning and progression. Plus, attending regular lessons provides a certain regimen.

I play drums, but the same principle applies.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2003, 02:57 PM

Anyone can play guitar, but most of those who can suck eggs.

It's like writing. Most people can compose a sentence and fill out questionnaires, but ask them to write a short story AND KABOOM!!!!

From the fan to every inch of the room, the sh*t travelled like a politician's stump speech, but, then again, it didn't smell half so bad or contain as much corn.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 5, 2003, 03:31 PM

When picking a guitar, you can take someone with you who plays the kind of music you're thinking of, and have them play guitars to see what sounds good to your ear-

but if you're going to get an acoustic guitar, tacoma or olympia are excellent choices, as are alvarez, as beginning guitars.

consider lessons, but also: GET THESE BOOKS.

http://www.jazzbooks.com/scripts/sea...ail=1&item=620

The three volume set of Howard Roberts Praxis System.

Basically, if you learn from those books, as well as with a teacher, you'll be able to play anything you can hear in your head.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2003, 03:47 PM

I started 25 years ago playing with bluesrecords, pick up the scheme, the beat and chords..some lix maybe, maybe a solo after a while. On the acoustic. At the same time I took lessons from a streetplayer who learned me the art of fingerpicking.
Play the blues, and you'll play anything.

If you have some $$ to spend, don't waste it on cheap crappy guitars. Throw in a 500 or so and get a decent second hand, the effects can wait (they're expensive !)

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2003, 04:00 PM

After you've been playing for some time, three words:

Fender
Twin
Reverb

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2003, 04:48 PM

If you're serious about wanting to learn guitar, and to make it part of your life, then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT buy a cheap guitar!

I'm *always* getting-on to people about this. Guitars are an INVESTMENT, so if you're serious, go for the gusto. Otherwise, in a year or so, you'll be looking at that crappy guitar you spent $300 on and going "what in the world am I going to do with this thing?"

That said, after having played guitar for almost 20 years, I only play three different brands:

Gibson (for electrics, Les Paul to be exact)
Taylor (for acoustics)
Fender (for bass)

If you don't want to spend much money now, then go ahead and buy the lamest guitar you can find at a pawn shop, meaning, one that you won't mind taking a loss on down the road. Just make sure the fretboard isn't craked and that the neck isn't warped, twisted, or bowed.

Don't mess with nylons -- like someone already said: get those calluses ASAP.

For an amp, there are all kinds of "starter" amps available nowadays. The amp is also an investment, so you have to decide whether or not you want it now, or get something you can take a loss on or trade back. I wouldn't get anythign smaller than a 2-12, though.

I've had a 4-12 Marshall and a Carvin 4-12, and loved them, both. The Carvin speaker head was a lot better than the Marshall IMHO. But again, it depends what you're heading toward. I had the stacks because I was in a band, but if you're just learning without starting-up something, get a 2-12 of some sort.

HTH,
Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:

Fender
Twin
Reverb

My father had one of those... The real one... not the bull **** one today.

The real one was an amp... the new one is really more digital than anything... and doesn't sound nearly as good.

Then again, not many amps sound as good as the old ones did.

Vacume tubes sucked in many ways... but still can't replicate the sound it makes.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2003, 05:11 PM

Yeah, an old bandmate had one--I think 1969 or so. Heavy sonofagun. As we got older he threatened to get a lighter, gigging amp. The bass player and I said we'd always carry it if he kept playing it.

Love that tremolo.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 5, 2003, 05:25 PM

[thread hijack -- sorry]

Has anyone used the videos they sell on TV that guarantee to teach you to play guitar in 30 days? They don't seem too expensive...

Although I think my best friends dad could give me better lessons (for free), it's usually easier to do something on my own time.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 5, 2003, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:

Fender
Twin
Reverb

Naw, save even more and get this 3 worder

Marshall
Half
Stack

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2003, 05:34 PM

I started playing around a year ago, took some lessons, but mostly learned myself.

I'll echo most of what's been said above:

Start with an acoustic guitar (with metal strings). It'll hurt like hell at first until you build up some callouses, but it'll be worth it.

It's much easier to just pick up an acoustic guitar and start practising rather than hooking up an electric guitar. Get a nice guitar stand or stick the guitar in a place where it's always in your way. It'll force you to practice more.

Buy the best guitar you can afford. I went out and bought a cheap ass amp & guitar, and now I need to spend some more money on a better one. I lucked out on a nice amp, picked up a nice Marshall off my friend for $150 (He paid around $400 for it). But now I'm looking for a nice electric and literally throwing out my cheap junker. It sounds like �hit, it is �hit. Spend the money at the beginning and you'll be much happier. You'll look forward to practising with a nice guitar.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 5, 2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
Gibson (for electrics, Les Paul to be exact)
Taylor (for acoustics)
Fender (for bass)
Les Pauls are nice, and sound great, but they are a bit too heavy for my tastes. That is why I got a PRS.

I've had a 4-12 Marshall and a Carvin 4-12, and loved them, both. The Carvin speaker head was a lot better than the Marshall IMHO. But again, it depends what you're heading toward. I had the stacks because I was in a band, but if you're just learning without starting-up something, get a 2-12 of some sort.

HTH,
Maury
Was that carvin a tube head? Was the Marshall?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 5, 2003, 06:12 PM

I use a sovtek mig100 tube head and a Kustom solid-state combo 2x12.

Really, there are a few good solid-state amps, despite what the faithful GuitarPlayer Magazine subscribers will tell you.

It's important to get a well-made guitar, and if you need to avoid spending large amounts of money, you can do well, without breaking the bank.

Not everyone needs their first guitar to be a PRS or Gibson Les Paul (despite the fact that I own two-)

In fact, you can get a samick (who makes most guitars for the Gibsons and Fenders of the world anyway) and pay less because you aren't paying for the name.

Here:

http://www.indoorstorm.com/Merchant2...egory_Code=AG2

That shop is local to me, and I know the owner. They sell all the big name guitars, but the ones I linked to are Samicks with the owner's name on the headstock. If you don't care about name and want quality, go with those. Glued in neck construction, no-plywood ever... The way a guitar should be made, without paying for the name.

Also, you should call this guy:

http://www.edromanguitars.com/

Tell him your price range and what you're interested in playing.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2003, 06:18 PM

Make sure that the amp's volume control goes to "11". Don't cheap out for one that only goes to "10".

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 5, 2003, 06:52 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 6, 2004 at 01:33 AM. )

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2003, 08:13 PM

here's what I got:

The Yamaha's are great for beginners

can't recommend one of these enough:

Sorry for the extreme length... but pics liven up more than words eh?

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Mar 5, 2003, 08:23 PM

<strongbad voice> I spit on all your wimpy guitars.</strongbad voice>
Meedley, Meedley, Meedley, Meedley, Meedley, Meedley, Meedley, Meedley, Meedley, Meedley, Meedley, Meedley, MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2003, 08:27 PM

After 10 Months Of Bitter Struggle,
Downstairs Neighbor Masters 'Jumpin' Jack Flash'

GAINESVILLE, FL After 10 months of bitter, around-the-clock struggle, pizza-delivery driver and aspiring guitarist Darren Lowell, 23, has finally mastered The Rolling Stones' "Jumpin' Jack Flash," his upstairs neighbor reported Tuesday. "I'm glad he finally nailed it," neighbor Jeremy Quinlan said. "From what I could hear through my living-room floor these past 10 months, he was really locked in an epic battle with that elusive 'dunh-dunh, da-da-da da-da-da da-da-da' riff. It was truly like Ahab and the whale." Next week, Lowell is slated to embark on his next ambitious project, Van Halen's "Eruption," which is scheduled for completion in the spring of 2004.
http://www.theonion.com/onion3908/index.html

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2003, 09:38 PM

time for me to throw my 2 cents in!!!
here are my 2 guitars

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Telecaster

my effects pedal is a DigiTech Rp200

guitars can be fun!
see!!
http://homepage.mac.com/alasaracina/PhotoAlbum38.html

who to play like? humm thats easy

Noel

Billy

and Beck
( Last edited by SOLIDAge; Mar 5, 2003 at 09:49 PM. )

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2003, 10:04 PM

Wooo! A new record for the widest pic ever posted!

<confetti and balloons drop>

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2003, 10:45 PM

solidage,

Every major musician who knows how to play a guitar has a strat.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2003, 10:50 PM

Solidage,

Those are NICE guitars. I've been a huge Billy Corgan fan ever since I started listening to rock music. In fact I first started playing Tonight Reprise when I first picked up a guitar.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 03:52 PM

A friend just returned from the US an d bought this guild starfire '64 for $ 850.
A good buy ?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by l'ignorante:
A friend just returned from the US an d bought this guild starfire '64 for $ 850.
A good buy ?
A very good buy.

Not because he got a huge savings on price- but because he bought an EXCELLENT instrument. That was made before Fender bought Guild and ruined them.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2003, 04:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vmarks:
A very good buy.

Not because he got a huge savings on price- but because he bought an EXCELLENT instrument. That was made before Fender bought Guild and ruined them.
[quote]

I second that.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2003, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
solidage,

Every major musician who knows how to play a guitar has a strat.
Except for those of us who would rather not have a strat.

The closest thing to a strat in my stable is a 7/8th size strat body with two 59 PAF (real 1959 ones, not knockoffs or repros) humbuckers. It's a two tone sunburst spray, with a bigsby style tremolo, and has the beveled edges of an SG.

Strats are fine and well, but even the American made ones aren't as well made as I'd like. A lot of the other ones are made by Samick, with the Fender name slapped on them.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2003, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
Except for those of us who would rather not have a strat.

The closest thing to a strat in my stable is a 7/8th size strat body with two 59 PAF (real 1959 ones, not knockoffs or repros) humbuckers. It's a two tone sunburst spray, with a bigsby style tremolo, and has the beveled edges of an SG.

Strats are fine and well, but even the American made ones aren't as well made as I'd like. A lot of the other ones are made by Samick, with the Fender name slapped on them.
Nothing is as fun as playing a strat IMHO. They are just timeless classics. Hence constant production for so many years.

Simple, comfortable to almost everyone, and just classly lookin.

My only wish was they adjusted it so that they got rid of the real low end one... and made a higher one.

ratter
Mar 6, 2003, 04:22 PM

My $.02 -

Stay as far away as possible from Ed Roman Guitars. The guy is...well, let's just say his reputation preceeds him, and not in a good way.

Lessons? Definitely. Not only that, but who says you can only start taking lessons *after* you've bought a guit? Take advantage of your teacher's experience. Ask him/her if your first lesson can be at a music store where he/she will help you pick out your guitar and/or amp! Otherwise, I second the "take along a guitar-playing friend" advice when buying your first instrument. There are way too many choices...it can make your head spin if you're not familiar. And hell...chances are, if you stick with it long enough, you'll have been through a number of "rigs" by the time a few years have passed. Tastes change, perspectives change, gear chanages...

Also, take specific gear recommendations from people that you don't know with a large grain of salt. I've been playing for a long time, and have gone through lots of gear, and read through lots of message boards. For some unknown reason , people tend to recommend the gear that they have and like, whether or not it is even *remotely* appropriate for the person that is asking. For that matter, the same holds true for advice on players to listen to and who to emulate, etc. If people who are making recommendations don't know you and what you're about, how can they possible help? And if you don't know them and what they're about, they could very well be completely full of sh1t.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 05:55 PM

Been playing for about 15 years now, on and off.

Got myself one of these nowadays:

Made of luthite, not wood - has a nice sustained high end, which I like; I like noisy, screechy sounds at the moment.

For quick exercises, when you've gotten more comfortable, you can do a daily Lick of the Day or browse through some guitar tab sites, like Olga.

For fun software, see GuitarTab and consider AmpliTube Live, of which you can see a demo in the last couple of minutes of this years Power of X Video.

J

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 6, 2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
Been playing for about 15 years now, on and off.

Got myself one of these nowadays:

Made of luthite, not wood - has a nice sustained high end, which I like; I like noisy, screechy sounds at the moment.
I have owned 3 Sabers in my life, but I am sure they was made out of Basswood. They must have changed them since the late 80s early 90s. Nice guitar

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 02:56 PM

Ibanez experimented with Luthite in guitars for awhile, with the above series called Ergodyne. Didn't last long, but they're evolving it on the bass side of things: http://www.ibanez.com/eda/

Dunno why, it sounds great, IMHO.

J

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2003, 03:19 PM

consider AmpliTube Live, of which you can see a demo in the last couple of minutes of this years Power of X Video.
Yeah, Amplitube looks great. I was wondering about that. Will it work with the Digital (no mic-in) Quicksilvers, though? Hmmmmm....

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
Yeah, Amplitube looks great. I was wondering about that. Will it work with the Digital (no mic-in) Quicksilvers, though? Hmmmmm....

greg
Since it's built around CoreAudio, I'd guess it won't care where the sound comes in from. You might need some simple USB or FireWire audio-in solution, which can be found at Apple's hardware guide's audio section or the greatest ever Mac audio site, http://osxaudio.com

J

Forum Links
Forum Rules