Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Hard Drive Error?

Hard Drive Error?
cutlassvillager
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2009, 11:48 PM

My parents have a Quicksilver PowerMac G4 (867Mhz) running Mac OS 10.5.6. They have been having problems with the computer lately. Firefox is unexpectedly quitting often, time machine backups take a long time, the computer seems to be acting slow and many software updates get errors after they are done downloading (through software update). I also tried downloading the Mac OS 10.5.7 combo update, which failed verification when opening. These all seem to be symptoms of a hard drive failing. I have repaired disk permissions and verified the disk through disk utility with no problems. They have SMART reporter running and doesn't give any errors, but then I downloaded SMART utility which gave back two errors. I took a screen shot of the errors reported in SMART utility. Could these errors be causing the problems? Do I need to get a new hard drive?

Quicksilver G4 NewerTech 1.6 GHz | 1.5 GB RAM | 500/160/40GB Internal HDs | Radeon 9800 Pro | 10.5.8
MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 320 GB WD Scorpio Black | 10.6.2/Windows 7 Professional | 22" LCD

reader50
Administrator
Jun 9, 2009, 12:54 AM

Those HD parameters do not seem very suspicious to me. I'd be much more suspicious of a RAM stick failing. Boot to the Apple Hardware Test and run the extended memory test. See if it finds anything.

ps - run the other tests too, just in case. A failing HD would most likely show other symptoms. Failed checksums can also trace to bad RAM, failing CPU, or a really unstable network connection.

Forum Links
Forum Rules