Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Best Hard Drive Cloning Procedure

Best Hard Drive Cloning Procedure
cutlassvillager
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2009, 06:50 PM

I am going to replace the factory 80 gig hard drive in my 1st gen MacBook Pro. I bought a WD Scorpio Black 320 GB hard drive (WD3200BEKT) with an external enclosure. My original plan was to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old hard drive to the new one. Will using Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the drive defragment the information as well? My understanding is that a block-level copy will keep the information fragmented, so I should make sure it does a file-level copy. Would it be better to use restore in disk utility, a backup from Time Machine, or SuperDuper! instead?

Thank you!
Quicksilver G4 NewerTech 1.6 GHz | 1.5 GB RAM | 500/160/40GB Internal HDs | Radeon 9800 Pro | 10.5.8
MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 320 GB WD Scorpio Black | 10.6.2/Windows 7 Professional | 22" LCD

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2009, 07:08 PM

The easiest and probably best way to do it is to use Disk Utility's Restore tab. Check the "Erase destination" check box if you want to do a block copy, leave it blank if you prefer a regular file copy.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

cutlassvillager  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2009, 04:57 PM

Sounds Good. Thanks for the quick response! The hard drive should arrive tomorrow.
Quicksilver G4 NewerTech 1.6 GHz | 1.5 GB RAM | 500/160/40GB Internal HDs | Radeon 9800 Pro | 10.5.8
MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 320 GB WD Scorpio Black | 10.6.2/Windows 7 Professional | 22" LCD

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2009, 04:24 AM

I'll second CharlesS' suggestion. DiskUtility > Restore is the safest and fastest way to make a clone. It's free too.

If you are booted from the old drive when you do the restore, you will get a file copy in any case. Block copies are only performed when the drive can be unmounted, which the boot partition obviously can't.

Also, don't worry too much about file fragmentation. If your drive has enough free space OS X will automatically defragment files when it becomes necessary. Upgrading to a new drive with lots of free space should solve any fragmentation issues you might be having.

Forum Links
Forum Rules