Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > hard drive problems with PB 12" rev B!!!!

hard drive problems with PB 12" rev B!!!!
chrikenn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 01:30 AM

I have had my 12" rev b PB for about 2 months now, and never had any issues with it. About two days ago the hard drive started making really LOUD, clicky noises whenever it would seek, and it got extremely slow. I was worried, but after about 10 minutes it went back to normal, and was normal for the past 2 days. Today, however, when i tried to wake it up from "Sleep" mode, it was extremely loud and slow, and when I tried to reboot it, it would not restart. Bascially, it definitely seems as though there is some physical defect with the hard drive (at least i think that is what it is -- anything else that it could possibly be making noises like that?). Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm planning on taking it in for warranty work tomorrow...

and on a side note, i can only think of one possible cause of the problem. over thanksgiving I placed a sony 3-piece CD player near my laptop. One of the speakers is about 6" from the laptop, and i have the laptop hooked to the A/V of the system and i use it's speakers. This is probably not happening, but is it POSSIBLE that the speakers are not magnetically shielded, and that somehow the magnetic field from the speakers has destroyed the hard drive? I highly doubt it, but perhaps someone with a better knowledge of physics could explain better... can magnets hurt anything besides hard drive?

thanks!
chris

Aluminum
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 06:57 AM

congrats, your hd motor mechanism is done just like mine was about 3 weeks ago. I had to send it in to apple and they got a new hd in my unit. It scares me to see an hd go like that under 2 months, its making me backup more often than I usually do. Good luck with the repair.
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2003, 08:19 AM

Yeah, your hard drive is dead. People on my campus have been having with the toshiba units, both in the mac and in toshiba laptops. What brand of HD is in your computer?

dannyillusion
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 09:26 AM

Yup... happened to my Ibook aswell.
Apple replaced the hd and all new information was lost...
Sucks!!!
But that's portable life for you.

Most certainly it is completely dead but I read somewhere that users have been able to salvage info through Firewire target mode. (Of course their problems might have been completely different than broken hd)
Might be worth a try.

/D
DI

chrikenn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 01:39 PM

yep, mine is a toshiba. how long should this repair take? Kinda annoyiing.. especially during finals week. Guess i'll be borrowing friends' computers to write my last few papers...

Aluminum
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 04:05 PM

hey man I understand your situation. I am a student as well, fortunately mine took a crap 3 days after I turned in a 30 page report. Apple impressed me as I turned my laptop into an Apple Store on the day before thanksgiving with was a wed and I had my unit back on tues of the following week. Well some people might think thats a long time. I was quite impressed. It just really scares me that this hd is going to crap out as well.
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

Forum Links
Forum Rules