Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > External Blu-ray in Win 7

External Blu-ray in Win 7
cutlassvillager
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2009, 12:37 AM

I have a first generation MacBook Pro. If I buy an external USB Blu-ray drive such as this, will I be able to play Blu-ray discs in Windows 7? Can I use VLC or Windows Media Player, or do I have to buy software to play retail Blu-ray disc? I have Windows 7 Professional.
Quicksilver G4 NewerTech 1.6 GHz | 1.5 GB RAM | 500/160/40GB Internal HDs | Radeon 9800 Pro | 10.5.8
MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 320 GB WD Scorpio Black | 10.6.2/Windows 7 Professional | 22" LCD

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2009, 05:17 PM

A review says:
Pros: Very small and portable. It works great with my Samsung netbook. Comes with the Cyberlink DVD Suite to play Blurays, etc. Powered by USB so not power adaptors to carry around. It uses a quality LG SuperMultiBlue drive. It seemed to be pretty quiet overall. Nice bluray drive if you need a portable one.

cutlassvillager  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2010, 01:26 AM

Just an update...
I ended up buying the drive and have had zero success. I had many issues getting the included software to work. I installed it, then it said it needed to update right away in order to play the disc (any disc I tried), but the update installer would give an error. Then trying to uninstall the software gave me the same error, making it very difficult to uninstall. I emailed back and forth with tech support for about a week and finally got the latest software to work, but then whenever I went to play a blu-ray I only got audio and no video (just a black screen). Since my x1600 isn't technically supported in Windows 7, I went back to a fresh install (with all the updates) of Windows Vista and still had the same problem. At that point CyberLink told me to consult my manufacturer, which leaves me at a dead end (Windows 7 + 1st Gen MacBook Pro + Apple + blu-ray = good luck). I've already filed for an RMA through NewEgg. I just thought I would give everybody a heads up before considering buying this for their MacBook Pro.
Quicksilver G4 NewerTech 1.6 GHz | 1.5 GB RAM | 500/160/40GB Internal HDs | Radeon 9800 Pro | 10.5.8
MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 320 GB WD Scorpio Black | 10.6.2/Windows 7 Professional | 22" LCD

Forum Links
Forum Rules