Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Last season of Roseanne was a daydream?? Huh?

Last season of Roseanne was a daydream?? Huh?
Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2004, 12:12 AM

So I usually have Nick@Nite on when I go to bed, and the other night, Roseanne's last episode was on. I had never seen this episode 'cause the last season was so f@cked up, so I was surprised to see how they ended the series.

Since the show's been off the air forever, I won't worry about ruining it for everyone: Basically, everything after Darlene's wedding/Dan's heart attack was actually the book Roseanne was writing (you remember how Dan & the kids gave Roseanne a "Den" in the basement for her birthday one year?).

So the whole mother-is-a-lesbian, winning-the-lotto, etc. crap didn't actually happen (I know...nothing in the series *actually* happened, but you know what I meant). In 'reality' Dan died of that heart attack, and Roseanne retreated into herself after that to produce the book (the result of which is the rest of the series).

Now, I don't know about you, but I thought the show was one of the greatest things out there until that last season or so, so I don't know if the writers pulled the it-was-all-a-dream card when they realized their audience had grown weary of the weirdness, or if it was planned all along. But either way, I thought it was a nice touch. The end of the series shows Roseanne on her old couch, in her old living room in the old, crappy house - the way it should've ended all along.

Just thought I'd pass that on for discussion fodder, since I'm sure I'm not the only one who never found out how the series ended.

Oh, and LBK for mod!
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 12:18 AM

Well, it turned out Wonderfalls was just a wonderful Crystal Meth high, but they never got the chance to show that.

I never really liked Roseanne, it felt like the family you ran when you got to their house while walking home. So, it was not my piece of pie. Yet, that is an odd way to end it.

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2004, 12:20 AM

I missed the episode where Darlene had the baby and now I missed the last episode. What am I doing, working on school stuff, when I should be watching Roseanne!
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

Cipher13
Apr 18, 2004, 12:47 AM

I always hated Roseanne.

Terrible show, I thought. I hated every character with a passion.

That said, I thought the ending was very good.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2004, 01:15 AM

I loved that show, I skipped the last season because I thought the idea of them rich was stupid.

I heard about the last episode I was was really impressed by the idea, I would love to see it.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2004, 01:35 AM

"Roseanne" was definitely one of the best sitcoms ever. That last season, however, sucked with a vengeance (the show already had been in decline since Sara Gilbert left as a regular), and the finale was like a whole 'nother universe of suckiness. Even if the concept itself didn't set your teeth on edge, the execution was pitiful: you were never quite sure if you were listening to Roseanne Conner or the "real" Roseanne, i.e. character or creator, and Roseanne's accumulated wisdom consisted of warmed-over Oprah-isms ("No one could stop me but me," etc.). The whole thing just reeked of narcissism. I think as lousy series finales go, it's in a class of its own.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2004, 03:19 AM

The reason why the last couple of seasons sucked was because Rosanne Bar had to bring her troubled personal life into the show (she was one of the writers. Everyone else was too darn scared to speak up against her). It turned from being a show about a close, loving, dysfunctional family to *THE* Rosanne Show, where everything was about her and her man hate.

Do we seriously believe that Dan would cheat on Rosanne?? and that her mom (or Jackie, as revealed in the final episode) is a lesbian? C'mon! I totally resent her for ruining one of my favourite shows and favourite characters (eg. Dan, Darlene, Jackie). B*tch!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2004, 03:22 AM

Dan really tied the show together.

(i am lawling, really)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2004, 08:23 AM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2004, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
"Roseanne" was definitely one of the best sitcoms ever. That last season, however, sucked with a vengeance (the show already had been in decline since Sara Gilbert left as a regular), and the finale was like a whole 'nother universe of suckiness. Even if the concept itself didn't set your teeth on edge, the execution was pitiful: you were never quite sure if you were listening to Roseanne Conner or the "real" Roseanne, i.e. character or creator, and Roseanne's accumulated wisdom consisted of warmed-over Oprah-isms ("No one could stop me but me," etc.). The whole thing just reeked of narcissism. I think as lousy series finales go, it's in a class of its own.
To me, I guess, it only increased the realism of the finale. Not only didn't the Connors's lives have a storybook ending, but even the imagined storybook ending was from a particularly bad storybook!

So Roseanne (the character) finally made it as an author, but she wasn't very good at it. Looks like she'll be sticking around the restaurant for awhile longer.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2004, 03:10 PM

My wife and I quit watching the original series toward the end as it descended into general stupidity. That said, she got me hooked watching it again on Nick at Night and unfortunately I stuck with it to the end. "Roseanne" was never one of my favorite shows in the first place and having seen the last season now I remember why we quit watching it.
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

Forum Links
Forum Rules