Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Using Apple USB DDK to fix Palm Hotsync in 9.0.4

Using Apple USB DDK to fix Palm Hotsync in 9.0.4
apreston
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2000, 12:29 PM

Hello,

I started a new thread on Hotsyncing Palms and Handsprings over USB because the original two were both quite long. The idea posted in the "Palm Sync fix - it works" forum to install the USB Card Support 1.4.1 drivers, which didn't work for Macs with built in USB, gave me the idea of trying the Apple USB Driver Developer Kit to get the newest, greatest builds of the USB extensions and libraries.

I downloaded ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Develo...v1.4.1.sea.hqx . In the unstuffed folder is a folder named "Extensions-AppleBuilt" containing, among other things, new versions of "SerialShimLib" and "HID Library". I dropped those into my extensions folder and haven't had any trouble hotsyncing since. These libraries are version 1.4.1f4 - development builds - so if using development software is something you are uncomfortable with then I recommend against this idea. Otherwise, they took me from hard-crashing whenever I pushed the Hotsync button to problem-free operation.

I don't want to claim that I've found the cure-all for Palm's ills. I would like to know if any has/just tried this idea and if it fixed their problems.

Thanks,
Andrew.

[This message has been edited by apreston (edited 04-18-2000).]

mcdoken
Apr 19, 2000, 10:31 PM

I've tried the recommended fix on my G4 400 at work. It didn't do a thing. I was not experiencing crashes as you were, but it was and is still timing out of the HotSync operation. Oh well.

apreston  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2000, 11:11 PM

It seems I was just having a lucky streak. After hotsyncing about 15 times between the evening before I posted and the morning after I returned to the world of hard crashes the following evening. If you haven't tried my idea, don't bother. If you have any idea why my computer actually freezes when I Hotsync instead of timing out, I'm all ears.

Andrew.

Philippbt
Apr 20, 2000, 03:26 PM

Didn't do it for me either

rebrown
Apr 20, 2000, 07:49 PM

FYI, I'm hotsyncing my Palm IIIx fine with OS 9.0.4, but I'm doing it through the IR port on my Pismo. I guess that means I'm bypassing all the problematic USB stuff.

gardnern
Apr 21, 2000, 11:25 AM

I just downloaded the latest HotSync softeware from HandSpring (released today, you have to have your serial number to d/l) and syncing appears to be back in a working state, including backups! The version on the software appears to be 2.6.

Forum Links
Forum Rules