Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > FC Express vs. FCP, what the diff?

FC Express vs. FCP, what the diff?
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 09:04 PM

I have an offer to get Final Cut Express for $49 and I am curious about the difference between Express and Pro. I will mostly print to DVD and maybe VHS. What does FCP have that FCX does not and since I am moving up from iMovie/iDVD to FCX anyone have an opinion on the same transition to FCX? Is FCX worth it? Thanks for any help
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

nate_02
Senior User
Nov 20, 2003, 09:35 PM

FCX is a huge improvement from iMovie, but FCP is still quite a bit better thatn FCX.

FCP has a lot of video scopes and analyzers that FCX does not have.

Right now, FCP also has RT effects and filters which I don't think FCX has. These allow you to put an effect on and preview it without rendering. It saves a lot of time.

But for $49, FCX sounds like it will work great for what you are doing. You can always upgrade to Pro in the future.
-nate

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2003, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
I have an offer to get Final Cut Express for $49 and I am curious about the difference between Express and Pro. I will mostly print to DVD and maybe VHS. What does FCP have that FCX does not and since I am moving up from iMovie/iDVD to FCX anyone have an opinion on the same transition to FCX? Is FCX worth it? Thanks for any help
are you a video pro? do you use for recording a digi-beta? do you plan to broadcast your projects in nationwide television? do you import "analog film"/24fps material?

no?
no need for FC.

do you use a "normal" videocam? dv?
use FCE.

that simple.

the possibilities of FC are really just for pros, who need color correction (and are ABLE to do color correction ;-) ) or want to do "field editing" and later export EDLs in their pro studio etc.....-

sorry, but to take advantage of these "extras" you have to be a pro with years of experience.

but all the edting stuff is the same! that, and the price, makes FCE so nice

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 08:58 AM

An other very useful feauture of FCP not available in FCX is �batch capture�. Log all your clips, start a batch capture and go take a walk or restore an old projet wit no media and batch capture your clips . But don't forget to identify your tape properly when you log.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 08:54 PM

Get final cut express at that price..its a VERY GOOD DEAL at 49 bucks.

Than... you can upgrade to final Cut Pro for a lot less money than just buying FCP in the first place.

PLUS>>>> You can import all your movies from iMovie into Final Cut Express...
but..I'm told by the Final Cut Pro teacher at the Apple Store in Soho in NYC you cannot import iMovie projects into Final Cut Pro..so you have to import them into Final Cut Express first...save it as an Express file..then import it into Final Cut Pro. So you will probably need FCE anyhow.

I'm not exactly sure what Express can do with iMovie files that FCPro cannot do..but it is something...just can't remember off the top of my head.

Also you need a G4 chip to use Pro. I stilll use a g3 ibook so I have to use Express when I'm on the road for now.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2003, 10:45 PM

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
A short comparison:
http://www.princeton.edu/~newmedia/fcp_v_fce.shtml

Thanks the video tutorials of FCE from Apple seem to show me that FCE is plenty for me. Thanks all.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

PAC-Rat
Dec 7, 2003, 05:35 PM

Good move.
400MHz PM G4 (Yikes!)
700MHz iBook G3 (16 VRAM)

Forum Links
Forum Rules