Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > ROM in the jungle

ROM in the jungle
asana
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2001, 01:58 PM

Friends:
Been working at this for 2 days. Upgrading an iMac 266 with 8.5.1 installed. Run Norton check and optimized. Then partitioned drive with hard Disk Tool 4 with latest Device Data. Installed 9.0.4 on new partition, and got:
"This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Use the latest installer to update this disk for this model."
Scurried to get iMac Firmware Update 1.2, resinstalled and I am getting
"The 'Mac OS ROM' file on this startup disk is too old to be used with Mac OS 9.0.4. The installer can be used to repair this disk."
The installer does says that no update is required, but when I run System Profiler on the partition with 8.5.1 it shows Mac OS ROM file version 1.5!

Tried to find the ROM updates because I know since the iMac hardware-specific code still exists in ROM firmware for startup routines, while one part of the Boot ROM now contains Open Firmware.
High-level ToolBox software is no longer in this Boot ROM but is now software "ToolBox ROM Image".

Anybody have any idea how to update the ROM so the second partition with 9.0.4 will boot?

Here is another little snuffu. The Mac OS ROM Update 1.0 replaces 1.4 with 1.6, BUT it have 8.6 installed.
Do you see a way to do this without installing 8.6, which I don't have?
Greetings form the jungle where I have absolutely no one to ask...
Thanks for any and all help.
asana

Forum Links
Forum Rules