Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Oooops I deleted my Recycle Bin in Vista

Oooops I deleted my Recycle Bin in Vista
cutlassvillager
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2008, 09:17 PM

I was trying to work quickly while I was in Vista (I like to spend the least amount of time in there possible ) and instead of going to "Empty Recycle Bin" I clicked "Delete" and now I don't have a recycle bin anymore. How do I get it back? I looked around in the Control Panels.
Quicksilver G4 NewerTech 1.6 GHz | 1.5 GB RAM | 500/160/40GB Internal HDs | Radeon 9800 Pro | 10.5.8
MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 320 GB WD Scorpio Black | 10.6.2/Windows 7 Professional | 22" LCD

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 11:34 PM

Sorry, I can't help you, I'm bussy ROTFLMAO

-t

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 11:40 PM

at least it's in the right forum.

step by step recovery

btw: turtle. shouldn't you have said: ROTFLMSO?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 10, 2008, 08:36 AM

Great find, brass. At first I had thought that "Ask Leo" was about Leo Laporte, but it looks like this Leo is very helpful too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2008, 11:06 AM

How in the world is that possible?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2008, 11:10 AM

I know, right? What a paradox.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2008, 12:56 PM

I guess in the world of Windows such absurdities are common place.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2008, 04:50 PM

That is silly. I'm almost certain you couldn't delete it in XP.
It almost seems that one of the reasons is so that people can get rid of it easier, since it's hard to find the panel where you turn it on and off.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2008, 06:33 PM

thanks glenn. I was thinking about telling the OP that once it's gone, you can't do anything and have to reinstall windows. then i thought it through and posted the above link

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 10, 2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
It almost seems that one of the reasons is so that people can get rid of it easier, since it's hard to find the panel where you turn it on and off.
Apparently the Vista designers thought that increased interface flexibility was really important, and that it wasn't that big a problem to get the thing back.

You CAN remove the Recycle Bin from the desktop in XP. All it takes is TweakUI for XP (free from MS) or something else that can alter that particular registry setting. I ALWAYS hide it because I NEVER drag stuff to it in XP. But that ain't an accidental action-you have to get into the guts of the OS (the Registry) to do it. Vista, for all it's "Are you sure? Really? Really truly? You mean it?" prompts before you do very simple stuff, should not make it that easy to so easy to hide the icon that you can do it accidentally.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cutlassvillager  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2008, 12:35 AM

Thanks for the help! I felt pretty stupid deleting my recycle bin....and then not being able to find how to bring it back. That is kind of strange that you could delete the recycle bin....but with no recycle bin where does it go?....how does it delete to itself? hmmm haha
Quicksilver G4 NewerTech 1.6 GHz | 1.5 GB RAM | 500/160/40GB Internal HDs | Radeon 9800 Pro | 10.5.8
MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 320 GB WD Scorpio Black | 10.6.2/Windows 7 Professional | 22" LCD

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2008, 01:14 AM

Can't you just open it and drag it back to the Desktop ?

Oh, no, wait, nevermind

-t

Koralatov
Senior User
Apr 20, 2008, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I just tried it in XP, and I can say with reasonable certainty that it's not possible to delete your recycle bin. Why that would change in Vista is beyond me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules