Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Who thinks the Cube is actually coming?

Who thinks the Cube is actually coming?
Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2003, 08:53 AM

Does anyone have a gut feeling we''ll see this pro-sumer baby early next year.Anyone have this feeling.If done write i think it can succeed big time.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Oct 11, 2003, 09:15 AM

..is that as in the nextcube or the g4cube ?

..ie: form factor ??

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2003, 09:27 AM

i mean the cube G4 i can dream cant i

taffy
Oct 11, 2003, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by Rob van dam:
Does anyone have a gut feeling we''ll see this pro-sumer baby early next year.Anyone have this feeling.If done write i think it can succeed big time.

uhh yes a Macintosh named cube did come out and yes it had a G4 Processor and no it wasn't very successful and it was discontinued.

Welcome to 2003.

c.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2003, 09:47 AM

I know but i re-done cube. I guess i'll wait and see. it's either that or superdrive i-mac or low end G5 tower for me.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2003, 11:29 AM

I think you are more likely to see a new Mac in the shape of an Oompa Loompa than a new Cube.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

SF_VR6
Oct 11, 2003, 12:12 PM

I know but i re-done cube. I guess i'll wait and see. it's either that or superdrive i-mac or low end G5 tower for me.
how can they redo it? bigger cube? more expansions? By the time they fix what was wrong with it to our satisfaction, it will look like..... our current G5s

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Grrr:
I think you are more likely to see a new Mac in the shape of an Oompa Loompa than a new Cube.
Will these Oompa Loompa Macs sing? Cuz if they don't sing, then what's the point??
Do you really have any firm info on the OL Macs; or are you just making this all up?

jango
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 12:44 PM

What the heck is rob talking about? Sorry, but your question does not make any sense.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2003, 05:47 PM

Part of the sex appeal to the current Cube is that it's no longer available. Geeks are buying them and pimping them out, but with the G5 here the Cube looks more and more like a huge waste of time and money.

A very small number of hardcore users and hobbyists will keep trying to pimp these things out, but I think it would still fail as a shipping product.

I think we are more likely to see a tablet style portable, that incorporates some crazy features we haven't thought of yet.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

joe
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 10:21 PM

I think there's a lot of potential in the Cube design: small, functional, stylish, etc. Not much in the way of expansion but at least some upgradability for the main components (cpu/graphics/drives). Rob is right though - it wasn't done right to begin with. A new, redesigned G5 Cube with a lower price point (compared to a similarly spec'd G5 Tower) would have a better chance of getting off the ground. But given the gigantic heat sinks in the new G5 Towers, I doubt Apple could make it work. At least not with the current G5 chips. Still, if Apple were to figure out the details and get the pricing right I'd be one of the 1st to buy .........joe

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2003, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by Grrr:
u know that there's a charlie and the chocolate family remake heres the link

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf...403418&intl=us

In terms of other eplies i thought my question was straightforward.but thanks for youre replies anyway.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2003, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by joe:
I think there's a lot of potential in the Cube design: small, functional, stylish, etc. Not much in the way of expansion but at least some upgradability for the main components (cpu/graphics/drives). Rob is right though - it wasn't done right to begin with. A new, redesigned G5 Cube with a lower price point (compared to a similarly spec'd G5 Tower) would have a better chance of getting off the ground. But given the gigantic heat sinks in the new G5 Towers, I doubt Apple could make it work. At least not with the current G5 chips. Still, if Apple were to figure out the details and get the pricing right I'd be one of the 1st to buy .........joe
finally someone gets what i was saying.I mean if there planning to put one in a powerbook why not a cube.I'm sure ibm has same tricks up there sleeve like SOI technology and moving to the 0.9 process.Wishfull thinking so i may have to settle frol low end G5.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 04:51 PM

The Cube was a great idea, but priced horribly wrong. Apple can't make them cheaply enough to sell them at a price that makes sense, so no - the Cube is not coming back. AFAIK, Apple has never brought back a product they discontinued. Why would they?

PAC-Rat
Oct 12, 2003, 05:15 PM

Although I think it'd be cool (I'd might be interested in buying one), I doubt it'll happen.
400MHz PM G4 (Yikes!)
700MHz iBook G3 (16 VRAM)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2003, 08:05 PM

u know that there's a charlie and the chocolate family remake heres the link

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf...403418&intl=us
Not to hijack the thread, but - in god's name why remake Willy Wonka with Jonny Depp? Barf. Is nothing sacred in Hollywood?

I now return you to your pre-hijacked thread.


Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2003, 08:16 PM

No cube, ever.

iBox?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
... but - in god's name why remake Willy Wonka with Jonny Depp?
I don't have an answer for you, but this would be PERFECT timing for an Apple product tie-in with the new Oompa Loompa Mac. Don't you think? They could do a huge marketing blitz.
BTW, I've been searching all over at AI and MacRumors, but I still haven't gotten a straight answer on whether the new OL Macs will sing or not... Might not happen til rev 2.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2003, 08:39 PM

I wish they would have, I just replaced my awesome G4 cube with a Dual G5. I can't wait forever and I don't think we will ever see another one.

The iMac is basically the same thing but with a 15 or 17" screen.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2003, 08:42 PM

ok what about a current imac style case without the monitor (so you can attach a nice 30" when it comes out) and a vertical superdrive in the center (like the cube sort of) and a g5 chip.

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 12:44 AM

Build the case out of the G5 heatsink?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2003, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by CIA:
Build the case out of the G5 heatsink?
True, the heatsink and the G5's take up as much room as the cube itself!
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Xombi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 02:47 AM

/Why wait for Apple, when we could build a G5 cube ourselves out of chicken wire?

Anyway, I brought 2 cube's when they first came out; they sit side by side and are (prays) still going strong (one has an occasionally sticky 'toaster' drive).
I seem to remember that the argument against the Cube was that it couldn't be expanded/upgraded like the G4 Towers, but I'm running both 450Mhz cube's at 1.5gb ram and they munch through projects such as hi-end 3D rendering just fine (OK, over a weekend).

joe
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
The iMac is basically the same thing but with a 15 or 17" screen.

Maybe the Cube is similar to the original iMac, but not as much with the current 15 and 17" models. Asthetics aside, one of the reasons the Cube is so popular is that you can upgrade more than just the memory and hard drive. And the cpu and graphics card upgrades in particular have really extended the life and abilities of the Cube........joe

khufuu
Oct 14, 2003, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Not to hijack the thread, but - in god's name why remake Willy Wonka with Jonny Depp? Barf. Is nothing sacred in Hollywood?

I now return you to your pre-hijacked thread.
Johnny's the only one who could pull it off and it's just weird enough that he'd do it just to see if he could get away with it.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2003, 04:10 AM

The closest you'll see is once the Die shrink takes place you may see the iMac move up to a G5 relatively soon.

That's the closest you're gonna get to a cube. Unless apple decides to run it for just one rev and then drop it as some sorta promo but they would probably only build a few.

It just doesn't make businesswise for em.

Loopydude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 03:23 PM

I think the cube was the ur-iMac for the Jet Set. With the iMac firmly established in the market, I can't see any reason to reinvent the Cube.

Anyway, part of what made the Cube such a gee-whiz toy was its conspicuous lack of a fan. With the current G5, the fan you would need to cool it could likely levitate the Cube above the surface of your desk hovercraft-style - pretty damn neat, I'll warrant, but it might cause major hearing loss with prolonged exposure.

Of course they could use these new active liquid cooling systems that are coming out. However, since the surface of the Cube would be required to dissipate the heat (as the innards are so tightly-packed) it seems quite likely that the Cube would become too hot to touch while running processor-hungry tasks...plus, certified non-combustible, melt-proof DVD-R media would be pretty expensive.

JB72
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 05:57 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing Apple do a single G5 Cube, but maybe slightly larger than the original, with one PCI slot. Then make the G5s all dual CPU. Yummy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules