Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Using iSync to get ready for Tiger

Using iSync to get ready for Tiger
Buck_W
Senior User
Apr 26, 2005, 08:26 AM

I've just begun using iSync and want to be ready when Tiger arrives. I've run iSync and (hopefully) now all my Safari bookmarks, Address Book contacts, and iCal calendars are on my .Mac sever. I'm planning on doing a clean install of Tiger. When I run iSync for the first time (after installing Tiger), will it automatically download all those saved items to my computer?

In other words, is there anything else that I should have done? I don't want lose anything simply because I am not completely familiar with how the application works. Thanks for your help!
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

mishap
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Buck_W
I've just begun using iSync and want to be ready when Tiger arrives. I've run iSync and (hopefully) now all my Safari bookmarks, Address Book contacts, and iCal calendars are on my .Mac sever. I'm planning on doing a clean install of Tiger. When I run iSync for the first time (after installing Tiger), will it automatically download all those saved items to my computer?

In other words, is there anything else that I should have done? I don't want lose anything simply because I am not completely familiar with how the application works. Thanks for your help!
I would do an extra backup just in case to an ipod or some other external drive--just in case.

for the isync stuff backup these folders:

~/Library/Safari
~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook (or just export your vCards)
~/Library/Calendars

Anyway you should be able to sync your home mac with the data from .mac when you sync for the first time in iSync.

let us know how it works

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2005, 08:50 AM

Since you have .Mac, you can use Backup and copy items over to your .Mac account (or iPod, CD, etc). I saved my iTunes playlist, my Safari settings (for 1.3) and bookmarks, my Address Book and iCal info and my Keychain settings.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Apr 26, 2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Since you have .Mac, you can use Backup and copy items over to your .Mac account (or iPod, CD, etc). I saved my iTunes playlist, my Safari settings (for 1.3) and bookmarks, my Address Book and iCal info and my Keychain settings.
Is there a difference between using Backup to copy items to my .Mac account and using iSync? After running iSync, I checked and all my data is on my .Mac account. I guess my original question has more to do with iSync itself. I know you can use it to keep multiple computers "Synced" together. I am interested in knowing whether or not I can use it to get all my data back on my original computer following the clean install of Tiger.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2005, 10:52 AM

It's basically the same but with a few differences. With Backup, you can save things not factored in such as iTunes playlists, Safari settings and Keychain settings (basically what I use but it can be configured to save just about everything on the HD if you have the space for it). And you can use Backup to restore these items as well.

Oh, and do something about your iPhoto library and if you've done any iLife/iWork stuff (I have about a dozen templates of my own in Pages and a few things in iMove and GarageBand that I moved over to my external HD until Tiger's installed).

ehunt
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2005, 03:25 PM

Unrelated by sort of related...I used Backup to save everything and then restored it (Mail, iCal, AddressBook) everything worked like a charm except for Pixadex. It seems when Backup backs everything up it doesn't take along custum icons so my Pixadex folder came back with 2000+ blank folders, d-oh! Had a backup using Toast a few months back so I was able to recover alot of them but still lost a few gems..including the one I had of the new Tiger Disc with the big Silver X in anticipation of the next CandyBar Update which I can't remeber where I got it....Son of a....
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2005, 02:41 AM

CandyBar 2.5 is out.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2005, 02:41 AM

Ehunt, you sig is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy tooooooooooo loooooooooonnnnnnngggggggg.

ehunt
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Ehunt, you sig is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy tooooooooooo loooooooooonnnnnnngggggggg.
Hah, I love it dude! Been using it since 10.0 though and looking to come up with a new one when Tiger is official!
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules