Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Win2K is much better than OS 9

Win2K is much better than OS 9
ArumDawn
Dec 28, 2000, 08:14 AM

I have two notebooks.
One is pismo running 9.04 with 192mb
The other is fujitsu b142 running W2K with 96mb
Unfortunately, b142 gives me better perfomance than pismo despite lower memory.

For example, flash movies on pismo run slower than those of PC with W2K.
Not only flash movies, but most of applications.
W2K is really stable, but OS9 crashes more than once a day~

People say that macintosh is much easier to use than pc. that is absolutely true, but is it really true that macintosh is more powerful than pc?

Now that pc can do whatever macintosh can do, we don't have to use macintosh anymore I think.

snippet-pacoman
Dec 28, 2000, 08:26 AM

Hello,

I have to agree and disagree. Mac OS 9 has been found to be VERY slow and unstable due to all the junk in it. Second, W2K has around 60,000 known bugs in it, not pretty. The up-coming 9.1 and final X will be much faster and stable than ANY version of windows.

Matthew, www.totallymac.8m.com

altoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2000, 12:40 PM

Both OSs have strengths and weaknesses. The fact that W2k has been built with NT technology make it an OS w/ more features for network integration into NT networks - which is nice in this Windows dominated world.

I am a Mac users, always have been, however, I handle IT for several small firms and not-for-profits in NYC so all my professional work is with Windows. Recently I've installed W2k in an office of about 10 computers all running peer-to-peer network interactions (server to be installed in Feb) and I've found W2k to be great on about 3 of the machines, troublesome on 7, and of those 7, 2 have required a total reinstallation (one of which was initially upgraded from W98, the other had a clean install of W2k) and 1 other has since required a lot of troubleshooting. Beyond that, I've installed it on my roommates laptop which has been handling it fine with no serious problems.

Overall, "per capita", I've seen a higher number of more serious problems with W2k than I've seen or heard about with MacOS 9.0.4.

My 2�

-Al

SillyPooh
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2000, 01:19 PM

I don't think it's a good time for talking about OS business. In a couple of days, Apple is gonna unveal many major enhancements concerning it's OS division. Wait and see.

Am I right to say Win2K is much more recent than OS9?

But, as Altoid previously said, both of them have their weak points. Concerning speed, you're not talking OS anymore but hardware and software implementation. Completely different. It is VERY hard to compare OSes speed because the tasks carried out by them are casual and fast, like memory management. So you cannot take movie performance speed and compare - flash movies is a joke.

What you can compare is an overall reliability feeling, either you feel better with this or that platform and you think that the whole machine and software behaves faster or not.

Concerning ease of use, however, anyone will tell you.

Gorilla Kahn
Dec 28, 2000, 02:23 PM

Ah, but look at the evidence.
Windows ME resembles Mac OS 9's structure and restore functions.

Ah, yes, another struggle, in the operating system war..
ah.....excellent. But later! will there be a victor?

SillyPooh
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2000, 02:31 PM

Ah, but look at the evidence.
Windows ME resembles Mac OS 9's structure and restore functions.
Really? That wouldn't be the first thing they rip-off...

bleen
Senior User
Dec 28, 2000, 02:46 PM

The true competion should be OS X vs. Win2k, and we all know who the victor there will be...

[This message has been edited by bleen (edited 12-28-2000).]

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2000, 07:37 PM

Try playing games on that w2k box +)

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2000, 10:46 PM

No kidding. My friend found W2K on Hotline a long time ago - and when reading the install notes found that he could not use any of his games and some of his other programs as well.

Originally posted by oscar:
Try playing games on that w2k box +)
Change your world and you will change your mind.

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2000, 01:55 AM

you gonna get youslef killed posting that type of comment in a mac forum

the mac os is faster than any windows os, even if it is really slower...got it

[This message has been edited by Jsnuff1 (edited 12-29-2000).]

Cipher13
Dec 29, 2000, 06:38 AM

Damn right
But I mean, really, it IS faster!!

Cipher13

noliv
Senior User
Dec 29, 2000, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by ArumDawn:
Now that pc can do whatever macintosh can do, we don't have to use macintosh anymore I think.
I already heard that...

Now with windows, we don't have to use mac anymore
Now with windows95, we don't have to use mac anymore
Now with windows98, we don't have to use mac anymore
Now with windows2k, we don't have to use mac anymore
Now with windows3047, we don't have to use mac anymore

zzzZZZZzzzzzzzz
-noliv

Cipher13
Dec 29, 2000, 07:12 AM

Hehehe, well said dude

Cipher13

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2000, 08:03 AM

SillyPooh...
Ripping off is the sincerest form of flattery!
Hey, are we feeling flattered yet?
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2000, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Richard Pinneau:
SillyPooh...
Thats how he got 2543242 posts!
Change your world and you will change your mind.

SillyPooh
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2000, 11:37 AM

Thats how he got 2543242 posts!
my honest 300 or so posts?? by flatering M$??? wtf?
if 300 is already a lot for you, have a look at the others, like my friend Cipher for example...

Is it? I thought praising was... I wouldn't like people ripping-off my technology...
Maybe the word "rip-off" was too nice. Do you prefer "stealing"? But that's the same thing really... Micro$oft has been ripping-off Apple's OS since the first days and there has never been a proper court case for that. They never paid Apple much and probably never will.

I think "rip-off" is more appropriate since MS never copied entire code from Apple - that would be stealing. What they have done is take the ideas and try to do the same - and most of the time fail. For the little story, Apple copied their GUI from Xerox, but Apple has later on paid them a good amount of money and shares in the company.

But I've got a little something for you. Here, read this, taken as is from Woz's - Steve Wozniak, cofounder of Apple - web site:
Q from E-mail:
Woz, Did you feel wrong stealing outright from Xerox, and what did you think when Microsoft stole from Apple? Do you think Microsoft has a monopoly on the computer industry? ... snip

WOZ:
Steve Jobs made the case to Xerox PARC execs directly that they had great technology but that Apple knew how to make it affordable enough to change the world. This was very open. In the end, Xerox got a large block of Apple stock for sharing the technology. That's not stealing outright.

Apple didn't get any stock from Microsoft. Nor was Apple dealt with openly in this area by Microsoft.

Microsoft has a monopoly, although I don't know if your phrase "on the computer" industry is appropriate to append. Only Microsoft could force its browser on the world without competing head on with Netscape, for example. In the anti-trust trial, people can see that Microsoft does its utmost to bend the definition of words here. ...snip
http://www.woz.com/letters/pirates/12.html

SillyPooh
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2000, 11:38 AM

Oops! Double posting...

[This message has been edited by SillyPooh (edited 12-29-2000).]

Phaedrus
Dec 30, 2000, 10:18 PM

Seems to me that ya gotta compare what's available, that means W2K vs. Mac OS 9.0.4. I suspect that the first incarnation of OSX will be lacking the features of W2K, but then I don't know squat so don't quote me on that. Anyways, I'm getting fed up with Apple's overpriced, underpowered crap, and their buggy OS that crashes so often. I'm giving Apple one last chance with OSX, and if it doesn't totally floor me, then I'm saving thousands of dollars and moving to wintel. Yes, I'll have to troubleshoot a bit more, but when I'm spending the extra cash I saved in Cancun, that won't bother me one bit!

Forum Links
Forum Rules