Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Rescued Bulldog - Cute! [pix]

Rescued Bulldog - Cute! [pix]
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 11:04 AM

We do a lot of dog rescue down here in Florida and one of the little dogs we rescued this week was a 5-month old French bulldog named Lola. She had a problem with her eyes that her owner was unable to afford to fix so she gave her to bulldog rescue and they contacted me and I went down to pick her up. She has a condition whereby the tear ducts had popped out of her eyes and could not go back in. They took her to surgery yesterday and what they did was to create a new pocket underneath each eye orbit, tuck the tear ducts back in, then they sewed them back into place. (Surgery was about $1500 when all is said and done and the previous owner is in between jobs, not up to affording the surgery, and wanted to find a new home for the dog.) Now she is all better and ready to go to a new home, but I must admit, of all the dogs that we have fostered or helped, she takes the cake because she has a wicked cool personality and she's very smart and sweet. The veterinarian says to keep her so maybe I'll consider it, but I have always found them new homes within a few weeks to a few months so I'll probably be looking for a new home for her also. I highly recommend this breed to anyone - just make sure they are healthy!

Here are some pictures of little Lola - feel free to post your own pooches or pets, also.

Before...

After...

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 11:06 AM

$1500? On a freakin' dog?

I like dogs and all but I don't think I'd spend 1.5k fixing one I'd never met before.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 11:08 AM

You made me laugh!

No, she's sure worth it. They all are - including the little Yorkie in my sig. He had a double hernia and needed ear surgery too. He's in a wonderful home now with a chef who cooks food for him for his meals. All dogs and cats deserve a chance at a healthy life just like we do!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 11:09 AM

Hi Cody,

You have such a good heart. Lola is so cute. Happy to see that the surgery was a success. A very lucky bulldog. She will be a prize fro her new owner.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 11:19 AM

Hi WD!

Nice to hear from you!

Yes, she is a real sweetheart - very cute and playful and LOVES kids.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 11:28 AM

Thank you for your response Cody.

Would love to chat.

How soon will she be available for adoption?

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 11:29 AM

Those are my favorite kind of dogs. That was really nice of you to do that for her.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 11:45 AM

The sad thing I don't think Cody here would be donating this much to starving children.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 12:06 PM

Kids aren't as cute.

kick52
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 12:18 PM

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 01:09 PM

kick: Can't get it there - "Forbidden"

About not helping people? That's not true, Rob. We always donate time and money to families during the holidays when there are food drives. And, I like to think that we are helping people when they have a pet to love that goes into their home. (Anyway, who have you helped, animal or human, lately? )

brapper
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 01:14 PM

may I have her?

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2005, 01:21 PM

Cody,
Lola is gorgeous. I, for one, applaud your rescue efforts.
Just hope your health issues are getting better.

Our Lucy; the Border, got fixed this last week and is healing
quickly - in other words, didn't slow her down more than one day.
She's definatley the one running the ranch these days!
No one escapes her efforts at keeping us all in line.

I hope Lola finds a great home; although she'd be a hard one for
me to let go.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 01:43 PM

brapper: Where are you located?

If someone is in the state of Florida and might want her then PM me. She has to stay in Florida.

As far as keeping her, yes, it's tempting. But, with kids and a job and busy, busy, busy, plus wanting to help other dogs, it might not be a good idea. I was supposed to help someone relocate their Chow Chow this weekend and I can't do it.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
The sad thing I don't think Cody here would be donating this much to starving children.
I think she would. You may have valid reasons to take issue with her, but this ain't one of em.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 02:15 PM

don't get me wrong. i love dogs - but that's one ugly fucker!

brapper
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 02:29 PM

I'm in Toronto, so no where near Florida.
I just can't resist a dog in need of a home, and as such have had to stop going to the Humane Society's web site.
I hope you find her a good home!

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
kick: Can't get it there - "Forbidden"

About not helping people? That's not true, Rob. We always donate time and money to families during the holidays when there are food drives. And, I like to think that we are helping people when they have a pet to love that goes into their home. (Anyway, who have you helped, animal or human, lately? )

I sent $5 to that find andy website I posted about the guy missing in japan.... but basically, I don't help that many people. I try to improve everybody's life by being vocal about things that piss me off, and sometimes things get changed. Then again, you don't see me dropping over a grand on a freakin fake dog either.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 03:07 PM

Why do you think the dog is fake?

I can assure you she is very real!

Railroader
Banned
Aug 20, 2005, 03:11 PM

Money well spent Cody. Good to hear such an nice story. The anti-SUV, scaring old ladies, stingy humanitarian, and flipping off meter attendants guy is a loser. don't even give a second though to him.

That is about the epitome of the next dog we want to get. Something small with a personality. Our dogs are awesome, but sometimes they are too big for us. We'll probably be buying a Suburban next car purchase because of them.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 03:12 PM

Nah. That's a pretend dog. Here's a real one:

( Last edited by tooki; Aug 21, 2005 at 03:05 PM. )

Railroader
Banned
Aug 20, 2005, 03:14 PM

A good Golden will cost you well over $1500 in the first year alone. You are a live-in-the-minute kind of guy aren't you Rob?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 03:18 PM

A good Golden will cost you well over $1500 in the first year alone.
Hi! Why do you say that a golden will cost $1500 the first year?

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 03:18 PM

Nah. We got him for $350, all shots, etc. He rocks. We had to get him nudered, but that wasn't all that expensive.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 03:20 PM

He is a great-looking dog.

I want to see Patty's dog, tho.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 20, 2005, 03:25 PM

Cody: A pure bred high quality Golden Retriever from a breeder is around $1000 around here. Mind you, that's dog with a proven bloodline and guaranteed health certificates. Grooming, high quality dog food, vaccinations and flea medicine will easily run $500.

Now, a lucky visit to a shelter could net you one for about $150 or friends at a GR Rescue organization could get you one for a little more... but that is rare. Retrievers are in big demand around here in duck hunting country.

Rob, I thought you lived in an apt. on the 123rd floor or something like that? You make a Golden Retriever live in conditions like that? I'm not even sure humans should live like that let alone dogs.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Cody: A pure bred high quality Golden Retriever from a breeder is around $1000 around here. Mind you, that's dog with a proven bloodline and guaranteed health certificates. Grooming, high quality dog food, vaccinations and flea medicine will easily run $500.
That's insane. Our other golden retriever's dad was the national golden retriever champion, and she cost $500. Your prices are just ludicrous!

Rob, I thought you lived in an apt. on the 123rd floor or something like that? You make a Golden Retriever live in conditions like that? I'm not even sure humans should live like that let alone dogs.
Nah, he lives with my mom in beigeville. Sucks, I miss having a dog around.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 03:28 PM

I sent $5 to that find andy website I posted about the guy missing in japan.... but basically, I don't help that many people. I try to improve everybody's life by being vocal about things that piss me off, and sometimes things get changed.
Ah yes, since your crappy attitude has made this place so much better, no?

Good for you, Cody.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 03:44 PM

people love to stir the pot around here

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 03:45 PM

Yes, I think that dogs are expensive all over - so are veterinarians!

I think some people a) Don't mind spending thousands of dollars on a dog and/or b) Think that spending thousands of dollars on a dog is a status symbol.

Just glancing through our local paper down here in SE Florida most of the dogs are in the $1000 price range, yes. Some of them are actually $1250 and above. "Teacup Yorkies" and chihuahuas are advertised at $2000!

Then again maybe small dogs are okay...

(To all of you men out there in MacNN-land reading this and thinking that only big dogs matter...)

Railroader
Banned
Aug 20, 2005, 04:00 PM

That's insane. Our other golden retriever's dad was the national golden retriever champion, and she cost $500. Your prices are just ludicrous!

Nah, he lives with my mom in beigeville. Sucks, I miss having a dog around.
So, when you say "our" you don't really mean yours? Weird communication style Robert.

You can get deals. I said that. But a good GR is NOT cheap. I can get one cheap from a breeder without a health guarantee and poor breeding. Hip/elbow dysplasia, eye problems, and heart disease is common in GRs. A good breeder, who won't be cheap, charges a lot of money for those guarantees.

The closest breeder to my house in a quick google search resulted with this:
http://classifieds2.breedersclub.net...age=out&id=747

"$1000.00 and up"

and
http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory...32ed-7ee1.aspx

"$1200"

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 04:47 PM

Yeah, they're expensive. People have been emailing me and telling me that French bulldogs are expensive. I just did a Google and I guess they're right! I had no idea.

Here's another picture of her out on my lawn...what a sweetie...how could you look into her eyes and deny her a surgery that would make her feel better?

She's marvelous in her personality.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 20, 2005, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
So, when you say "our" you don't really mean yours? Weird communication style Robert.

You can get deals. I said that. But a good GR is NOT cheap. I can get one cheap from a breeder without a health guarantee and poor breeding. Hip/elbow dysplasia, eye problems, and heart disease is common in GRs. A good breeder, who won't be cheap, charges a lot of money for those guarantees.

The closest breeder to my house in a quick google search resulted with this:
http://classifieds2.breedersclub.net...age=out&id=747

"$1000.00 and up"

and
http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory...32ed-7ee1.aspx

"$1200"
I don't know what to tell you other than you're being scalped. Both our goldens were professionally bred, health guarantee, yadda yadda yadda. Professional breeder, heck, we picked him up FROM the breeder's place, no history of hip problems, bla bla bla bla. $350. Even.

**** man, next time you want a golden, let me know and I'll go pick one up for you, and mail him over to save you $600 or so.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 05:35 PM

Til Cody said a couple of posts ago that it was a 'French' Bulldog, I was looking at that pic, thinking, that thing is not a Bulldog, its another breed. My auntie breeds Bulldogs, so I've seen a lot of Bulldogs, from nearly new born to full grown... British Bulldogs! they have a more scrunched up face, and don't have the pointed ears, to be honest, I'd never heard of French Bulldogs before, I'd never have thought of the dog Cody is talking about as a Bulldog at all.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 20, 2005, 05:38 PM

How about admitting you're wrong?

What does "professionally bred" mean? Doesn't that just mean someone gets paid for it? Isn't that kind of redundant?

I buy local.

And explain that "our" thing again for me. I still don't get it.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 05:47 PM

Question: Why not give her back to her old owner?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 05:53 PM

Yeah, they're expensive. People have been emailing me and telling me that French bulldogs are expensive. I just did a Google and I guess they're right! I had no idea.

Here's another picture of her out on my lawn...what a sweetie...how could you look into her eyes and deny her a surgery that would make her feel better?

That is so cute Cody. It shows what a good and caring mother that you are.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 06:00 PM

Cute Bulldog is an oxymoron…
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

babyxcaitlyn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2005, 06:05 PM

Cody Dawg, I think that was a wonderful thing you did for the frenchie. I myself love bulldogs, both French and English. I wish I lived in Florida Hope you find the pup a wonderful home. Here is a picture of my Loki when he was a little pup.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 06:11 PM

A nice little dog. But I still envy you for your little Jake! He's soooo cute. I didn't have the chance to reply to your post in the "ugliest dog contest" thread, where I saw his picture. Really, really sweet.

re-post for emphasis:

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 06:17 PM

My dog says all your dogs suck:

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by kick52
Kitty pic which doesn't hotlink.
Sweet!

If there's one thing wrong with this dull grey old rock we're on, it's that there ain't enough kitties on it.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2005, 06:23 PM

Oh. And what's with all the tiny little dogs? Is NN turning into a Paris Hilton training camp or something?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 06:26 PM

When I walk him around campgrounds, it is a big hoot. Me: 6'5" 370lbs (i'm not losing!!!!!!!!!!!); Buster: 4lbs and some change. Ha!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 06:27 PM

Why not give her back to her old owner?

Well, because first of all, he is between jobs. Second of all, she spends all of her days alone without him because he works long hours and he is also looking for another job. Thirdly, she may need another eye surgery and if she does the person who owns has to be able to afford to pay for it. Fourthly, she needs ongoing care. For instance, she needs artificial tears put into her eyes three times a day and right now she also needs antibiotic ointment put into her eyes twice daily.

Lastly, should she go back to being alone or go live with a family or with a person who has time to give her attention and also has the financial resources to continue her care?

However, you are onto something: I did tell this person that if I kept her in our home and he was able to show that his life has become stable that maybe she should go back to live with him. Once I verbalized that he said, "Well, that's a nice thought, but I do not need anymore dogs. This taught me an important lesson."

He's a REALLY nice guy, actually. I think a lot of him. Do you know, he offered to help me with animal rescue when he has some spare time? I wouldn't prevail upon him but he offered and I could tell that he was/is sincere. He's just a person who had good intentions, bought a dog, and circumstances presented that were negative and he couldn't cope with them. He's not a bad guy and I actually sent around his resume to people thinking that it might help him get his foot in the door in his chosen profession (which is news media.)

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Sweet!

If there's one thing wrong with this dull grey old rock we're on, it's that there ain't enough kitties on it.
Fixed.

one month:

one year:

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 06:31 PM

Well she is quite eccentric so maybe after she kills her dog she will give a bunch of money to michael jackson foundation to ease her conscience.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 06:32 PM

They all are - including the little Yorkie in my sig. He had a double hernia and needed ear surgery too. He's in a wonderful home now with a chef who cooks food for him for his meals. All dogs and cats deserve a chance at a healthy life just like we do!

Does this mean you don't have Jake anymore Cody? Do you ever get to keep pets permanently?

Oh wait... are you/your hubbie the pro chef?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 06:32 PM

babyxcaitlyn and residentEvil:

TOO CUTE!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2005, 06:33 PM

That cat is durned rootin' tootin' cutin' too!

Forum Links
Forum Rules