Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Google Desktop compared to Spotlight

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
Poll Options:
Google Desktop 1 votes (3.13%)
Spotlight 20 votes (62.50%)
Unsure 11 votes (34.38%)
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll
Google Desktop compared to Spotlight
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2005, 10:07 PM

I know, I know, Apples(tm) to oranges. But let's go ahead and compare Google Desktop (Windows only) to OSX Spotlight. If you have used both of these features, which one do you prefer the most?

IMHO, Google Desktop is more convenient than Spotlight, and thus I prefer it. For example, when I want to hear a song, rather than going into iTunes or Winamp and running a search for it, I click "home" in my browser which directs me to google, then I click desktop, type in the first word, and in less than half a second I have the song right in front of me to click on. The whole process allows me to stay inside the web-browser and takes 5 seconds tops.

You can even shorten the process by having the search field put directly into the taskbar, or have it float in a tiny window near the corner.

The one advantage that Spotlight has is that the results are more neatly categorised and easier to tell apart from on another, and this is probably because it is a finished product while Desktop is still in beta. But Spotlight is not very responsive on my computer, it takes a while to cycle through everything, so I normally don't use it.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 26, 2005, 10:11 PM

Spotlight is lightning fast, and has way more features than Google Desktop.... have you tried spotlight?

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2005, 12:08 AM

I guess i just like things the old way. I know where I store my information so that I can find it later without those aids.

mishap
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by TailsToo
I guess i just like things the old way. I know where I store my information so that I can find it later without those aids.
Right, that is a common argument, but consider that it may just be faster to hit command-space and type a few keywords to launch a document.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
For example, when I want to hear a song, rather than going into iTunes or Winamp and running a search for it, I click "home" in my browser which directs me to google, then I click desktop, type in the first word, and in less than half a second I have the song right in front of me to click on.
You can also search for songs in the normal Spotlight window without going to iTunes first. And the Spotlight window is opened by pressing option-command-space which seems to be much easier than clicking home, clicking desktop in a web browser.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2005, 10:34 AM

IMHO, Google Desktop is more convenient than Spotlight, and thus I prefer it. For example, when I want to hear a song, rather than going into iTunes or Winamp and running a search for it, I click "home" in my browser which directs me to google, then I click desktop, type in the first word, and in less than half a second I have the song right in front of me to click on.
Um... that's fine, but you're not comparing Google Desktop to Spotlight, you're comparing it to iTunes or WinAmp. As for convenience, with iTunes:
1) Open iTunes.
2) Click on the Search field.
3) Type the first word of the title/artist/whatever.
4) Click on the song.

Your method:
1) Click on "Home"
2) Click on "Desktop"
3) Click on the search field.
4) Type in the first word.
5) Click on the song.

Seems to me that iTunes wins. Let's check Spotlight out:
1) Click on the Spotlight icon.
2) Type the first word.
3) Click on the song.

It seems to me that Spotlight is in fact the most convenient method.
The whole process allows me to stay inside the web-browser and takes 5 seconds tops.
Ah, so this is what it's really about. "But mommy, I don't wanna run two apps! I WANNA RUN ONE!!!!!!!1!!!!"
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 27, 2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
You can also search for songs in the normal Spotlight window without going to iTunes first. And the Spotlight window is opened by pressing option-command-space which seems to be much easier than clicking home, clicking desktop in a web browser.
And you can change that, too: I have mine set so that Spotlight pops open when I press F1.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Ah, so this is what it's really about. "But mommy, I don't wanna run two apps! I WANNA RUN ONE!!!!!!!1!!!!"

The whole purpose of Spotlight & Desktop is convenience. Why would I prefer the one that is less convenient?

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2005, 12:26 PM

The whole purpose of Spotlight & Desktop is convenience. Why would I prefer the one that is less convenient?
Yes, but how is pressing command-space bar less convenient than your method of browsing to it then clicking 'desktop'?
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 27, 2005, 12:33 PM

I disagree with Millennium on this particular thing, actually: I'd consider Desktop running another app, 'cause you'd have to open at least another window (or open a browser altogether), if I understand correctly. Plus, it takes a lot more mouse work. Spotlight, on the other hand, I wouldn't consider 'running another app', since it's already there at all times, just a part of the system.

As Millennium said, Desktop would be open browser, type URL, click on search field (perhaps?), type, enter, and then mouse click on the one you want.

With Spotlight, it's one click, type, enter, and you're done (mostly; sometimes you have to move down a few results before getting to the one you wanted, of course).

I'm with the “Spotlight is more convenient” crowd. For me, it would be five/six steps (mixed mouse/keyboard) vs. four steps (keyboard only).

SVass
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2005, 12:54 PM

Sherlock worked better than Spotlight for indexing data in files and names of files. sam

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín
I disagree with Millennium on this particular thing, actually: I'd consider Desktop running another app, 'cause you'd have to open at least another window (or open a browser altogether), if I understand correctly.
The way I have it set, I use desktop search through the browser, which is more convenient for me because when I'm using the computer, I almost always have a browser window open.

If you don't like that, then you can put the search field into the taskbar, just like how Spotlight is in the menubar. As you type, results show up in a menu.

christ
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2005, 02:52 PM

Google desktop runs on a mac?
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2005, 03:06 PM

The way I have it set, I use desktop search through the browser, which is more convenient for me because when I'm using the computer, I almost always have a browser window open.

If you don't like that, then you can put the search field into the taskbar, just like how Spotlight is in the menubar. As you type, results show up in a menu.
yeah, but spotlight is always in the menu bar, no matter what app has the focus, and you can always just tap cmd+space (which has to be one of the easiest possible shortcuts) and immediately start typing your query. no switching to the browser (if it isn't active) and clicking on a box in the task bar before you can start typing.

"I start fires!"

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2005, 04:57 PM

Haven't used Google Desktop, but voted Spotlight. Can't imagine to vote different if I had used it...

Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2005, 07:19 PM

Is everyone else able to search for songs using Spotlight? They don't seem to show up, even if I search for the file's name.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2005, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
yeah, but spotlight is always in the menu bar, no matter what app has the focus.
So is Google Desktop if you select the taskbar search option. Then it will always be there, even if you restart your computer. The search field is visible in all apps at the bar at the bottom of the screen, similar to Spotlight's menubar button in OSX.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2005, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Synotic
Is everyone else able to search for songs using Spotlight?
Yes, everybody is able to search songs using Spotlight. There is no advantage of Google Desktop here.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2005, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Yes, everybody is able to search songs using Spotlight. There is no advantage of Google Desktop here.
Perhaps I should have been more specific: Why can't I find my songs?

Messing around with it, it seems that it is able to find the two new songs that I added to my iTunes today. But everything else, it soundly ignores I can't even find them with command-f. It's not terribly important, but a bit odd.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 11:22 PM

I say Spotlight, because via the Finder, one can add "Spotlight Comments" to any file, which become indexed into Spotlight. Can't do that AFAIK with Google's Desktop Search (which I have installed on my PC, BTW).

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2005, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Synotic
Perhaps I should have been more specific: Why can't I find my songs?

Messing around with it, it seems that it is able to find the two new songs that I added to my iTunes today. But everything else, it soundly ignores I can't even find them with command-f. It's not terribly important, but a bit odd.
I realized this same problem was happening to me a couple of days ago (made a post about it in the Mac OS forum). Basically, open a terminal window and type "mdimport /Users/[your username]/Music" (without the quotes, of course) and that will reindex your music folder.

"I start fires!"

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2005, 05:12 AM

or just drag your music folder into the don't index items for the spotlight prefs, then drag it out. It'll reindex and you're good to go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules