Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook Trade-up Advice

Powerbook Trade-up Advice
Kesey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2004, 06:21 PM

So I have a like new 15" G4 1.25 GHz and with all of these rumors of new powerbooks on the horizon I wanted to get some opinions.

If I am not worried about losing $300-$500 for a new Powerbook, what have people found the best way to sell their like new machine?

Of course, Ebay - but between them and Paypal I'd end up losing a large percentage and would rather not deal with that.

Any input? What have people done and liked/not liked?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2004, 06:59 PM

do you *have* to have the newest and greatest powerbook? a 1.25ghz 15" powerbook is nothing to sneeze at. a 800mhz ibook has a few more good years left in it.

but if you really have to sell it, i have found that finding a friend, or someone, to sell it to works really well and you do not have to pay ebay and paypal charges. otherwise, ebay is pretty much your only other option. maybe the marketplace here?

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2004, 07:03 PM

I would just stick with your PB until the G5's are released...The next update for the 15" will be nothing more than a small speed bump...Definately not worth the trouble and you probably wont lose much money at all when you do decide to sell it...Just take a look at how much the older TiBook's are selling for on eBay.

Kesey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2004, 12:42 AM

I was actually thinking about switching to the 17" so that would be my main motive, but if it means giving ebay/paypal $150+ dollars then in a year or two when I feel like paying for a machine I'll have two, because I am not a fan of ebay.

As far as waiting for G5's are concerned, I'm guessing I'll have to have a machine inbetween then that isn't going to be this one, but boy would I like to be surprised and have them out sooner.

I'm actually surprised that I've only heard 2 opinions, interesting...

Tomster
Senior User
Apr 17, 2004, 01:20 AM

Are you in an area that has www.craigslist.org I have bought and sold Powerbooks at prices higher than the average on ebay. Reason? No fees and you get to see the item before money changes hands. You can flip your current one for a decent price, then try to get a deal on your new Powerbook to minimize the price of the upgrade. The tough part about selling a rather current product is the price point on Apple refurb units. You will be losing more than 300-500 if you want a completive price.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2004, 01:49 AM

dude -

sell your powerbook to www.macsolutions.com

I sold them mine last summer

they always give a decent price - the process takes a couple weeks, but I was very happy with their service

in addition - you might be able to break a deal with them by trading in your old PB and cash for a new one

anyhoo -- check them out
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

Kesey  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2004, 09:27 AM

Craigslist, good idea! I will also check out Macsolutions. Thanks for the suggestions!

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2004, 03:56 PM

You may be surprised by the idea that some 17" owners may find their 17" too big and wish for a 15" like yours. I would post on the forum want add sections, advertising for not a sale but a trade, so you may pay even less than you think for a used 17" if that's what you are interested in.

In my case I casually mentioned to a co-worker that I was thinking of putting my 667 DVI up for sale on the internet and she told a friend; I sold my 667 that same day and schemed on getting my 17" which I have now.

Tomster
Senior User
Apr 17, 2004, 11:04 PM

I forgot to mention one thing. If you are going to trade up, sell your current rig BEFORE the new Powerbooks are announced. Once the new models are out, the price on the past line plummets.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules